Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with the Smithwick's site?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

mfitzy wrote: »
    Personally would hate to see Council involvement to this extent. I don't see the need for public sector dinosaurs to be involved to such an extent to be honest.
    I would be scared if they are involved, the site will be left to lie derelict for ages. Not excactly noted for their efficiency now are they? ;)

Yeah, not like the old mart site which the private sector have done such a wonderful job on. :rolleyes:
    As for the rest of the site, I'm a little bit stumped...perhaps our own little IFSC in Kilkenny with hefty IDA/enterprise Ireland backing?

The IDA/Enterprise Ireland? Sure why would anyone want such public secotr dinosaurs involved?
    One of the reasons Buckley Park was a failure was that it was way too far away from the city, even in a car. Drive from across the river and it's a 20-25 minute journey depending on traffic.

I think the main reason that Buckley park failed was because Kilkenny City were poorly run, and in the end the club collapsed because of that. I don;t think football in Kilkenny, or even football support in Ireland, is big enough to sustain a stadium in Kilkenny City.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Einhard wrote: »
    Yeah, not like the old mart site which the private sector have done such a wonderful job on. :rolleyes:

The IDA/Enterprise Ireland? Sure why would anyone want such public secotr dinosaurs involved?

Do you honestly think the county council or borough council would have done better ? Please feel free to point out one major success story these jokers that employ 500+ plus were involved in that they fully managed on their own? Struggle to think of any myself. Ring road shambles anyone?
    If anything, it was their heel dragging that delayed the re-development of the mart site. They hadn't the neccessary infrastructure in place (which is supposedly their function) to allow that project progress in time.

IDA and Enterpise Ireland to their credit have many success stories and do productive work bringing jobs to Ireland. They are not the same as local authorities, nor do they gobble up the vast resoucres/wages bill that a council (or more) in EVERY county do. The inefficiency and ineffectiveness of local authroities in Ireland is self evident.

Anyhow, off topic, please feel free to add how exactly you feel Council involvement will help this project? 'cos I sure as hell don't see it. They should have an involvement, yes, definitetly. But to project manage something of this scale...shudder :eek:

mfitzy wrote: »
    Do you honestly think the county council or borough council would have done better ? Please feel free to point out one major success story these jokers that employ 500+ plus were involved in that they fully managed on their own? Struggle to think of any myself. Ring road shambles anyone?

I think Kilkenyn is quite a well run municipality actually. Look around Ireland and the UK, and you'll see many examples of bad public authorities. Ours aren't perfect, but Kilkenny always looks well, and that's due in no small part to the work of the local authorities.

It's such an Irish thing to always criticise and blame, and yet never ever give credit where it's due.

One thing that KK local authorities have done recently? Bought the St. Mary's site.

Another thing they are planning to do: the subject of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Here's an idea from left field, albeit one a bit more grounded than the Stade de Kilkenny:

A municipal campsite in the centre of the town?

Every single urban area in France has one, from major cities down to one-horse towns, and they are great for tourism.

Towns like Lahinch in Ireland have them too, though they are rarely central.

The buy-in would be fairly low since all you need to do is build an office block and a shower / jacks block.

You could facilitate camper vans and tents. There;s a pretty big camper van scene here in Ireland, wouldn't it be ace if you could capitalise on that a bit and bring monies to the town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I like it Fabby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Thanks.

I stayed in one campsite in France which was right inside one of Vauban's historic citadels right in the centre of the town - basically the equivilant of our castle park rose garden in terms of location and historic significance and enviornment. Lovely.

Cost about a fiver a night to camp there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Here's an idea from left field, albeit one a bit more grounded than the Stade de Kilkenny:

Every single urban area in France has one, from major cities down to one-horse towns, and they are great for tourism.

Towns like Lahinch in Ireland have them too, though they are rarely central.

The buy-in would be fairly low since all you need to do is build an office block and a shower / jacks block.

You could facilitate camper vans and tents. There;s a pretty big camper van scene here in Ireland, wouldn't it be ace if you could capitalise on that a bit and bring monies to the town?

Fantastic idea Fabby. Maybe a hostel type accomodation could be incorporated into the site also. Have every budget catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Well we have'nt a decent bus park, tourists would love it they might see the other end of the high st, or what about starting a new brewery?

Not much of a demand for a bus park, the Parade/Castle Road is sufficient

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Think it is a bit off wanting camper vans and tents, I suppose Caravans are down market for Kilkenny, and as for the comment anything to get people moving their bodies I thought sex was not allowed in parks these days

• Advertisement

ft9 wrote: »
    Not much of a demand for a bus park, the Parade/Castle Road is sufficient
    The castle road is only a compromise, a real camp park has facilities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't think it would be the best place for a bus park. The castle is grand as it's straight in and out to the ring road.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Plus most people who come by bus are going to the Castle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Einhard wrote: »
    I think the main reason that Buckley park failed was because Kilkenny City were poorly run, and in the end the club collapsed because of that. I don;t think football in Kilkenny, or even football support in Ireland, is big enough to sustain a stadium in Kilkenny City.

Possibly so but there's no denying that the location of the pitch had a significant part to play in it's demise. Young kids are able to stroll over to Nowlan Park with their hurls and walk in and watch Kilkenny play Cork. There wasn't a hope of getting to a game in Buckley Park unless you had access to a car. It was a terrible location.

I think the support is there if they went about it the right way. It'll probably never start up again which is a pity really. Now that I have my own car I'd love to be able to head out on a Friday night and watch them play against someone.
    fabbydabby wrote: »

Great idea. I've seen them in action over in France a good bit myself. Never actually stayed in one but they seemed to pull a decent crowd.

How is the campsite out on the Bennetsbridge Road doing? Do they get much business out there? I've never really seen anyone coming or going from there. It's a bit out of the way I know but it might be an idea to see how many campers they get so as to see if there is a demand for it here.

What would it's use be during the winter months? Realistically from November to January there wouldn't be anyone sane who would try to camp in a tent there. A caravan maybe. But definitely not a tent.

I'm not knocking your idea I'm just trying to understand it more. It has great potential.

Oh and a definite no for the bus park. My idea for the stadium was knocked on the basis of it bringing too much traffic into the area :D This would be even more hazardous. The way it is on the Castle Road is fine. Buses can swing around be the Left Bank and go out to the Ring Road that way or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny Towers Fun Park!! ala Alton Towers, but a bit smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

kleefarr wrote: »
    Kilkenny Towers Fun Park!! ala Alton Towers, but a bit smaller.

Nah the funfair comes round once a year and it gets ruined by a certain element. Wouldn't last.

Nah the funfair comes round once a year and it gets ruined by a certain element. Wouldn't last.
    A Colosseum where we can watch that certain element fight eachother to the death for cans of Dutch Gold.

catbear wrote: »
    A Colosseum where we can watch that certain element fight eachother to the death for cans of Dutch Gold.

Sure we can do that on John St on a Saturday night! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

- Football stadium
    - Micro brewery
    - Heritage museum
    - Skate park
    - Extension to the Watergate Theatre
    - Arts centre
    - Riverside park

If we got any of those, we'd be absolutely laughing. The potential for the site is too huge for the council to mess it up and when it comes to something of this potential, I don't think they will. Especially when finances are tight. They'll want to spend well and have something that will boost the city's appeal. A shopping centre, it won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilkenny360

Skatepark! Maybe I'm a little bias on that front though.

A Museum or an Arts Centre would be amazing also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Did anyone go to the meeting last night?

Or are we all talk...I mean type

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I once went to a meeting in a tent (a big one) in the market yard about 10 years ago, it was concerning redeveloping the market yard from a car park to an amenity and putting the car park underground.
    I'm still waiting on the outcome:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

hi5 wrote: »
    I once went to a meeting in a tent (a big one) in the market yard about 10 years ago, it was concerning redeveloping the market yard from a car park to an amenity and putting the car park underground.
    I'm still waiting on the outcome:rolleyes:

haa haa nice. you'll be waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilkenny360

I've been to numerous meetings about the skatepark over the years, still waiting for the outcome.

Advertisement