Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur trying to look professional

• 28-04-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Alright guys, I never realised there was a forum for this and I guess I will he harassing the forum a lot more regularly now.

I run this youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/BoxingIrelandDotCom

I've learnt stuff as I went along and have no formal training in anything to do with media, editing, photography etc etc but I'd like to up the level of quality.

I've two comments/questions.

1. I use a regular camera that has a video function. I would like to get a new video camera that I plug a mic into. Something that was cheap, small easily portable and could stick in my bag, or preferably pocket.

2. I use Windows Live Movie Maker. I found it pretty easy to use and have gotten pretty good at using it but it is pretty limited.

Can anyone suggest something a step up that is equally as user friendly.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

1. I use a regular camera that has a video function. I would like to get a new video camera that I plug a mic into. Something that was cheap, small easily portable and could stick in my bag, or preferably pocket.

2. I use Windows Live Movie Maker. I found it pretty easy to use and have gotten pretty good at using it but it is pretty limited.

Can anyone suggest something a step up that is equally as user friendly.

Thanks for reading.
    You seem a bit overly cautious about stepping up to pro gear. Obviously pro gear is more expensive but what you've achieved with cheap gear is fairly good so you'd probably see big benefits in getting better gear.

I wouldn't be afraid of pro video editors for example, they're not that much more complicated from a basic editing point of view. With Adobe Premiere you're basically working the same way as in movie maker you just have much more control over smaller details. It's only the likes of after effects that has a step learning curve.

The same goes for better cameras, you'll have way more control over the camera but all these cameras come with excellent auto settings so it's not like you won't be able to just film something without knowing everything about the camera first.
    That doesn't mean you have to buy a €3000 camera it just means you have to look out for certain features when buying. Things like having XLR audio connectors. Others might be better able to tell what those features are and then you can look for a good 2nd hand camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

thanks for the advice and I am going to upgrade to Adobe Premiere for the video editing.

Hope it helps.

As for the camera. Are there any "half decent" camcorders that allow you to input a mic that you would recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Can_Solo

There is no right or wrong answer to a question like that but, without knowing your budget, if I was in your position, and being a big fan of Panasonic gear, I would be looking at the HDC TM900.

It may seem a bit pricey but you will get superb results with a cam like that and it has lots of pro functions and manual controls. It is really a hybrid camera known as prosumer ( too clever to be consumer yet not a pro camera either.)

Alternatively, if your feeling like doing some study on the subject, you could pick up a Panasonic Gh2 with a 20mm f1.7 lens. This will give you pro results at consumer prices, but does have a steep learning curve and you will need at least a monopod and seperate audio recorder like the Zoom H1.

Both of these options use the AVCHD codec, this means you will need an above average PC/Mac to edit in real time if you do not convert it. Some people say they can get by on a dual core processor but I am using an i7 quad core with 8Gbs RAM it can still be stretched at times.

I would go with the GH2 and enjoy the ride. Your on the edge of the abyss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd be a bit wary about using a DSLR for video, I think a DSLR would make an excellent companion to a camcorder but as a main camera it may not be ideal the camera body isn't designed for video work. If your looking to do just video the limitations of DSLR will become a bottleneck. You will need other equipment to overcome the shortcomings of DSLR used for video. You can get attachments for camcorders to use DSLR lens so depending on what your trying to achieve.

I'm using a second hand Sony HVR AE1 and one thing I notice about it is how editable the video coming off it is. The picture looks ok as standard but seems to have a lot of detail in it to the point it can be made look really good inside an editor.

Advertisement