Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 German Naval Vessels in Dublin Port

• 27-04-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Today while in school in Sutton I watched the Frankfurt am Main of the German Navyenter Dublin Port. I understand there are two other ships, the Hessen and Emden.

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this, or if anyone else saw them. How close can one get to them? Anyone get any pictures? Even from Sutton, Frankfurt am Main looked an impressive ship.

I'd certainly go down to have a look at them if I can get the chance, or if it's worth my while.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Cash transportation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Finally, they are getting serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

mike65 wrote: »
    Finally, they are getting serious!

Ja!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Has it something to do with last years cancelled visit due to Libya?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

I must go down and watch them over weekend if they're still there.
    Thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Any pictures please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

You could see the support vessels from the East Link approach road yesterday, but the main one was mostly obscured. I don't know what the story is in terms of seeing it close up from the dockside.

My theory is that they are here as support for the troika. Their report last week said "Ireland has done well" but there must have been some codeword there. Was there any sentence along the lines of "Ireland has done well, but may be in need of some ;) oversight ;)" or something.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

there are two german frigates visiting dublin port over the weekend, the f 221 hessen (a sachsen class ship) and the f 210 emden (bremen class) together with the “a1412 frankfurt am main” (berlin class) combat support ship. they are scheduled to be there until monday.

more info on them all to be found on the german navy's official site (if you read german)

does anyone know whether there might be a chance to get on board the hessen and/or emden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

3 seriously big warships for Dublin! Hessen is one cool, sleek, dangerous looking piece of kit.
    Why are they there, anyone find out yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

Just a courtesy visit nothing unusual,these pics were taking by a mate of mine down the port.38559810150777642489589.jpg
    38969610150777643424589.jpg
    57518810150777643699589.jpg
    56494310150777643934589.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭shaunandelly

Staying for the Referendum ?

nice, will have to go down and take a gander myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hm a German fleet equal in size to half the Irish Navy, but with greater firing capability is tied up in the Liffey, our budget is decided in Berlin. There's a word i'm looking for right now .....

ted1 wrote: »
    Hm a German fleet equal in size to half the Irish Navy, but with greater firing capability is tied up in the Liffey, our budget is decided in Berlin. There's a word i'm looking for right now .....

The next Euro infrastructure project. U-boat pens off the Wexford coast.

they (eav 2012) are on a voyage via the uk, norway, portugal, ireland, france, spain and on to halifax, canada where they are to split up. the emden and frankfurt then go on to the "rendez-vous naval de québec" and the hessen joins the us navy for the "commemoration 1812" and visits norfolk, baltimore and boston to represent germany there…on the way back all three are to visit iceland and be back home in june/july…

wouldn’t mind joining them…beats working in an office hands down…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

kate winslet is making a movie about the bismark.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Ve haf vays of making you vote ja !!!

Or perhaps at Das Boot-erstown.

Advertisement