Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed assignment being handed out. Now being refused to hand it up by lecturer.

Options
  • 28-04-2012 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Im a second year product design (dt001) student and i have a rather large problem.

Ok so last friday i missed a class in which an assignment was given out worth 25% of a module. I went to try get the assignment this week but my lecturer refuses to give me it and if i get it from classmates will refuse to take it up if i try hand it in (im not the only one in this situation). I honestly think that missing this assignment could cause me to fail the module (im not going to name and shame)

Can anyone tell me if he can actually refuse my assignment or will i have a case against him if i follow it up because i want to hand up the assignment?

It was given out last week and is due in 2 weeks time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

right the problem with the in anyway arty modules is a lot of the marking can be subjective, if you have him in one of these types of modules it makes it complicated... especially if you could have him in other years. the exam boards will never query their grades.
    so the nice way-get everyone affected together and tell him to cop the hell on first thing monday, if he refuses you march to the SU and head of school... actually swing by the SU first for advice

not a hope in hell he can do this, im pretty sure attendance is not manditory, it definatley cant be marked (we had issues there)

cunts like this is why i hate unions!

check with the SU if its possible but i know id want to throw these at him too
    ifd he is a grudge type id also make it clear that if he gives an unfair mark in this or another handup, you will want it rechecked externally... and with the documentation of the problems you may have a chance.
    id also go looking for an extension as the lecturer has refused to give out the brief - that might really piss him off and may not be worth it, but again check with the SU

my 2c but SU should really be your first port of call

• Registered Users Posts: 17 windward

i agree with overshoot

but i'd try one thing before going to the SU

if i'm not mistaken there is a course administrator for each course in DIT, had look at the DIT website this page gives you the names of people to talk to in regards to your course.

http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/productdesigndt001/

what I’d suggest first is email the lecturer directly (internal DIT email) outlining that you missed the class and are aware of the assignments were handed out and that you would appreciate being informed of your assignment and due date – do this ASAP.
    refer to your previous conversation, but don’t quote anything said between you, eg: just as a follow up to our conversation on the “DATE” I would greatly appreciate being informed of my assignment. + a bit of “Sorry I missed the class....”

give it a day or two and if no reply then contact the course administrator/secretary, bring a copy of the email. At this point ask for the extension. It might be an idea to have the SU involved at this point (independent observer)

there is a few things to remember;
    -don’t be a smart arse just cause you think you might be winning
    - Its a long game your involved in, ie: a course over a number of years
    -keep to the topic of the specific problem
    - keep copies of EVERYTHING like emails letters or notes from lecturer
    - if others are having the same problem ask them to do the same (strength in numbers)

MOST IMPORTANTLY
    Someone can deny the content of a conversation or that it took place but not what is put in an email

One of my rules:
    IF ITS NOT WRITTEN DOWN IT NEVER EXISTED

Advertisement