Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teachers, gather here

• 28-04-2012 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Inspired by this thread
    Im finished next week. With nothing to go back to in September.

What will I do? I loved it, will miss going to class and learning. Never want to leave. If I could stay there forever, I would. The year isn't long enough :-(

Have you ever felt the same as the year end approached?

I currently do.

Been through the hardest year yet, with my hours cut for next year it's not going to get any better but I still love having the craic in a friendly manner with students.

Currently I kinda feel the same though,,,,,,,,,,,"nothing to go back to"

Austerity is hitting hard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Domo230 wrote: »
    I felt glad to get out of the place.
    So did I

When you return it's very different.

I've had the hardest year though, 2 years of a class fighting me every step of the way but I've loved it..............apart from the parents

Kids I can reason with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

TOOT ON SON, TOOT ON!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

johnos1984 wrote: »

Wait, you have I presume a permanent pensionable position in teaching, and you're comparing your predicament to a student leaving college, how? Try being unemployed for a few years like the half million other people in this country and you'll be only delighted to have that "nothing to go back to".

Honestly how can some be so out of touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Wait, you have I presume a permanent pensionable position in teaching, and you're comparing your predicament to a student leaving college, how? Try being unemployed for a few years like the half million other people in this country and you'll be only delighted to have that "nothing to go back to".

Christ! Here we go, you had to be the first didn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Given that the OP says that his/her hours will be cut next year, I would assume that they are neither permanent nor pensionable. Don't let it get in the way of a whingefest about the public sector though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Been through the hardest year yet, with my hours cut for next year it's not going to get any better but I still love having the craic in a friendly manner with students.

I thought teachers were paid to teach not have craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Christ! Here we go, you had to be the first didn't you?
    What's that meant to mean, exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How stupid was it to start this in AH? Still since it has lets try and make it clear enough for the Daily Mailers who contribute here:

A huge number of teachers, especially the younger ones, will finish this May/June and be given their P45. They might have a job in September, but they will not know until September. They can't even start applying till August. Other employers will not employ people who they know will leave in September if offered teaching hours.

If you want to get anything resembling permanency - and that is not as sound as it appears to be, it could be a contract for 7 hours - you have to keep taking these bits of jobs to work up hours, which can take years if you are only getting a few at a time, and a minimum of 4 years even on full hours.

Also, they might have a reasonable number of hours, or they could be offered just a few, scattered through the week - one or two hours a day for example - so they cannot claim for the other days.

Yes, I know any of this might be better than being unemployed, but its not what is conjured up by the 'permanent and pensionable' label that is stuck to all teachers regardless. Many of them would have loans to pay off from their education.

Still, don't let reality get in the way of your fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

IBTL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Am I late?

I love teaching, I can't wait to sit doing nothing for 3 month, except complain about it

Think outside the box, skills are transferable

Don't like austerity? move in to an another area:rolleyes:

Home Tutoring for children with special needs will bring you up until the end of July

Qualified Primary School Teacher: 34.54 Euro per hour.
    Qualified Post Primary School Teacher: 34.22 Euro per hour.
    Unqualified teachers: 26.07 Euro per hour.

Travel to another country and teach english?

Lots of options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You missed out the most important line of the OP of the thread you were inspired by:
    Is it acceptable to ride a lecturer when finished?

This thread needs something equivalent in order to stay open, methinks.

(unless, of course you're a national teacher - that'd be too much)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

micropig wrote: »
    Am I late?

I love teaching, I can't wait to sit doing nothing for 3 month, except complain about it

Think outside the box, skills are transferable

Don't like austerity? move in to an another area:rolleyes:

Home Tutoring for children with special needs will bring you up until the end of July

Qualified Primary School Teacher: 34.54 Euro per hour.
    Qualified Post Primary School Teacher: 34.22 Euro per hour.
    Unqualified teachers: 26.07 Euro per hour.

Travel to another country and teach english?

Lots of options

No,no, you're not late.
    I kept a seat for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I have a family member who's a teacher. 2nd year teaching, has a crap class and is suffering from burnout working all hours. Might be packing it in at the end of the year. So I understand how you feel if you have a difficult class.

I could never do it personally. I've already been to school so I have no desire to go back. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Don't Irish teachers get paid relatively well? :confused: While all the while, standards are dropping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Don't Irish teachers get paid relatively well? :confused: While all the while, standards are dropping?
    No different to any other teacher

As for standards, show me a statistic that proves that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

I went through 13 years of Irish.....

Still sounds foreign to me :)

No different to any other teacher

Run on a search on boards, you'll find links to stats pretty easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

mattjack wrote: »
    No,no, you're not late.
    I kept a seat for you.
    cheers
    mj, good to know someones got my back, b1tches be crazy :pac:
    between july provision and applications in august, not sure there's any complaint here:D
    I have a family member who's a teacher. 2nd year teaching, has a crap class and is suffering from burnout working all hours. Might be packing it in at the end of the year. So I understand how you feel if you have a difficult class.

I could never do it personally. I've already been to school so I have no desire to go back. :cool:
    interestingly enough as you get more experience, the 'gooder' the classes become, surely the whole class isn't bad?
    yes and the longest holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dammo

Don't Irish teachers get paid relatively well? :confused:While all the while, standards are dropping?

I'd say standards are fairly high

looksee wrote: »
    A huge number of teachers, especially the younger ones, will finish this May/June and be given their P45.

Like many people in different professions these days.

• Advertisement

Run on a search on boards, you'll find links to stats pretty easily.

Adding to this, why do a large amount of teachers seem to feel that they and the profession are above criticism? If anything, the profession should be more stringently monitored than most others as it involves most of the formative years in a person's life.

Dammo wrote: »
    I'd say standards are fairly high

I never commented on my own intelligence, simply going by fairly damning statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

What's that meant to mean, exactly?

Congratulations! *walks off*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Ah Teaching/Teachers, the one topic absolutely eveyone in Ireland is an expert on because they went to school or know someone who has been to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Domo230 wrote: »
    I felt glad to get out of the place.

I'm not having a go at you but if that's how you feel about the job then maybe a change of career would be advisable.

Advertisement