Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do I actually need a visa for a holiday in australia

Options
  • 28-04-2012 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I didnt think I did but now im not sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

You need a visa to enter Australia. You just need to get a holiday visa. Have a look at www.immi.gov.au.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

aido79 wrote: »
    You need a visa to enter Australia. You just need to get a holiday visa. Have a look at www.immi.gov.au.

How long does this take to be approved, I just applyed for one now, im flying out on friday. How is a person supposed to know this? I though visas are only required for longer stays, im only staying 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Everyone bar Australian Citizens require a visa it's standard, your travel agent should have told you unless you booked the flights yourself on the net then it's your own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Everyone bar Australian Citizens require a visa it's standard, your travel agent should have told you unless you booked the flights yourself on the net then it's your own fault.

I did this mistake in 2006.
    Flew over and forgot to do my visa. School boy error.

Quantas picked up on it at my stop over in Amsterdam, I didn't even realize.
    All got sorted out over the phone by them to I presume immigration people.

When I got to Australia and scanned my passport at immigration I was taken away straight away and questioned and then handed over to customs :eek:

All was fine though :D

I just applied for it there but im worried Im after making a mistake on it, they ask for residence address, is this my address here in ireland or where Ill be staying in aus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Nertballs

You don't want to end up on nothing to declare!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

You should have gone to NZ instead of uptight Australia!
    You can stay in NZ for 3months without a visa on an Irish passport!! :D:p

Whos going to bite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I just applied for it there but im worried Im after making a mistake on it, they ask for residence address, is this my address here in ireland or where Ill be staying in aus

Residence = where you reside = Ireland.

kiwipower wrote: »
    You should have gone to NZ instead of uptight Australia!
    You can stay in NZ for 3months without a visa on an Irish passport!! :D:p

Whos going to bite?

Im going over to my brother who is in aus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The travel agent did mine electronically when I went. If you're a straightorward applicant, no convictions etc., it can take minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

spurious wrote: »
    The travel agent did mine electronically when I went. If you're a straightorward applicant, no convictions etc., it can take minutes.

Yeah the same with me, it is a paperless electronic visa. You can do it yourself online here.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/evisitor.htm

see here also for more info on different passports.
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Australia#Get_in

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Im going over to my brother who is in aus

Have a great time!
    Oz is not to bad a place......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

spurious wrote: »
    yup. minutes. dont know what the prob is. did the op book online or something? travel agents sorts that out in mins

got it sorted, if I had arrived in aus without this done wuld I have been screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You can get a border visa, but I think the Airline gets fined.

Its likely you get to the check-in desk for the flight to Australia and rather than risk it they might refuse you to board. That why the Airlines check your visa, its for their benefit not yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

got it sorted, if I had arrived in aus without this done wuld I have been screwed

Did you organise your flight yourself online?
    If it was through an actual office they should have known to sort the visa for you too.

Advertisement