Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Retail shop employee HELP!!!

Options
  • 27-04-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all im looking for advice I work for a large retail store (T****) I have tried to go to my union rep but they have been no use whatsoever to me so I decided to ask around. The situation is that I plan on going to Australia and I applied for a career break was told that it would be fine so I went and booked my flights and visa and everything then they turn around 2 months later, a month before I am set to go and say that I am unable to take the career break as too many people in the store are taking one so it cannot be authorised.
    I then went asking the people who intend on going on career breaks and found that none of them have applied properly for one but have been told that they will get it. So after going through all of the proper channels I have been declined whereas others have been told on a promise they will get it, this is hardly fairness and equality in the work place?
    Now as far as I can make out there policy is that once you have completed two years of service that you are entitled to two to five years of a career break and now they are telling me that I will have to quit if I want to go.
    Would this be considered constructive dismissal any advice at all would help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

its not constructive dismissal it is unfair

push the matter with the hr department and shop steward, you have booked and paid for tickets and the like and it will be your pocket that is hit, have a copy of your contract and make sure the info you are saying regarding years of service is correct so you have something in your corner to argue

also how long are you going on a career break for not that its relevant probably not but if its only a few months then i really would push the issue however if it was a year or longer i would probably just quit and look for something when i got back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Have you filled out the career break request form? I'd expect they would go by who has it submitted and what date they have on it.

If not, you have to make a formal complaint to your manager asking for your outcome ie being able to take your break. If that fails you can ask for it to be esclated to your PM then if that fails you can take it to the union. If your shop steward is no good, contact the main union person directly once you have gone through your line manager and PM. The main union person is the person who holds the union meetings instore. They should be able to raise a letter to the SM to see what happened.

Advertisement