Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergal Quinn urges use of anti-terrorist software to monitor welfare claimants

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

is it the same Fergal who is a multi millionaire that took payment and expenses in the Seanad!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

WTF people. I know its not really clear what he means here but why aren't people giving out about his suggestion to use anti-terrorism software for other uses. This is how police states start

Harsh measures for a small range of activities/offences which slowly increases over time to cover everything else.

Sure why not use it to look at everyone. There's an obesity epidemic coming down the rails so why not start monitoring everyones grocery bills and punish those who purchase the odd chinese etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

mr kr0nik wrote: »
    WTF people. I know its not really clear what he means here but why aren't people giving out about his suggestion to use anti-terrorism software for other uses. This is how police states start

It's quite easy not to care about such things when it would be someone elses rights that are lowered.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

is it the same Fergal who is a multi millionaire that took payment and expenses in the Seanad!!!!

If you don't accept payment then you lower the worth of the work ?
    If he did a good job then why not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I've just read the Social Welfare and Pensions Bill 2012 that was posted in the link.
    Jesus wept.
    I kid you not but they actually make a comparison about Hitler in it:eek::eek

Senator Fidelma Healy Eames making ridiculous comparisons about the young unemployed in Ireland and how Hitler came to power under the same conditions.
    She has compared the young unemployed people of this country, who given the chance of a job would jump at it in 99% of cases, to HITLER YOUTH:mad:
    Give me a fu*king break.
    These people are getting paid whopping salaries to spout that sh*t.
    And as usual, one very important thing is missed every time SW is brought up.

Let's say(and I am just giving roundabout figures for argument sake)there are 450.000 people on SW.
    And lets say that one sixth of these are what a lot of people like to term "scroungers". So 50,000 then.
    That leaves 400,000 people who worked through the boom and long before in the majority of cases. Who have now found themselves in the ****ty circumstance of being unemployed, with no money for heating never mind holidays.
    That's 400,000 people who live with the stigma and stress of being unemployed.
    Once again the people who were elected and given a mandate to govern feel rather than looking "up" to make cuts(where the take would be significantly more)these "people" and I use that term very loosely, who are supposed to look after the most vunerable in the state, feel its easier to look "down" to make these cuts.
    Sure why not look down, that's where you'll find most of the people on SW.
    Down very, very low.
    Don't we as a society look down on them anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

We should all start learning Newspeak while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

He should never have taken a penny from social welfare recipients so. There were always cheaper places to shop in. Surely this would work out better for the SW recipient as their dole money would go further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

hes running after smallfry,he should watch his own collegues in the dail and in fas if he wants to see a finer example of fraud..
    people on the dole are entitled to their ten days holiday,they have to fund it themselves(before any ill informed clowns jump in saying they get free hols money they dont)..you have to scrimp and save those pennies just to get a break from the reality of poverty..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Nah, they're spending it on drink and cigs instead of school books for their kids.

most of their kids don't go into school anyways :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement