Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three personal hot spot

• 28-04-2012 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking to move to three from meteor.Is anyone using mywi or pdnet as a wifi hot spot to be used with a laptop or iPads etc?
    I know Three don't allow you to use personal hot spot to teather you data connection just thought this might be away around it?cheers

iPhone4s 5.0.1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

Hi fox, I'm using tethering on three a lot but I'm on monthly 40€ plan.
    Found it useless with wifi, does not matter which app u trying to use :/
    I was testing pdaNet, MyWi and buildin tether option and nothing works well on iPhone 4S. Its was perfect on my old Iphone 4!
    Maybe its just my phone.....got sick or something but its happend just from day 1 when I got it.
    Here are my stats from tethering with cable. Never got call from three that Im havy user ;)
    Photo%2028-04-2012%2011%2000%2041%20(1).png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Three pay as you go tethers fine for me through my HTC Desire. I have all you can eat data and they don't charge extra for tethering. Free data in Norn Iron as well so long as you stay on Three network

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Three pay as you go tethers fine for me through my HTC Desire. I have all you can eat data and they don't charge extra for tethering. Free data in Norn Iron as well so long as you stay on Three network

As long as people haven't signed up after Jan 1st 2012.

whiterebel wrote: »

I didn't know that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Cheers for the help lads as I will be a new customer from Monday this will apply to me hence why I was asking about PDanet and mywi as a option to share my data with my iPad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

The best way around 3's tethering is with MyWi. Well worth purchasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

naasrd wrote: »
    The best way around 3's tethering is with MyWi. Well worth purchasing.

Can't find this in the Apple store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm in since before that date so am happily tethering away. What do you think will happen when my contract's up though? Do you think they'll allow us to keep doing it if we extend our contract or will they stop it for us then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm in since before that date so am happily tethering away. What do you think will happen when my contract's up though? Do you think they'll allow us to keep doing it if we extend our contract or will they stop it for us then.

They are stopping the free add-ons for expired contracts as we speak, so who knows. They have stopped tethering already for extended contracts/upgrades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Can't find this in the Apple store?
    Only available in Cydia

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    I upgraded from a iPhone 4 to 4S on three, in Febuary (so i signed a contract after the Jan date) but still have free tethering!

It'll probably go next time they change the carrier file. There are people who have lost the ability already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

pdanet is what I use, creates a personal hotspot but makes sure it looks phone traffic and not pc traffic. Doing it for a solid year using a few gigs a month :D

It'll probably go next time they change the carrier file. There are people who have lost the ability already.

Wait what does this mean ?
    I signed up to pay as you go with free data. Will I be losing this ?

Wait what does this mean ?
    I signed up to pay as you go with free data. Will I be losing this ?

No, this is to do with tethering, i.e. using your iPhone as a modem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

I have personal hotspot with 3.

It's a nice feature which I use only from time to time.

If three drop it I'll drop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I use their tethering for work occasionally, that's why I joined.
    Mind it's mainly for mails and such, no massive amount.

Wait I'm going to have to pay for thethering then ?

Bye bye 3 if so

Wait I'm going to have to pay for thethering then ?

Bye bye 3 if so

That's the big question. If your contract started before 2012 you're allowed tether at the moment but I was wondering what happens when the contract is up. As they stopped free tethering for contracts in 2012, will they end it for people who renew their contract?

That's the big question. If your contract started before 2012 you're allowed tether at the moment but I was wondering what happens when the contract is up. As they stopped free tethering for contracts in 2012, will they end it for people who renew their contract?

Well I'm pay as you go no contract.

They certainly haven't told me anything about losing tethering.

Well I'm pay as you go no contract.

They certainly haven't told me anything about losing tethering.

Keep quiet then, because according to 3 you should never have had it in the first place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement