Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Sligo May 6th 60 km route.

Options
  • 27-04-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there. Complete newbie here. (Did Rebel 50 km last year. 3 hrs felt like 6.:eek:). Signed up for Stephen Roche Tour de Cure Midleton 13/5/2012.
    I am wondering should I do the An Post Sligo 60 km the week before. Its on the 6th of May.
    I have done one 45 kms in roughly 2 hrs (21.35 km/hr). I have to admit it is fairly flat. Sligo is hilly.!!!!!:confused: Most of my rides are 20-25 km at 18 km/hr. About 350 km since the middle of March. I'm a fair weather cyclist.
    Going out Saturday and Sunday for 50+ km spins and then wind down with 20 km on Tues and Thursday.
    Sorry for going on so long, but I need to know AM I MAD????

ps I am from Glanmire, Cork. If any other newbie in the area who is slower than me :D maybe we could do it together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Hi, if you are doing the spins on your own then getting into a group on the day will make a 60km spin feel like a 40km one. I would not worry about the time /speed too much on a longer distance than you are not used to, pace yourself on the day. I am at about 40k spins myself avg 25k and am planning a 67k sportive in may also. I have had the same thoughts as yourself but there is not better place than here for encouragement

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PVMC

Reality hit me today. Thought I did a 44 km trip with wind and several hills. End result is that I am no where fit enough for Sligo 60 km. To make things worse I measured the ride on mapmyride. Instead of 44.35 km, I only did 38.27. My average speed dropped to 17.1 kph.
    Before I post again, I will improve my fitness and times.
    Apologies for wasting anyone's time. Bye for now.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Dont give up now. The fact you will be able to draught in the group would get you thru

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye you are well able for it, go out on the day and you will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

PVMC wrote: »
    Reality hit me today. Thought I did a 44 km trip with wind and several hills. End result is that I am no where fit enough for Sligo 60 km. To make things worse I measured the ride on mapmyride. Instead of 44.35 km, I only did 38.27. My average speed dropped to 17.1 kph.
    Before I post again, I will improve my fitness and times.
    Apologies for wasting anyone's time. Bye for now.:o

Hard going out there this weekend, especially on your own, you'll be fine though over the 60km in a group, the adrenaline and the company will make it seem like 40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Hi all,

New to this forum, and after taking advantage of the btw scheme, I am now looking for an organised cycle that might suit.

I've never done one before, I bought a hybrid bike, and have all the basic gear and am up to about 40k myself now, taking in some hills too.

From people who've done this cycles, is me pitching up alone on a hybrid with basic gear ok to do, and can anyone tell me where do they hear of the likes of the Sligo 60k etc, the only webpage I can find is for WW200, I'm not quite there yet!

Thanks and good luck if you go for Sligo tomorrow OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twaimkit

Hi,
    If you try the cycling Ireland calendar on their website it will give a listofcycleson during the year. Also the An Post website you will find a linkto thecycles series dates etc for the year and good info.Your local cycleclub or local bike shop have loads info. I started withahybrid but changed to road bike after first tour. But you will easily do it ona hybrid with your currentmilage. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrpdap

Hi, I'm doing the 100k Tour de Cure in Midleton next Sun. Distance should be fine but I've no experience of cycling with a group. Will this be a problem? I won't be leading the pack.
    thanks

Advertisement