Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to install a Sonos speaker in a bathroom?

Options
  • 28-04-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I want to add music in my bathroom ;) and one of the solutions I am looking at is Sonos (http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/play3).

I would like to have this mounted above the door, which is at least two metres away from the bath. Is this possible? And if so, can it be powered via the same source as the extractor fan?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Why not position the Sonas unit in a bedroom and connect a proper Bathroom Ceiling Speaker to it. Or just connect a Ceiling speaker to any Hi Fi system.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Homer.sim

Hello.
    Why not put a play 3 on a wall bracket.
    All that's needed is power.
    I have play 3 and free wall bracket.
    In stock.
    Its a great system

• Registered Users Posts: 4 R_Boogy

It depends...... if your bathroom fan has a permanent supply going to it or not, if it doesn't have a permanent supply and the sonos has to power up everytime you turn the fan on , it could be a pain in the ass waiting for it to connect to the network
    but you would want to look into the safety regulations before you install anything!!

Also the Play3 is probably not rated for a bathroom environment

An alternative would be to use an in ceiling stereo speaker wired back to a sonos ZP120, now known as a "connect amp"

http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connectamp

It is an expensive system for a bathroom and also depending on your house/bathroom you may not be able to retro fit this sytem .......cable access and in ceiling speaker etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Ours are connected into the lighting ring in the room in which they are located so the units are always live. Our spark just cut off the 3 pin plug on the transformer and wired it into the lighting ring.

We have one in the bathroom and have had no problems at all with it. Room is well ventilated and we have an extractor fan as well.

The Sonos unit powers two monitor C165 ceiling speakers. Have a great sound off them and a good depth of bass. Gotta thank the guys up in Richersounds for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ed electrical

If you are connecting to your extractor fan, depending on when it was fitted it may have a permanant supply at it which would do. Although Id recommend you put a fused spur on it to protect the smaller flex. If the fan dosent run-on after you have the light swiched off. You will only be able to use it when the light is on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement