Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conjunctivitis in 9 day old

Options
  • 28-04-2012 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

This only began Friday morning and its only in one eye, he has been very healthy since birth. This little fella came early and so is still at only week 36 development. But I'm cleaning his eye out at each feed because its almost stuck.

After only minimal googling, I've read that I need to contact a doctor immediately, and that in the UK, infant conjunctivitis is a notifiable disease :eek:

We dont want to be too jumpy and end up all night in the waiting rooms which will do nobody any good, or should I be jumping???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Ring the doctor on call.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Thanks, I rang the maternity hospital last night and a pediatrician told me that unless the white part of the eye had turned red then it was probably not conjunctivitis. She said that wiping with cotton wool and cool sterile water was the best way, wiping from the inside out. After that, I could take him to a doctor if it got bad but she hadnt heard anything from me to be too worried about.

We're using cotton buds [carefully] and cooled boiled water, you can roll the bud as you use it and get most of the gunk out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Ring the doctor on call.

This is the only medical advice that can be given. Ringing the hospital was the right thing to do. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement