Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgages!

Options
  • 28-04-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hiya,

Looking for some advice. My partner and I would really like to buy our own home. We are currently renting paying 750e a month which we can afford. We have a baby and would just like the security of owning our own home.
    My partner has worked with the same company for 8years, part time, often getting full time hours, his management refuses to acknowledge the length of time he has worked there and say in writing that he is permanent staff.
    I work for the HSE (currently on maternity leave) and am not premanent either even thoug I have worked for the same place for about 2 years, just keep getting a 6 month contract renewed and will be returning to work on a one year contract. We have combined savings of about 21000e and a combined income of roughly 55000 - 60000e. We hav been looking at houses costing between 110000 - 130000e. Even though we are both stable in our jobs (thankfully), I fear our lack of being able to say neither of us are in a permanent job will stop us being able to get a mortgage. We have no debt of any kind. My partner also is back at college as a mature student. Is there anything we can do to improve our chances or any kind of scheme or anything that could help us out? do ye reckon we would just be point blank refused financing for a home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

From the employment perspective, take a look here:

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployees/fixedtermworkers/

Is your partner on contract, or is he on the payroll as a PAYE employee?

If he's a PAYE employee it's very odd that the company won't write a letter along the lines of
    "Fred has worked for us on a part-time basis, working a minimum of 8 hours per week, since August 2004"

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

as far as im aware he is on a payroll...thanks!

Oh the issue with his employment is that they refuse to acknowledge that he is anything but temporary staff as that was his initial employment conditions....8years later they still wont say he is anything more...illegal surely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Will your partners employer not state the he is 'permanent part-time'? or is he just on a rolling contract? You'll find it difficult to secure a mortgage if both of you are in contract employment. If/when you are made permanent in the HSE you'll have no difficulty getting approval for that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

• Advertisement

I think, when we get the time, we are going to go to the bank, have a chat with someone about what we need. As it stands the only thing in our way is employment status. If it is gonna be the thing that means we cant get a mortgage then he will have to go to his employers and ask if they will provide a written statement, if not then there is def a legal issue there that he needs to sort. Heres hoping I will be made permanent in a year

Advertisement