Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Partitions; When small, OS boot Fast. When big, OS boot slow.

Options
  • 28-04-2012 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody. I have a 1TB hard drive which I divided into 2, for OS and for storage. I've recently bought hard drives for storage so I thought I might as resize the OS partition and make it the full 1Tb. After I've done this, I've noticed a serious decrease of speed when booting. I'm just wondering, is that because I've resized it? Or have I done something wrong? Advance thanks for all who will read and reply. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Please answer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

Yes, an OS is fastest when it is put on a small (but big enough!) partition at the outside of the HDD.

This is because the linear velocity of the outside of the drive is much higher than the centre, so sequential speeds are higher. (basically the head is travelling over much more data per second). And the small partition means the heads never have to travel too far.

An unpartitioned HDD starts out like this, with the OS on the fastest part of the drive, but gradually the OS data gets scattered across the disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I've never heard anything like partition sizes affecting boot time, for what it's worth. Aside from bits of the OS being further away, increasing seek time.

Yes, an OS is fastest when it is put on a small (but big enough!) partition at the outside of the HDD.

This is because the linear velocity of the outside of the drive is much higher than the centre, so sequential speeds are higher. (basically the head is travelling over much more data per second). And the small partition means the heads never have to travel too far.

An unpartitioned HDD starts out like this, with the OS on the fastest part of the drive, but gradually the OS data gets scattered across the disk.

Does that 'outside' mean like the left side or the right side of the HDD (when you look at it when editing the partitions using a software)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

Does that 'outside' mean like the left side or the right side of the HDD (when you look at it when editing the partitions using a software)

Left.

• Advertisement

Left.

Thanks a lot :) I'll try to fix it up later. Thanks again

Advertisement