Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergal Quinn urges use of anti-terrorist software to monitor welfare claimants

• 28-04-2012 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

"That money grubbing clown Senator Fergal Quinn now wants to use anti terrorist methods to monitor welfare claimants.The software would look for words like holiday or new car. This is the same crook who set up a separate company to get around hello money legislation. Full text at link.

Senator Feargall Quinn moments ago in the Seanad has suggested that the Government consider monitoring the use of the internet by social welfare recipients to detect instances of fraud. Keywords such as "holiday" and "new car" could indicate instances of fraud, according to Senator Quinn".

What a distasteful individual and yet another member of the freeloading class attempting to scapegoat the most vulnerable in society.

Why doesn't he start with the real criminals first IE corrupt bankers, property developers, politicians and public servants.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/101773

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

1. Indymedia, really?

2. even if this is true (which by indymedia standards, it probably isnt) what is wrong with what he is doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I want to live in a police state. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Who elected him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Welfare terrorism?
    If the same software is used to monitor his golf club buddies for worlds like; avoidance, loophole and donation, I see no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

1. Indymedia, really?

2. even if this is true (which by indymedia standards, it probably isnt) what is wrong with what he is doing?

They got it from P.ie

http://www.politics.ie/news/senator-quinn-suggests-counter-terrorist-software-should-used-monitor-social-welfare-recipients-use-social-media-290-comments4.html#comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Why not test something like that out on say, politicians and bankers first. Keywords like "brown envelope" would automatically expose the corrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

What an entire load of crap.

So someone on SW wouldn't be allowed to take a holiday within Ireland?

The DCA is a social welfare payment paid out once a year to parents and carers who have someone who needs full time caring. The payment is for respite, to allow them a break/a holiday.

Someone on SW could be googling holidays for someone else.

Let's say you have family abroad, older and settled. Perhaps aunts or uncles who emirgrated back in the 80s. What happens when they die and you go googling for a plane ticket to get you abroad for his/her funeral? Will a few days abroad be considered a holiday?

Just some ideas of the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

People on SW should be limited to holidaying within Ireland, keep the cash within the economy.

Fergal Quinn's idea is sheer idiocy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I would have thought the AH regulars would be all for this. What with the dolers ruining the country with their money grabbing ways.

It is early I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Unelected millionaire tycoon stamps out any last bit of enjoyment of life for the poorest in society"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

1. Indymedia, really?

It is actually true. The full text of what he said is available here (as is the text of all Seanad debates);

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/seanad/2012/04/27/00003.asp

Indymedia however, have put a ridiculous spin on it - it was a debate & he was talking about different methods other countries use to monitor welfare fraud.

I don't like the man, but he's done absolutely nothing wrong here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I really don't think many people on welfare payments are going on foreign holidays. . As well as that the welfare offices can't cope with the work they have now never mind giving them extra . I can think of one way of saving money immediately and that is to get rid of the gravy train called the Seanad . With their expense accounts ect

SW are allowed 12 days a year holidays in which they must apply for permission if they wish to leave the jurisdiction of the state.

I know this, I am saying they shouldn't be allowed to leave the state unless it's a wedding or a funeral or something like that.

A simple holiday should be taken within Ireland to help bolster our home tourist trade.

People on SW should be limited to holidaying within Ireland, keep the cash within the economy.

Fergal Quinn's idea is sheer idiocy though.
    SW allow 12 days a year holidays in which reciprients must apply for permission if they wish to leave the jurisdiction of the state for that period. The day that they leave the country and return is not covered in this.

A simple holiday should be taken within Ireland to help bolster our home tourist trade.

Send the fuckers to Mosney.

I think Mosney is basically our version of Guantanamo Bay now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Should all purchases be monitored too to make sure they aint getting the quilted jacks roll and fancy biscuits ?

Fcuk off, more bullshít time wasting crap from an ignorant cnut.

I think Mosney is basically our version of Guantanamo Bay now.

Apart from the bumper cars.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

What ever it takes to do the job and save many millions of euros .

paddyandy wrote: »
    What ever it takes to do the job and save many millions of euros .

Hitman to weed out the time wasters and clowns from prominent positions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's Mosnia these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I know this, I am saying they shouldn't be allowed to leave the state unless it's a wedding or a funeral or something like that.

Stupid idea.

People should be entitled to go where they like rather than forced into paying the extortionate prices in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I honestly don't see why not, any measure that cuts out fraudulent welfare claims are fine by me. The softy softy approach just does not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Completely reasonable and should also be applied to medical card holders.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Stupid idea.

People should be entitled to go where they like rather than forced into paying the extortionate prices in this country.

Stupid post tbh.

Think harder, then come back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

bleg wrote: »
    Completely reasonable and should also be applied to medical card holders.

I know a taximan that got one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kalel

The software to do this is very very expensive and then you have the storage(hard drive capacity) cost which would also be massive..I'm talking in the 10's of millions..no chance of this coming into play

Fackebook - Profile settings - Private. 30 seconds.

No way it would work, any attempt to do it would be an utterly stupid waste of resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Yep let's focus on making things harder on the people who lost their jobs and let the people in power who were responsible for the jobs being lost continue getting back handers and avoiding paying tax whenever possible, smart.

