Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comprehensive insurance for old car, worth it?

Options
  • 28-04-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hope someone can help. My trusty old toyota is due for insurance renewal, worth about 1000e but worth lots more to me. Is it worth getting comprehensive insurance seen as its worth so little in cash. If i don't have comp insurance can i not drive other cars? What would be the benefits, don't understand all the jargon. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Fully comp will compensate you if you accidently damage the car and there is no third party liable i.e. it's your baby. The insurance company will only pay a max. of their estimate of the car's worth, not yours.

Frankly for a car worth only €1,000 I'd say most people would simply take the risk themselves and wing it on third party.

Check with your insurance company about cover to drive other cars, this isn't necessarily dependent on having a fully comp policy, it's typically dependent on your age and risk profile.

Advertisement