Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best/most motivated gaelscoil in Dublin?

• 28-04-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

We are trying to find the best gaelscoil in Dublin and move beside it. If it is near the sea, that would be so much better for what we're looking for.

The kids are being brought up at home through Irish and both of us are committed to giving them all this advantage in life and we have had to work hard ourselves to feel confident in passing it on.

But now we don't want it to be wasted by their being surrounded by kids whose parents haven't got the same commitment as we do and who accordingly break into English asap in the school yard.

Where in Dublin would there be a school where the parents of the kids attending it are putting as much effort into their own Irish as we are putting into ours?

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I find the question a bit odd. Most children in Gaelscoileanna don't speak Irish at home so I don't know how they could live up to what you seek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

I find he question a bit odd. Most children in Gaelscoileanna don't speak Irish at home so I don't know how they could live up to what you seek.

You're correct that most don't, but there are places, such as Blackrock in Dublin, where there would be a greater proportion of Irish-speaking parents or parents who are continuously improving their own Irish. There are gaelscoileanna where parents organise many extracurricular events in the language and make more effort in this regard. I'm trying to find schools where there is this level of motivation among parents and a culture of commitment and innovation in language teaching within the school. I don't find that 'a bit odd' to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    You're correct that most don't, but there are places, such as Blackrock in Dublin, where there would be a greater proportion of Irish-speaking parents or parents who are continuously improving their own Irish. There are gaelscoileanna where parents organise many extracurricular events in the language and make more effort in this regard. I'm trying to find schools where there is this level of motivation among parents and a culture of commitment and innovation in language teaching within the school. I don't find that 'a bit odd' to be honest.

Why not Blackrock so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i went to scoil bride in ranelagh, it was the first gaelscoil in dublin as far as i know. its a great school and most people who went there went on to irish secondary schools.

literally next door to it is lips na n-og, this only opened when i was in school but apparently its also a great school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Dostoevsky wrote: »

Scoil Lorcain would probably be the place for you then. Right beside Seapoint in Blackrock should fit your wishlist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I think you answered your own question since you seem to think the parents in Blackrock to be the most motivated - curious as to how you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

is there even a gaelscoil in blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

sorry there is, just wondering how you know they are more committed to the irish language in blackrock than other areas

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You might be too late.
    We bought a house near the local Gaelscoil put my daughters name down and she is so far down the list that there is very little chance of a place.(there are 4 primary school in the town)
    They let siblings in 1st and that takes 40 places then there are 20 left,it doesn't matter that she is 3 and has good irish or that her parents speak irish to her.

Advertisement