Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having your dog sleep in your room?

• 28-04-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭

What's peoples opinions on this? People I know said they do it, whilst others think it's a bit weird?

Do you / would you let your dog sleep in your room?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I like to have one room in the house not covered in hair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

I like to have the dog in my bedroom because then im not the only one begging....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

My dog slept in my room, and sometimes on the end of my bed, for nearly 10 months before I moved in with my boyfriend and my dog got his own bed. Never had any problems when he did sleep in my room and had no problems with the transition. My dog is a lazy sod and is easily pleased, anywhere will do for him to lay his head.

Also, my dog is short-haired and doesn't lose much hair so no problem there really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I leave the bedroom door open so they can come in and let me know if the need to get out the toilet during the night. Not really necessary now as I let them out before bed and they know to go then. The first few months with each dog though and they did tend to need to go during the night the odd time.

Anyway, they sleep anywhere from the landing to on the floor in the bedroom to under the bed or sometimes end up on the bed. They're great alarm clocks, when I hit the snooze button on the alarm they just lick the face off me till I get up.

If you dont want them in the bedroom then don't let them in in the first place. They'll get use to sleeping in the kitchen or hall or where ever you originally let them sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I have two king Charles dogs and the sleep in a chair in my room . The only problem is one of them snores like mad other than that there is no problem with them in the room I let them out on the early in the morning . At this stage I would miss them if they were not there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Thanks for the replies guys :)
    With a puppy there's a good chance he'll píss everywhere though isn't there? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys :)
    With a puppy there's a good chance he'll píss everywhere though isn't there? :P

He will . But they are very easy to house train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ours sleeps on our bed most nights. But he's also crate-trained, so he sleeps in his crate when he feels like it! :D

When we had the cat, he slept on the bed. Dog thought as the cat slept on the bed, he saw no reason why he couldn't too. Cat soon put him straight! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

Allowing your dog to sleep in your bedroom may cause problems down the road , depending on the dog of course, they can equate this with being equal to the human as one of its' pack, instead of the human being the leader and the boss so to speak.
    Keeping this in mind it's better to have their own bed set up for them in a comfortable spot downstairs somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

When we had one or two dogs they slept in the bedroom, but as the number of dogs increased it became rather crowded. They now all sleep downstairs and all are happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

with a staffie you dont have a choice :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

firedancer wrote: »
    Allowing your dog to sleep in your bedroom may cause problems down the road , depending on the dog of course, they can equate this with being equal to the human as one of its' pack, instead of the human being the leader and the boss so to speak.
    Keeping this in mind it's better to have their own bed set up for them in a comfortable spot downstairs somewhere.

No.....If a dog recognises he must get off the bed/couch/chair when a human tells him to there should be no problem.

My dog sleeps anywhere, sometimes he sleeps at the end of the bed, most of the time he prefers to sleep outside in his kennel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Hooked

This!

In my opinion, and it's just that... My opinion (I'm not having a go at those who let their pets up on furniture and in beds etc... My dog sees me as pack leader. He is fully crate trained and not allowed on furniture or upstairs. To let a dog into your bed means equality and you'll be on a slippery slope training him or her from here.

Now I'm no slave driver. Hugo has the run of the house when he's indoors and I like knowing he knows to behave. The crate or his bedroom is used for feeding indoors and is his area when I need to Hoover, clean up or let a guest in. He is told 'go to bed' and wait (in an open crate) until released. Verbally. He eats after me and will not leave his crate till I leave the table.

Dogs rarely will eliminate (poo or pee) in their crate as they see it as their space/area. As a puppy theyll need to be let out midway through the night until old enough to hold it for 7/8 hours.

Look up crate training. And look up 'pack mentality' and your dog seeing you as pack leader. Like walking through doors first, etc... It's not for everyone, but it works a dream for me, my partner and Hugo.

Hugo has a nice mix of yard, crate, house. And has two 'beds'. One is his crate indoors and one is outdoors under a raised deck with the remainder of the yard his.

He's out twice a day running/walking and at the beach or other places the weekend. I just don't want to give off the impression that he's in prison and I'm hard on him.

with a staffie you dont have a choice :o

I take it you mean you put your foot down and insist he sleeps in his own bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The dog sleeps downstairs varying between a very comfy looking large rug and a two seater leather couch originally bought for human use but quickly turned into a very expensive dog bed. The bedrooms are upstairs and he's never been bothered about venturing up there (the bath is the only thing upstairs according to him and he's not racing up to get into it!).

The cat sleeps downstairs at night and whoevers up first (not usually me!) let's her upstairs where she spends the rest of the morning in bed with me. I moved with the cat to a flat twice where she had the run of the place at night, normally started off with her sleeping quietly beside me and as the night progressed turned to using me as a trampoline to launch herself off the bed and thunder around the flat like a herd of elephants! Since it was only me there I didn't bother confining her.

