Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phd duration Question!

Options
  • 28-04-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hey, I'm just finishing my masters and thinking about doing a Phd...but not sure if I can dedicate 4 straight years to more study? Is it possible to take a year out in the middle of it? How does that effect funding I wonder? Any thoughts on this would be great!
    Cheers.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

What field are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Vag

Doing an English Masters, with background in psychology...the humanities I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Depends on the University and the discipline I think. Im in my 3rd year of a humanitied PhD and am taking 1 year out. I can opt to take up to 2 years out.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Vag

Cheers for that. Nice to know it could be a possibility...four years on the trot without a break sounds daunting...offputting even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I'm doing an English PhD with a background in Psychology and English, feel free to PM me if you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement