Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Holiday

Options
  • 28-04-2012 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think it's natural as first time parents to worry about these things. We went to Tenerife in feb when our son was 13 months. We were quite anxious about how it would work with a baby but I'm so glad we went as it was a lovely holiday. We self catered in a 2 bed apartment and our son went to bed at 7pm, same as at home, so every evening we cooked, had a drink or two and watched box set DVDs that we brought with us. Our son slept for 13 hours straight every night do we were all well rested.

The one thing we figured out quite early was you have to do things that suit your son. For us that meant not driving around all day visiting places but just walking around with him in the buggy. He was in the pool everyday which he loved. Basically the way you holiday changes. I know some people bring the babies out at night which is great but our fella loves his bed time routine. There's no lounging around the pool or sun bathing. If you don't mind all that then you'll have a great time.

It was our first family holiday and it's given us the confidence to book two weeks in Spain in September.

Incidentally we met a guy in the airport on the way home and him and his wife had a son around the same age and they were too afraid to bring him so they left him at home and went themselves. I was a teeny bit envious of their freedom but seeing how much he enjoyed it I'm so glad we all went as a family.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We took our Son to Lanzarote last year, he was 6 months at the time and it was fine..

The first day or 2 he was quite cranky because of the all the travelling and adjusting to the heat etc.. but once he settled in he was fine :)

We got a good big parasol for the buggy so he was always shaded of course and just did a lot of walking around so he wouldn't get bored.. sometimes we'd take turns having an hour or 2 of sun bathing each here and there..

At night time we'd put him into his pyjamas after his tea and pop him into his pram and walk down towards the promenade, and by the time we'd get there he'd be fast asleep so we'd just put a blanket over him and have our evening meal and a glass or 2 of wine and everyone was happy out.. just lift him into the cot then when we got back..

The above poster is right though, just don't expect it to be like Holidays you've had before.. but you will enjoy it for what it is.. if that makes any sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I'd say go for it - my sis brought her 1 yr old to Portugal last yr and loved it - it's exactly what the others said - she just changed her expectations!!
    A lot of these places are much more baby and child friendly than here so if ur baba would settle u could def go out for early dinner with them!
    I'm going with my 10&1/2 week old in two weeks... Now that just stupid... Hehe! Again - expectations are to do same as here except hotter!!!! Makes it more affordable to eat in anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

We're just back from a week in the sun with our 3 month old, which i was really apprehensive about, but it was fine. She spent ages in the pool each day, we got all our meals cooked for us and managed to *mostly* stick to the routine, except she slept in the buggy for dinner.

As said, its not the same as it used to be, but still worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I brought my daughter on holidays to Malta last August when she was 8 months old. We were in a self-catering apartment, temp was around 28-32 degrees every day. She loved it being in the water every day and really took to the heat which I worried about as I am not usually great with the heat myself. Other posters are right though, it won't be an out late and partying holiday but we really enjoyed ourselves. I would say go for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

It's completely up to you OP. When my daughter was a baby, myself and OH went on a couple of city breaks and didn't bring her. I admit I felt guilty on the day of departure but once I got there I was fine. I rang every day to check up and there's wasn't a bother on her.

That baby is now almost ten years old and we now have another daughter who's a year old next month. We're going to Spain for a week in July and we're not bringing the baby. I realise that we'd manage just fine but as well as looking forward to the break away i want to treat the bigger one for all the help she's given me since we had the baby last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We brought the smallie away when she was 6 months old last year... And it was fun, but a totally different holiday. We went to a child friendly resort. She loved the pool and the other kids. She was crawling at the time, so wasn't too hard to watch. We went in late september on a last minute offer, to avoid the blazing heat. Flying was no problem, she slept both ways. The only thing i would have done differently was get a place with washing facilities. We brought plenty of clothes for her, but our normal amount. Forgetting how filthy you get yourself when you are rolling about on the ground with an infant, or getting their food all over you. I was trying to wash clothes in the sink after about three days.

We are just back from portugal with her. Wnt in april to avoid the heat (and high prices!) Totally cheated this time... Lined up the hols with the grandparents. We all went together to the same self catering place. So we got a couple of meals out this time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

I gotta tell you about this place. http://www.falconholidays.ie/holidays/algarve-holidays/balaia/holiday-village-algarve/

We went there last year with our then 20 month baby and I think we'll be doing the holiday village thing (there's lots of them) for the next decade or so. Everything you need is there at your feet. No cooking, no cleaning, no nonsense. If you want to day trip into the town the children friendly taxi men charge less than €5 per trip. (collect a few numbers) Get an apartment, it's much bigger.

I wouldn't just say I changed the way I do holidays, I'd say it revolutionised the way I do holidays. Does that sound cheesy? Anyway I love it now :)

'nuff said. See you there in September! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Do it OP, it will be worth it for the photos for the future imo.
    We brough our 7 week old last year to Spain and he just just stretched out on the sun loungers (in the shade of course ;)) and slept for 10 days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Do it, my daughter is 4 in July and we've been on 4 sun holidays (one of which was a foreign wedding) the first of which she was 9 weeks old.

Each holiday has been lovely, and were hoping to get away this august for a week too.

I've thought about going on holidays without her and lying around the pool and seeing other children and just feeling guilty for it. Don't think I could ever leave her for that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

When our first 2 were small we decided to book a holiday away for all of us, but my sister persuaded me to let her mind the children and to go by ourselves, the reason been we had never had a sun holiday up to that. We regretted it big time, the first couple of days were ok but it felt like a part of us was missing we literally pined for them the whole time. Dont get me wrong they were well taken care of and we had no worries on that score but we couldnt handle not having them with us.

Do what ever you feel most comfortable, theres no point paying for a holiday you wont enjoy. Personally speaking I wouldnt hesitate now to bring a baby abroad.

Advertisement