I have no problem with pets sleeping in my bedroom or on my bed, if I lived on my own with a dog I'd definitely have him in the bedroom with me for peace of mind.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    No.....If a dog recognises he must get off the bed/couch/chair when a human tells him to there should be no problem.

My dog sleeps anywhere, sometimes he sleeps at the end of the bed, most of the time he prefers to sleep outside in his kennel.

'If' and 'should' being the operative words here, I did say it depends on the dog, but with the bigger breeds and with terrier breeds it's very important to establish from the beginning who's boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

My dog is a great dane and he slept in my room and sometimes on my bed from around 3 months to just over a year old. I have never had any problems training him, setting boundaries, establishing myself as pack leader and he has no behavioural problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

My pup hates the stairs because it reminds him of having a bath, so he's terrified to come up! He's perfectly happy sleeping downstairs in his own bed. :) I don't think I'd like dog hair and dog smell all over my room anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

I take it you mean you put your foot down and insist he sleeps in his own bed?

erm... :D

she starts the night in her crate but usually sneaks in when she thinks im asleep. like a cold wet nose on my feet isnt doing to wake me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Better than any hot water bottle!

I let her sleep in my room sometimes, if the heating is broke, if there is a storm or when its Halloween or if I really have to get up early in the morning, my dog runs like clockwork, has to pee at half 7 every morning.

• Advertisement

I hafta say my own dog after she was trained to know who is boss, was allowed into my bed where she slept snuggled up to me every night , but this was only after the roles in the household were firmly established, once that's done they never forget :)

She is gone now, died last year, 12 she was, am brokenhearted

I guess the point I am trying to make is that to be sure your dog knows that the human is pack leader and to be respected at all times , this extends to all humans and situations where you may not always be present so your dog can be trusted around children etc. This is the case in so many of the dog attacks we have seen in the past, the dog hasn't been trained in this regard at all. Your dog may be perfectly well behaved with you at home and in most situations but this needs to be ingrained in them from an early age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Last night there was 4 of us in the bed:o. Myself, himself and two Irish setters. Thunder and lightning in the middle of the night didn't help matters. It doesn't happen all the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

My bedrooms upstairs and she isn't allowed upstairs apart from the odd Sunday morning when I'm having a lie in. She has two beds downstairs one in her crate and another beside the radiator her favourite place to sleep seems to be the couch though. I decided when she was young that I didn't want her to sleep in my room and when she ate a sock that made my mind up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

We had our dog on the bed for a night or two and boy does he sleep well up here.

To heck with that, he sleeps downstairs in a central part of the house where he'll cotton on to any skangers walking around 'the estate'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

My 3 sleep upstairs with us most nights but if I want them to sleep in utility it's not an issue, once they have their beds, they're happy. But I like having them in our room and even though they're happy wherever they sleep in the house, they're happiest with us so that's normally what happens!

Nothing like getting woken by 3 collies wagging their tails looking for a cuddle! I love it!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

My girl has always slept on my bed :o
    I love it though. She's not much of a cuddler (except after she's been groomed and is missing all her hair!) so she just sleeps at the end of the bed or might pop into her basket on the floor for a bit.

I find it impossible to start the day on a bad note when you have to gently wake a sleepy dog who just does NOT want to get up- it's too comical :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Its a pet hate of mine, if you excuse the pun. But the bed is mine, oh and the wifes plus i dont shed any hair. He has his crate downstairs, his favourite santuary from us. His crate is left open and he has free access to downstairs. He's a german shepherd and we sleep well. knowing he takes a keen interest in visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ours always slept outside in his kennel until he was 8 years old and something made us leave him inside. Hes now 12 and sleeps in my parents bedroom (on the floor).
    Hes getting old now so we feel its safer to have him inside. Apart from having to get up to him at 4am every night there have been no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tommy my jack russell sleeps on a bunch of towels in the room, I've tried sleeping him in the garage but he cries and I can't take that. He isn't the only one who sleeps inside though, Humphrey our eldest cat sleeps on the end of the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angelbabie

i have 3 and they all have slept in my room in various stages of their lifes. we have bruiser who is a maltese and who snores. the snoring is like a jack hammer and is non stop. Scooby then is a miniature jack russell who loves heat and would be found under the covers. Needless to say the hair all over the bed from him put a stop to this, and then Nero our boxer likes to sleep with his head on the pillow. Also likes to between myself and my husband. He thinks i belong to him and is extremely jealous. They all now sleep together in a bed in our room....

Advertisement