Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography- Geoecology

• 28-04-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hey there boardsers! Going for the A2 in Geography, this year. The Project was given up yesterday, and I think I should get near enough the 20% for it.

The next section I think to try and get top marks in is Geoecology. I got 74/80 in the Mocks, but want to try and get the full marks when it counts.

Do you think this list would be enough to get me through the exam? :
    • Human Influence on Soils (OG, OC, and Desertification)
    • Characteristics of Brown Earth Soils
    • Plant/Animal Adaptations to Biome
    • Human Influences of the Biome
    • Characteristics of a Biome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Is that just four essays in total? I dont do geoecology so I dont know how that ones laid out, but I wouldnt be too sure if 4 essays is enough?
    For my option I'm not even sure what I'll be learning :pac: But I'd try to get at least 6 with the widest variety possible, unless geoecology is repetitive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Is that just four essays in total? I dont do geoecology so I dont know how that ones laid out, but I wouldnt be too sure if 4 essays is enough?
    For my option I'm not even sure what I'll be learning :pac: But I'd try to get at least 6 with the widest variety possible, unless geoecology is repetitive :)
    Oops, forgot one. Yeah 5 in all I was thinking. :S

5 would probably be enough actually because the 4 options dont seem to have a huge variety, my teacher just drilled the fear of god into me because he did every question on the syllabus and yeah, there was loads :pac: I'd just say to have a general idea of most and know 5/6 essays in depth should be grand :)

5 would probably be enough actually because the 4 options dont seem to have a huge variety, my teacher just drilled the fear of god into me because he did every question on the syllabus and yeah, there was loads :pac: I'd just say to have a general idea of most and know 5/6 essays in depth should be grand :)
    Well from the 5 in the list above ^:

2011- 2 of those came up
    2010- 2 of those came up
    2009- 2 of those came up
    2008- 2 of those came up
    2007- 3 of those came up
    2006- 2 of those came up

So I would have had of choice of 2/3 essays each year!

Oh well then go for it! Might even learn them myself now after those statistics :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Im learning just 3, possibly 4

Human Influences of the Biome is the one I'll learn best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I did the exact same ones, but my characteristics of a biome and animal/plant adaptations were in the same essay.
    Go full marks on it in the mock anyways, and you could save yourself some work.
    So yeah, think those should be fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Yeah I'm doing the exact same but rather than characteristics of a biome I'm doing 2 soil forming processes. Didn't characteristics of a biome come up in the last 2 years? Not too sure if that'd come up tbh! Still though, you'll be fine!

Btw, how long are your option essays in length? Is 2 and a half the ideal length or..?

Wesc. wrote: »
    Yeah I'm doing the exact same but rather than characteristics of a biome I'm doing 2 soil forming processes. Didn't characteristics of a biome come up in the last 2 years? Not too sure if that'd come up tbh! Still though, you'll be fine!

Btw, how long are your option essays in length? Is 2 and a half the ideal length or..?
    I'm not trying to freak you out, or say that i'm right or anything- but I did the Characteristics of B.E.S (Brown Earths) in the Pre and it was over 5 pages :S. I still didn't get full marks though!

Wesc. wrote: »

Mine or all at least 3 1/2 - 4 pages.
    Quality not quantity though I guess.
    If you can fit your 40 srps into 2 1/2 pages then thats perfect :)

• Advertisement

40 srps?! Its 24!
    My teacher actually does it as 40 too...but it is 24, just look at the marking scheme :) Personally I do it in bullets coz he says we can (even though I know you cant) and it takes me..3 pages? But my option needs diagrams too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I am going for the A1 and I got 74/80 in my characteristics of a biome question in my pre :P It was about 3 and half pages. I want full marks in this section in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I got full marks for my characteristics of a biome in the pre and wrote 4 pages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Oh well then go for it! Might even learn them myself now after those statistics :P

Same, those stats have me hooked in

40 srps?! Its 24!
    My teacher actually does it as 40 too...but it is 24, just look at the marking scheme :) Personally I do it in bullets coz he says we can (even though I know you cant) and it takes me..3 pages? But my option needs diagrams too.

How is it 24? I dont understand :/
    I spose diagrams can make up to 6 marks, I still dont get the 24 srps though.

Never looked at the marking scheme I take it? :P

3 headings = 8 srps under each. Then you get marks for getting srps!
    4 headings = 6 srps each, and 4 marks graded. So getting 6 srps would net you the four extra marks, but only getting 5 srps might mean you only get 3 of them which would be 4 + (5x2) + 3 = 17/20 :)

Never looked at the marking scheme I take it? :P

3 headings = 8 srps under each. Then you get marks for getting srps!
    4 headings = 6 srps each, and 4 marks graded. So getting 6 srps would net you the four extra marks, but only getting 5 srps might mean you only get 3 of them which would be 4 + (5x2) + 3 = 17/20 :)

No, marking schemes confuse me :/
    I get it now though :)
    Still think Im gonna keep mine the same though, just cos I have them learnt, but at least I know now if I'm stuck for time I can leave out a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MartieG

Would it be ok if I just study the biome for the Geo section of the exam?...There will be at least 1 biome question.

Hey there boardsers! Going for the A2 in Geography, this year. The Project was given up yesterday, and I think I should get near enough the 20% for it.

The next section I think to try and get top marks in is Geoecology. I got 74/80 in the Mocks, but want to try and get the full marks when it counts.

Do you think this list would be enough to get me through the exam? :
    • Human Influence on Soils (OG, OC, and Desertification)
    • Characteristics of Brown Earth Soils
    • Plant/Animal Adaptations to Biome
    • Human Influences of the Biome
    • Characteristics of a Biome

Advertisement