Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification Required

Options
  • 27-04-2012 11:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Is the European Commission in Ireland currently participating in an official capacity on Boards.ie as TalkToEu John?

There was a previous official EC representative with the very similar username of TalkToEu: John.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If he was posting in an official capacity he would have the "Organisation: Name" format and his username would be in red.

I'll look into this, but it's off-topic for the EU forum so I'm moving it to the Help Desk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If he was posting in an official capacity he would have the "Organisation: Name" format and his username would be in red.

I'll look into this, but it's off-topic for the EU forum so I'm moving it to the Help Desk.

If it is an employee of the European Commission surely they would be expected to make it clear that they are posting in a professional capacity (as an official pro EU lobbyist,) in the same way as any other suspected party lackies would?

Recent radio discussions outlining how party political activists and professional lobbyists attempt to "throw" political interviews via texts, emails etc would make one suspicious of the bona fides of any poster adopting a variation of a previously verified username.

And if its someone attempting to impersonate the previous official TalkToEu boards-verified representative, that throws up more questions as to their motivation for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If it is an employee of the European Commission surely they would be expected to make it clear that they are posting in a professional capacity (as an official pro EU lobbyist,) in the same way as any other suspected party lackies would?

Anybody posting in an official capacity needs to have their credentials verified with Boards.ie HQ. Until they have done this, assume they are not legitimate.
    And if its someone attempting to impersonate the previous official TalkToEu boards-verified representative, that throws up more questions as to their motivation for doing so.

Remember, anyone can create an account on Boards.ie, using whatever name they like (as long as it falls within the Boards.ie Terms and Conditions).

And having looked at the previous rep - I would not be at all convinced that that account was legit either.

Whilst I understand that there is no way to prevent someone registering a subtle variation of someone else's username, if an obvious example is exposed, as in this case, should it be allowed to continue?

To do so IMO could weaken the value of the credibility offered by having TalkTo representatives accredited and verified, and, their reputation could ultimately be damaged by the continued existence of any similarly named users posting either maliciously or inaccurately in the same subject areas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Whilst I understand that there is no way to prevent someone registering a subtle variation of someone else's username, if an obvious example is exposed, as in this case, should it be allowed to continue?

It wasn't, the impostor account was banned already.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    It wasn't, the impostor account was banned already.

OK, thanks; I note that the user is banned and their last activity was on 1/5/12.

Clarification received/Resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement