Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old MF 165 - what to do?

• 28-04-2012 9:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

I've an auld 165 that I use for the basic work on the farm: feeding big bale silage during the winter, transport box work, small amount of fertilising, chain harrowing, topping, rolling - nothing requiring serious HP.

I've the tractor 5 years now and it's given little trouble. The great thing about it is when anything does go wrong with it, it is easy and cheap to fix. It's mechanically fine but if I'm going to hold onto it there are a few issues I have with it:
    • no power steering! How much should this cost me to add on?
    • the clutch is very heavy. Not a problem until the last 18 months but I've something like tennis elbow in my left ankle and driving the tractor really aggrevates it.
    • Cab needs some work
    • I'd like to have seating for the kids - is this possible in such a small cab? The wife has to go away a few days at a time for work and sometimes I've no option but to have the kids with me when I'm feeding. They are 3 and 4.5 years old.
    • One rear wheel in particular probably needs replacing
    So because of my issue with the clutch and the size of the cab should I be looking at something else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

just do it wrote: »
    I've an auld 165 that I use for the basic work on the farm: feeding big bale silage during the winter, transport box work, small amount of fertilising, chain harrowing, topping, rolling - nothing requiring serious HP.

I've the tractor 5 years now and it's given little trouble. The great thing about it is when anything does go wrong with it, it is easy and cheap to fix. It's mechanically fine but if I'm going to hold onto it there are a few issues I have with it:
    • no power steering! How much should this cost me to add on?
    • the clutch is very heavy. Not a problem until the last 18 months but I've something like tennis elbow in my left ankle and driving the tractor really aggrevates it.
    • Cab needs some work
    • I'd like to have seating for the kids - is this possible in such a small cab? The wife has to go away a few days at a time for work and sometimes I've no option but to have the kids with me when I'm feeding. They are 3 and 4.5 years old.
    • One rear wheel in particular probably needs replacing
    So because of my issue with the clutch and the size of the cab should I be looking at something else?
    I was reared on the mud guard of a 165. Have a few kids myself now. Wouldn't fancy carrying them in the 165 at that age anyway. Spending a few euro on a new machine with a proper passenger seat might be money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I was reared on the mud guard of a 165. Have a few kids myself now. Wouldn't fancy carrying them in the 165 at that age anyway. Spending a few euro on a new machine with a proper passenger seat might be money well spent.

Yeah I was thinking that myself. So then the question is what cheap simple tractor has a cab with a seat/ suitable for having kids along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I know people dont like them on here and I dont have one or neither am i a dealer but the older zetors have plenty of room in the cab and are cheap . A mate of mine bought one and room for the kids was his main concern when looking for a tractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

How much and what type of land have you, do you do many round bales, how many cattle have you to feed over the winter.??

if you change tractors or buy a second one what are your prioities, such as do you require a loader, 4WD are you on the road to co-op etc and do you need a 35 or 40K box. If you do round bales do you want a tractor to lift 2 at back to bring them in???????

And most important what is your budget???:confused:

Farmer Pudsey

This is as a follow-on from a thread I started up a few months ago - Is a tractor essential? I forgot to put in the basics like you ask. Here goes:

Main use: Winter feeding, Stock get through 1bale/day but now that I have the place returning to productivity I see this increasing over a few years to 2 bales/day. (I drop 3 bales in front of them every 3 days). I'm keeping machinery to a minimum: bale handler, transport box, roller, topper, chain harrow, fertilizer spreader (small one). Don't have time to even get around to using what I have!

The 165 is sufficient for my needs but I want something with power steering and a roomer cab. Budget is 3-4k.

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3220951
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3209085
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3291945

I think something like these above you will pay as much for a 375 as a 390 and you might as well have a bit of extra HP. 4WD has an advantage on heavy land as you will mark land less spreading fertlizer etc also a bit of power from 4WD when topping or cutting rushes is an advantage.

The cab on a Qcab ford will last forever also they have one gear stick for high, low, reverse and another for 1-4 gears. If you get a 3 series the tool box is set up to act as a seat and you only need to put a pillow behind the little one back and as they get older there is a bar to act as a footsupport to keep them in place.

I be going for a straight no frills tractor back in the years stay away from electrics. If I could get one that never had a loader I would but a loader is a big advantage it would have saved me a lot of agony with my back

Fords can be a bit heavy on diesel compared to Masseys but for what you are doing it will not matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

International 585xl or 785xl. Loads of power, little area behind driver for kids, already one seat, additional easily fitted and they're safe and away from doors. Will be far comfier than you're used to aswell. Imagine being dry,warm and listening to matt cooper while you're feeding the bullocks :D

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3099518

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

just do it, that crystal looks dog rough you posted, I'd not bother with one of them.
    the massy you have, whatever money you spend on it, when done it'll just be still the same 165 with no safe room for the kids. Flog it!
    the Zetor 5211, great cab on them, look at the big padded mudguards at the side for the kids ........luxury in comparision to the mudguards most of us sat on when we were kids.

All the glass in the cab too, so They'd be safe, warm and dry with you.
    this one on DD looks clean and tidy..

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3183271

Full-10817790.jpeg

Full-10817784.jpeg

Full-10817785.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

MidlandsM wrote: »
    just do it, that crystal looks dog rough you posted, I'd not bother with one of them.
    the massy you have, whatever money you spend on it, when done it'll just be still the same 165 with no safe room for the kids. Flog it!
    the Zetor 5211, great cab on them, look at the big padded mudguards at the side for the kids ........luxury in comparision to the mudguards most of us sat on when we were kids.

Full-10817790.jpeg

Full-10817784.jpeg

Full-10817785.jpeg

thats what i would go for too once it has enough power what what you need. you will need weights though for lifting a round bale otherwise the front will be up. this tractor is like new and one you could be proud of/ take to runs etc. what are the hours 10000 or 1000? cant be just 1000 as tyres have a good bit of wear for only a 1000. and if its 10000 its incredably clean. this is the first time in my life i have recomended a zetor too :O

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »

Full-10817790.jpeg

Full-10817784.jpeg

Full-10817785.jpeg
    That would be just the job, I wish my 165 was as tidy as that! Ideal cab for two kids with one either side. Not as much power as the 165 though and I wouldn't want to drop below that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

That would be just the job, I wish my 165 was as tidy as that! Ideal cab for two kids with one either side. Not as much power as the 165 though and I wouldn't want to drop below that

I've an old zetor crystal 8011, plenty of room in the cab with a passenger seat behind the driver seat. Plenty of power and some machine to take abuse. something like that might suit..?

johnpawl wrote: »
    I've an old zetor crystal 8011, plenty of room in the cab with a passenger seat behind the driver seat. Plenty of power and some machine to take abuse. something like that might suit..?

That could be just the job with a bit of extra power than the 165. What is she like to drive? Is the clutch heavy in it? I've a dicky ankle and the heavy clutch in the 165 really gets it going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

It never ceases to amaze me how a 390 from the 1990s can command a price of about 10 grand and a crystal from the same period could go for as little as 3 or 4k.
    It's great that you can get the same grunt for 6 or 7 grand less.
    You'd feel like a right mug sitting in your 10 grand 390 feeding bales of silage and rolling fields and stuff.

I think that the 5211 is too weak for you job. Bales are getting heavier all the time as your land is heavy I be inclined towards a 70-80 HP 4WD tractor if I could afford it. If you had good dry land I be happy with a 2WD tractor.
    In that range you have the 5610 or 6610 series fords, a 375 would be sufficent however you buy a 390 cheaper, 70-90, 80-90 fiat which have a type of shuttle, 7340 or 7540 zetor. Alot will depend on your budget my own preference would be the ford but very hard to get a clean 6610 or varient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

That could be just the job with a bit of extra power than the 165. What is she like to drive? Is the clutch heavy in it? I've a dicky ankle and the heavy clutch in the 165 really gets it going...

Clutch is light, grand to drive. Would do most jobs for you...No need for weights or anything on front for round bales...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

ok, so see my uprated hp suggestion below :)
    I've a dicky ankle and the heavy clutch in the 165 really gets it going...

Crystals are not for the flexible, bear that mind, and it only has one seat.
    I think that the 5211 is too weak for you job. Bales are getting heavier all the time as your land is heavy I be inclined towards a 70-80 HP 4WD tractor if I could afford it.

true, so the 7245 could be the right solution for you - same cab etc, this one has a heater etc...good tyres too

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3097677

Full-10405789.jpeg
    Full-11332673.jpeg

and here's a minter 7211 2wd ...........for €6750
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3260935
    Full-11192076.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

our old square axel 165 was a complete pain too , the steering apparently once it goes apparently is near impossible to correct, our yoke was lethal trying to keep her betweem the walls, back and over on the road with about 8inches of play in the wheel, had power steering then for a while but only when turning one direction.

cab went to pieces, pure boneshaker, usual starting problems, ole lad turning key too far to the right and she'd be dead as a dodo sat morning when you most needed it

Put her up on DD and they were climbing the walls to get at it... good luck to it

Bought a good quad instead and all the bits and local lad stacks bales at baling in position for Winter feeding, feed 12/13 sucklers and usually couple of heifers outside and at the moment have no intention of buying a tractor

Bodacious wrote: »
    our old square axel 165 was a complete pain too , the steering apparently once it goes apparently is near impossible to correct, our yoke was lethal trying to keep her betweem the walls, back and over on the road with about 8inches of play in the wheel, had power steering then for a while but only when turning one direction.

cab went to pieces, pure boneshaker, usual starting problems, ole lad turning key too far to the right and she'd be dead as a dodo sat morning when you most needed it

Put her up on DD and they were climbing the walls to get at it... good luck to it

Bought a good quad instead and all the bits and local lad stacks bales at baling in position for Winter feeding, feed 12/13 sucklers and usually couple of heifers outside and at the moment have no intention of buying a tractor
    How do you manage to feed the bales in winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

How do you manage to feed the bales in winter?

bales are stacked at baling in like a haggart in winterage, stood up like beer cans with say a 12inch gap between bales to allow plastic and netting to be removed, ring/Round feeders are split and built into the fence and i fork it into them once a day, i gave up giving them a whole bale years ago... they gorge themselves out of pure boredom and cos they can,,.. i rather give them all a good feed and when the feeders are empty they head off and go picking and get a good lie for the night

• Advertisement
Advertisement