It will never pass but that is never the intention when things like this are made public.
    Firstly it's to distract people from looking up the ladder to demand answers, it's a lot easier to look down the ladder and cast blame.
    Secondly it's to get people used to thinking about worst case scenarios so that it's easier to take smaller chips away from our rights as citizens.

Thats what I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kalel

MungBean wrote: »
    Fackebook - Profile settings - Private. 30 seconds.

No way it would work, any attempt to do it would be an utterly stupid waste of resources.

You are completely wrong there..it is very possible and is used by quite a few governments..

44leto wrote: »
    I honestly don't see why not, any measure that cuts out fraudulent welfare claims are fine by me. The softy softy approach just does not work.

Then monitor all of society. All fraud costs the state money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

MungBean wrote: »
    Should all purchases be monitored too to make sure they aint getting the quilted jacks roll and fancy biscuits ?

Nah, they're spending it on drink and cigs instead of school books for their kids.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

In Ireland Great Ideas take years to catch on and must be tested first elsewhere and as usual the Lefties are AGIN it .

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ballinteerguy

ok, maybe its a step too far to monitor people all the time, but I do think that Social welfare should have an elite squad to occasionally monitor consistent and previous fraudsters who are still on the dole - this could be something they should have an a weapon in their fight against us, (the tax payer) wasting public money on serial offenders. But if they tell everyone about it that it exists, then people would be more careful of their postings..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its bad enough that the Chinese have to skirt words to talk about common ordinary things, now the Irish people might have to if the story is true?

Daftness of the highest order, if so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How do they distinguish if they are really going on a holiday... what if they're just saying how they just wish they could go on holiday? Is this being used against social media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Like if I write Nuclear bomb on twitter or whatever, does that make me a terrorist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

indymedia = left wing equivalent of the daily mail

nothing wrong with it at all. Thats a brilliant idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

"Unelected millionaire tycoon stamps out any last bit of enjoyment of life for the poorest in society layabouts spending money that could be used to help people who actually need it"

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Biggins wrote: »
    Its bad enough that the Chinese have to skirt words to talk about common ordinary things, now the Irish people might have to if the story is true?

Daftness of the highest order, if so!

If anyone had bothered to read the actual source of the comments they would have found he was describing how things are done in other countries. This was just one of many examples he gave of how other countries track fraud.

It was not a proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

How effective this particular method would be is a topic worthy of debate.
    But surely everybody here (except criminals defrauding the state) is in favour of a means of catching Dole Cheats.
    Your either paying into the pool and do not like seeing your money going to criminals.
    Or your taking from the Pool and in todays Ireland are either getting less money as there is a limited supply or your being painted with the same brush as those who are defrauding the state.

Now personally I feel the amount that is actually being defrauded is probably smaller than most people imagine, but I am for investigating new methods to catch out all criminals and bring them to justice.

For those saying we should not investigate these crimes while white collar crime exists ,thats a bit daft ,should we stop investigating murder as well !

For those saying we should not investigate these crimes while white collar crime exists ,thats a bit daft ,should we stop investigating murder as well !

For those saying we should only spy on those on Welfare and not all of society ,should we stop investigating murder as well !

Thrill wrote: »
    For those saying we should only spy on those on Welfare and not all of society ,should we stop investigating murder as well !
    I dont believe anybody suggested that all our resources should be put into catching welfare cheats.Just that this is a possible solution to that problem.

This is the main reason why I have always shown concerns down through my years of posting on privacy issues with new technological developments such as smart cards and electronic toll plazas when you have guys like this about.

He should go back to stocking shelves.

I don't believe anybody suggested that all our resources should be put into catching welfare cheats.Just that this is a possible solution to that problem.

The suggestion is monitoring SW recipients internet use to root out fraud. Should a blind eye be turned to the rest of society? Give them a free pass?

Are all SW recipients potential fraudsters and as such their right to privacy is less than that of everyone else?

Who is likely to cost the state the most when it comes to fraud, a welfare recipient or a banker/business man/politician?

Why not monitor them?

The stupidest thing of all though, is that after all the ranting and raving over Sean Sherlock, people here are ready to welcome the monitoring of over half a million peoples internet use with open arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Who do they expect to catch using this method people going on holiday for a few days instead of looking for work ? What will the outcome be ? Cut their dole for a week ?

Why cant they try to tackle the real fraudsters with multiple claims and using fake documents ? Why not try fix the fcukin problems rather then poke at it with all these time wasting bullshít solutions that wont do fcuk all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Whens the referendum to abolish the Senate? - the sooner the better. What an utter wanker.

Thrill wrote: »
    Should a blind eye be turned to the rest of society? Give them a free pass?
    I don't believe our law system works on an either or scenario
    There is nothing in tackling this that suggest we will not tackle other crimes, but even if they only plan to bring in new methods to tackle welfare fraud, it is still a crime and on its own merits is worth pursuing.
    Now I admit we are a long way from any decisions being made but I would imagine catching welfare fraud has no impact on the vast majority claiming welfare fairly , if anything it might reduce some of the stigma associated with being "on the dole".

• Advertisement
Advertisement