Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gps for iphone

Options
  • 28-04-2012 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

does anyone here use there phone as a gps ?

ideally would like an app for the iphone that u can cache maps and then use the gps function offline,

Any suggestions ,

Should mention i am into hiking and most apps seem to use google maps which isnt detailed enough for hiking,

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

is it waterproof ,need data connection, etc and main thing is batt life . otherwise possibly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I use viewranger on my android. It's also available on the iPhone too. Has the OSI 1:50000 discovery series maps on it.
    The best part of it is that you select only the areas you want and don't end up buying a load of area that you'll never use like on a paper map.
    In terms of free mapping with OSI level of detail I couldn't find anything.

I think I paid about 30 quid for all the mountain ranges in Ireland. The pricing structure is different on the iPhone so best look into it.
    It also has OS maps from lots of different countries available too which was useful for a Scotland trip earlier this year.

I only use this as a back up to a paper map though never as a primary means of nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I have an app called OS convert, it use's the GPS to give you a grid reference for either Irish or UK maps, however doesn't show you an actual map.
    For me it does the job because I'm old school and prefer to use map and compass, then I simply use the GPS merely as a back up. I think it was 79 cent so dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I have used everytrail - you use it to download openstreetmaps and opencycle maps which are good as they have walking routes and gradients. So you can avoid having to use google maps

Just a thought also but bear in mind that iPhones aren't designed to be used in the pouring rain in the side in the mountain, a proper GPS will have much better seals to cope with moisture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

True but an iPhone wrapped in cling film is actually a surprising cheap splas proof solution

(may not actually protect iPhone if submerged!!)

hick wrote: »
    True but an iPhone wrapped in cling film is actually a surprising cheap splas proof solution

(may not actually protect iPhone if submerged!!)
    And keeps your text messages nice and fresh too.
    Seriously though good idea, what it line using the display?

Advertisement