Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

filtering

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

shutup wrote: »
    New rider here. Not aggressive at all but I filter traffic like everyone else.
    If I went around stationary cars queuing at a t junction. When I got to the towards the top the cars are bumper to bumper and the first car had slightly broken the white line.
    So Id be stuck, slightly on wrong side of the road with nowhere to get in.
    What would I do?

Which wrong side are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

zubair wrote: »
    Which wrong side are we talking about?

Wrong lane. Having over taken on the right

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Thanks Mjolnir. Your post makes sense.
    I actually did get caught out by this the other day. There must have been 60 cars backed up with no on coming traffic. I think most of us would have gone for it.
    All was going well and I decided I wouldn’t get greedy and go all the way to the top.
    I thought I’d just get into the next gap. Absolutely nothing. Bumper to bumper, couldn’t get in anywhere.
    I had to just nudge in at second in the queue. I thought I’d get in and give an apology wave and as I got there the first car got to move away so I nearly did cause a collision as second car went to move too.
    I felt awful and have rethought using that route as it’s always going to have that back up at that time.

shutup wrote: »
    Thanks Mjolnir. Your post makes sense.
    I actually did get caught out by this the other day. There must have been 60 cars backed up with no on coming traffic. I think most of us would have gone for it.
    All was going well and I decided I wouldn’t get greedy and go all the way to the top.
    I thought I’d just get into the next gap. Absolutely nothing. Bumper to bumper, couldn’t get in anywhere.
    I had to just nudge in at second in the queue. I thought I’d get in and give an apology wave and as I got there the first car got to move away so I nearly did cause a collision as second car went to move too.
    I felt awful and have rethought using that route as it’s always going to have that back up at that time.

I do this all the time, with the token wave of course. Plenty of poke in a bike to catch a spot if the traffic starts to move on you. Ice been doing it a while though. When I first started I remember somebody saying, if the light is red when you arrive to it don't filter as you don't know when it will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I just realized that this thread is from 2012 but I suppose it's still relevant. I was just thinking if anyone else does this trick when filtering. If you can't see over a van or jeep while filtering try to look through their windscreen via the rear window. It's usually just a quick glance but it can give you a heads up of what's up ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

rameire wrote: »
    just a quick question in relation to an above statement about not riding the arse off another bike.
    how far back would you say is enough?
    i usually sit back by 1.5 to 2 car lengths behind another biker.
    and also, I usually sit to the right or to the left of the biker so that they can easlily see me, i try not to sit in a direct line behind them.
    Cheers

To the OP.
    be wary of cars driving slowly or irratically, drifting all over the place, or sitting in the middle lane on a road, you will get used to these drivers as they are usually talking or texting on their phone, and they will never see you.
    you could be 6 inches from their driver door looking at them write a text and they will not see you,
    they are also liable to make late manouvers across a road due to not noticing where they are

As a +1 to this,be also very cautious around vehicles with an "N" plate and an upside down "L"plate squeezed in above a "Baby on Board" sticker,as the drivers resultant rearward vision will be limited......;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I just realized that this thread is from 2012 but I suppose it's still relevant. I was just thinking if anyone else does this trick when filtering. If you can't see over a van or jeep while filtering try to look through their windscreen via the rear window. It's usually just a quick glance but it can give you a heads up of what's up ahead.

Getting in front of them is better ;-)

Advertisement