Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro's and cons of doing a postgrad in UK vs Ireland

Options
  • 28-04-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Looking for some suggestions from those of you more familiar with this than myself.

I am currently looking at starting a masters in the coming academic year and after researching my options it appears there is a significant choice to be made. On one hand, the course I think would be the most beneficial would be an MRes in Imperial College London. Obviously this is a top-class institute, with a massive reputation, as well as offering the course I think would be perfect for me. However, I am concerned about the financial outlay I would encounter in undertaking my postgrad studies in the UK. I don't think I would be entitled to any financial aid over there, so I'm left with the prospect of running up a sizeable student loan to pay for my time there.

Conversely, there is a MSc. in the same area available to do in Coleraine. Therefore, I may be able to get some assistance with tuition fees.

I am correct in assuming that a masters from Imperial College would significantly improve prospects for job/study progression in the future?

Have people been in a similar position where there was a trade off between quality of degree/ cost of doing it? If so what advice would you give.

All opinions would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

little bump to see if we can get this thing going...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

It kind of depends what your subject area is and whether you're looking to go on to do a PhD or go on to get a job.

For me, I made the trip because I felt the department I was going to was miles ahead of anything I could've done in Ireland, because I wanted to live in London and because I felt like I'd have far more opportunities when I came out the other side then I would've done in Ireland.

In terms of finance, that's the tricky part. You're probably too late to apply for any bursaries and taking on a loan, if you can, it is something you should really weigh up the pros and cons for. You should thrall Imperials website and find out about bursaries/grants for your course. It's a fairly wealthy college so I'd be surprised if there wasn't anything going. If they do, then think about holding off a year and applying for them. You're still young and that year isn't going to do you any harm. It'd also give you a chance to save up some cash and get out of college for a bit (which is no bad thing).

So yeah, I would say to most people to go for it, because I'd happily make the same decision again, but to really know how they're going to do it financially, and if that means delaying it for a year, then do it

Thanks, really informative reply. Has helped a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

danlen wrote: »
    On one hand, the course I think would be the most beneficial would be an MRes in Imperial College London.
    Conversely, there is a MSc. in the same area available to do in Coleraine. Therefore, I may be able to get some assistance with tuition fees.
    I might be missing something here – London and Coleraine are both in the UK?
    danlen wrote: »
    I am correct in assuming that a masters from Imperial College would significantly improve prospects for job/study progression in the future?
    As Cannibal Ox says, it really depends on what it is you want to do. I think people are often a little too quick to assume that a Masters is a good investment in terms of employment prospects – I don’t think it’s a good reason to do one. Experience is generally going to be more valuable in a job search than a qualification.

As regards choosing between Imperial and Coleraine, it’s difficult to offer an opinion without knowing the details of the course. Sure, Imperial has a great reputation, but that doesn’t mean every course offered is good value for money relative to elsewhere. But, it would give you the opportunity to live in London, although bear in mind that London’s a very expensive place to live.

Lots to think about!

djpbarry wrote: »
    I might be missing something here – London and Coleraine are both in the UK?

In terms of securing financial aid towards tuition fees from local authorities, the NI colleges are included, those in England are not.

My fault, should of made that clearer!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

very very few people confuse UU at Coleraine with Imperial, even the most partisan supporters. Coleraine has some good courses etc but in general go to the highest quality place. Look at the rankings and look at the last RFE rankings in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 YumYumies

Hi Danlin,
    In terms of ranking, obviously Imperial will rate better. However I do not believe that your job prospects will be any better having attended Imperial over Ulster. Your overall grade, experience and personality will have the biggest impact here.
    Although I did not attend Imperial College, I did attend King's College London and undertook an MSc there, and let me just tell you that the financial pressure (in terms of living expenses, travel expenses and tuition expenses alone without even factoring in food etc) was enormous. I spent approximately 25grand in the year and I believe I was quite frugal. London is a very exciting city, but you need money to enjoy it.
    Although I thoroughly enjoyed London and the Uni, I have decided to undertake another postgrad starting in Sept in Coleraine on the grounds that I do not want to be in dept for the rest of my life and Coleraine offer the course that I want to do. However I noticed from your original post that the course that you prefer is offered at Imperial, if this is the case then perhaps doing the course in Coleraine would disappoint you ?

My advice to you would be to have a good look at all your finances and available funding (Irish students are not entitled to UK student finance) and make sure the course is right for you before making a decision on what Uni to attend in Sept. If you think you would like to do a PhD after you finish your masters, think about how will pay back a student loan whilst doing this.

Also check out the closing dates for applications, I’m sure quite a few have already closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

blucey wrote: »
    Look at the rankings...
    Rankings shouldn't come into it. As YumYumies says, there's no way, in terms of job prospects, that Imperial is going to look all that superior to Ulster.

Thanks to all that have replied. Plenty of food for thought. Looks like I'llbe spending a bit of time weighing up my options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

My dear danlen, I'm a latecome to this thread, but I will say this to you: Follow your heart and no-one else's. In life, I've already recognised that when you put your head down and do things for yourself with great panache and energy, others will take notice and will want to associate with you. Follow your dream and take chances. It seems that you really want to come to the UK and, to be honest, doing just that completely changed my life for the better back in 2009.

Take care
    Kevin

• Advertisement
Advertisement