Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DEBATE: Would it be a good thing if the Gardaí could know who did every crime?

• 28-04-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Do you think it would be a good thing for society if, every time a crime of any description (i.e anything against the law), the gardaí could know straight away who did it

I am going to make up a hypothetical situation. Let's say the Gardaí could have some magical way of getting alerts on their computer everytime a citizen broke the law. For exmaple if you were in possesion of an illegal firearm the Gardaí would know this instantly and come for you...

or if you committed a murder the gardaí would also know so noone could ever get away with anything.

do you think that this would make society a boring place to be?

To ensure this debate does not fall to pieces with people arguing over people getting caught for petty crimes like illegal music downloading or marijuana possesion, I am going to state that the Gardaí could only know if you committed the following crimes

MURDER
    RAPE
    BURGLARY
    HEROIN DEALING
    (AND ALL OTHER CRIMES THAT OF THAT SORT, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN)

Also so this does not become a privacy discussion, in this situation, the Gardaí were not spying on you as such, you were not under surveillance and the Gardaí could only possibly be to told by this magic computer what you were doing if it was illegal

So let's debate, would you want the gardaí to have such a power?

if there was a vote, would you want the gardaí to possess this magic computer? 20 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Where would I get my heroin if all the dealers were in jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Are you basically asking if it's worth considering not instantly arresting people for murders, rapes, heroin dealing etc because they make life more interesting? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Do you remember the shite they went through trying to get them to use the PULSE system when it was introduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

In all fairness the crims would just find a way to fool the machine like they always do . Wear a tinfoil hat when commiting crimes or something .
    Jim Corr has such machine thats how he knows about all the conspiracy theories going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dylonator

cloptrop wrote: »
    In all fairness the crims would just find a way to fool the machine like they always do . Wear a tinfoil hat when commiting crimes or something .
    Jim Corr has such machine thats how he knows about all the conspiracy theories going on.

the idea behind this argument is that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to get away with crimes, so your point does not come into things, although tin foil isn't a bad idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

dylonator wrote: »
    the idea behind this argument is that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to get away with crimes

The problem is that things like going for a piss up against a wall is a crime and bankrupting a country is considered a mistake.

So no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I'm in a public park, sat on a bench. it's late..* I'm lonely. Pondering stuff.. There's nobody here but me and this rollie. My only friend.. until the end. I don't even know it's in my mouth, so dependant am I on my respirator.

Now.. before you vote a potential 'yes'. do you really want me prosecuted for this?

*hypothetically speaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

So you want the cops to have magical powers?

Lay off the drugs man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Didn't you see the documentary the made about this....Demolition Man I think they called it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Do you remember the shite they went through trying to get them to use the PULSE system when it was introduced?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

why not have a magic system where the crime was "discovered" before it was committed... like minority report?

I am all for magic systems.. without thinking about the consequences...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Even with all the computer systems in the world for crime detection, the Gardai wouldn't be able to use them:D:D

Yeah, computing doesn't seem to be the Garda Síochaná's forté, to be fair. It wasn't that long ago that their website had a photo of the Commissioner on the homepage that was a .bmp file a fair few MB in size, iirc. Took an age to load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yeah, computing doesn't seem to be the Garda Síochaná's forté, to be fair. It wasn't that long ago that their website had a photo of the Commissioner on the homepage that was a .bmp file a fair few MB in size, iirc. Took an age to load.

Maybe the commissioner was sensitive about his image.

Maybe the commissioner was sensitive about his image.
    What, you think they showed him the .jpg and he was all like, "No fucking way are you putting that on the website! I can see the artifacts!"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What, you think they showed him the .jpg and he was all like, "No fucking way are you putting that on the website! I can see the artifacts!"?

Yes El Weirdo, I think that is precisely what happened.

Yes El Weirdo, I think that is precisely what happened.
    Me too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dylonator wrote: »
    I am going to make up a hypothetical situation. Let's say the Gardaí could have some magic
    So let's debate, would you want the gardaí to have such a power?
    you lost me at magic

so hypothetical that it can't be seriously considered

Breaks thermodynamics and that is not a good thing if you plan on spending any amount of time in this universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

DEBATE: Would it be a good thing if the Gardaí could know who did every crime?

Ned O'Keefe says No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There would be no crime if this were possible....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Life would be awful boring if you weren't paranoid that some day they'll find out about the terrible, terrible things I've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

In the majority of cases the Gardai do know who has committed major crimes, But knowing who done it and proving they have done it is quite different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

your argument is fundamentally flawed already OP, in that the little list you have there would soon be expanded little by little to include quite the long list of criminal activity, but since creative book-keeping is not strictly illegal, the gardai would have no way to detect this, and that's just one example.

and as much as you would like it, there is no such thing as 'magic' when it comes to computers, so you would be dependent on a team of engineers and programmers to keep the software up to date, not to mention the incredible processing power that would be required, or the electricity required. what it really would come down to is 'cost', and such a system would be prohibitively expensive for any government, let alone the irish one, we couldnt even get it right with the e-voting machines ffs! the closest thing i've heard of is the echelon system, and even that raises the question of peoples right to privacy, i guarantee you that you'd have privacy rights organisations up in arms over a system like this, no matter how you might be able to prove the system would reduce crime.

and then can you imagine if the system was hacked? or you even had a rogue programmer who was bribed to program the system to 'turn a blind eye' as such to certain organisations activities, such as the mafia or colombian drug cartels!

it'd be open to so much risk OP that even if they could cost the project, it'd be wholly unworkable on any practical level.

plus the garda unions would never allow it as it'd mean a cut in garda numbers and they'd fight it tooth and nail to make sure that no sort of efficiency that might put their overtime at risk, ever sees the light of day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

SENSE CRIME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

micropig wrote: »
    Even with all the computer systems in the world for crime detection, the Gardai wouldn't be able to use them:D:D

I love generalisation, it shows great intelligence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Minority Report was sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

kippy wrote: »
    There would be no crime if this were possible....

There would still be crime as the alert would be given after a crime was committed, not before.

So there would still be crime and criminals, and suspended sentences for those who only have a couple of hundred previous convictions.

There would be the satisfaction that the scum who committed an offense would be caught, quickly followed by frustration when they are released back into society because there is no room in our prisons.

Advertisement