Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day: Bring Out The Transfer Gimp!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    To be honest, the size of the clearout there is staggering - Milan will be a completely different entity this year.

A mess of their own making in ways; they just by and large let the squad age and when they did buy it was the likes of Van Bommel who wasn't exactly a new kid on the block at the time.

Tbh its a fantastic opportunity for Milan to completely rebuild the squad and set themselves up for the next few years; if they continue their successful raids on Serie A in Brazil and hoover up the young indigenous talent they'll be well placed domestically at least in the next decade or so.

Having said that, and I think its been mentioned, it is somewhat galling to see a club like Milan being raided for talent like that.

Seems like there's nothing for it these days but to become some Billionaires plaything if you wish to compete.

To keep this somewhat on topic; Carlos Vela is on the brink of joining Real Sociedad for circa £5m. Pity, thought he was going to be a big player for Arsenal initially, the club spent a huge amount of time on him re loans and permits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

PSG & Ibra will be laughing to a title this year. With the team there assembling they could go deep in the UCL also.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    PSG & Ibra will be laughing to a title this year. With the team there assembling they could go deep in the UCL also.

Disagree with this; CL is a curious beast, you can't really throw together a lot of expensive footballers and it just works - look at City last year. I'd be surprised if PSG get further than the round of 16.

cson wrote: »
    Disagree with this; CL is a curious beast, you can't really throw together a lot of expensive footballers and it just works - look at City last year. I'd be surprised if PSG get further than the round of 16.

I agree, the UCL is nearly impossible to predict but they do have the tools to get to at least the round of 16 and if the draw is somewhat favourable they could go further. Although with their recent UEFA co-efficent they could get a tough group regardless as you mentioned, like City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    To be honest, the size of the clearout there is staggering - Milan will be a completely different entity this year.
    They had to do it though. Wage growth was far outstripping revenue growth, so it was only a matter of time until the whole deck of cards came down. It's better for Milan to take the reigns themselves now, rather than wait for the administrators to do it from Serie C/1 or where ever they would have ended up. Honestly though, I think Milan will be better for it. Ibra is obviously irreplaceable, Thiago Silva too. But the rest of the players (Van Bommel, Gattuso, Seedorf, Nesta, Zambrotta, etc.) were not justifying the money they were getting paid.

Paying Flamini €100k/wk odd to be a pit part player doesn't help matters either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

TheTownie wrote: »
    Could get Berbatov as a replacement for anything between £5M - £10M.

Bit of massive step down in quality in fairness.

He's no where near good enough.

Paying Flamini €100k/wk odd to be a pit part player doesn't help matters either.

He was signed as one of the most promising midfielders in Europe and then had an insane run of injuries.

He actually started last season as first choice and played a fair bit the seaosn before.

His contract has been more than halved now though.

Seaneh wrote: »

In fairness how many players could hold a candle to Ibra?

I reckon Serie A would suit Berbatov down to the ground in fact, I'd be willing to bet he'd eat it up there with the right service 20+ goals easily.

• Advertisement

Also, as a Milan fan, I really think we cannot complain about PSG, City etc spending tons of money thanks to a Billionare owner, we pretty much wrote the ****ing book on that ****, Berlusconi has spent unbelievable amounts of money in the last 25 years and it wasn't that long ago we were doing the exact same thing as they are now.

What we need more than anything is to own our own ****ing stadium, then we'd have an income stream to rival anyone.

I reckon Serie A would suit Berbatov down to the ground in fact, I'd be willing to bet he'd eat it up there with the right service 20+ goals easily.

I'd rather just have Pato as first choice, Berba would be a stupidly expensive back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I agree, the UCL is nearly impossible to predict but they do have the tools to get to at least the round of 16 and if the draw is somewhat favourable they could go further. Although with their recent UEFA co-efficent they could get a tough group regardless as you mentioned, like City.

There could potentially be a group consisting of Barca, Man City, Juve and PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Could get Berbatov as a replacement for anything between £5M - £10M.

I think Berba would do very well at Milan for a few seasons, and this is coming from someone who's never been a big fan of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

That may be the case but assuming things are tight at Milan, there are few better players available at that price point.

In short, hes a value for money signing.

Liam O wrote: »
    I think Berba would do very well at Milan for a few seasons, and this is coming from someone who's never been a big fan of him.

He's just not good enough to start for us, simple as.

He wouldn't get ahead of Pato or Cassano.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

I'd rather just have Pato as first choice, Berba would be a stupidly expensive back up.

Wouldn't mind Berbatov. Think he'd do a good job.

Pato is injured yet again. Hopefully with Ibra gone he can finally realise his undoubted potential

That may be the case but assuming things are tight at Milan, there are few better players available at that price point.

In short, hes a value for money signing.

His wages would be pretty high though. It's not a justifiable expense, he's exactly the type of signing Milan are moving away from (wrong side of 30, high wages).

His wages would be pretty high though. It's not a justifiable expense, he's exactly the type of signing Milan are moving away from (wrong side of 30, high wages).

Berba is after first team football, likes Italy and likes Milan. I wouldn't be surprised if he was willing to take a wage reduction to move there.

True he is 31 but he would fill a gap short-term while the search for a spritely young talent is done.

I'd rat he filled a gap somewhere else and we signed a player with a bit more milage left.

He wouldn't get first team football at Milan anyway.

Inter can have him, they are still mad for auld lads.

Right now Milan only have 3 players older than 30 (Alemia and Cassano are both 30, I'm not counting them) and they are Abbiati, Ambrosini and Yepes.

Abbiati is the only first team player of those, Ambrosini is now on about 35k a week and Yepes is on about 10k.

Milan don't need to be signing players 6 months shy of their 32nd birthday on €70k+ per week, it would be a backward step.

I'd rather a young player like Meateo Destro or someone similar.

Allardyce on Andy Carroll;
    "We're not in that situation where we can secure a deal with Liverpool for Andy," Allardyce told Sky Sports News. "We talked to Liverpool but at the moment there is nothing progressing regarding Andy.

Andy's yet to make his mind up where his future lies, he's on holiday. And the negotiations with Liverpool haven't reached a situation where we've been able to agree. So we'll move on to other players."

Allardyce on Berbatov;
    "That's pure speculation. I haven't had a chat with Sir Alex," Allardyce said. "A statement came out from Dimitar saying he was available for £5 million, everyone knows we're looking for a striker, so they say we're in for him.

I haven't had any conversations with Sir Alex."

Allardyce on Modibo Maiga;
    "That is progressing. We're going forward but it's still a little way off being clinched."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who is good enough though that will be available relatively cheap and not demanding ridiculous wages? I think Milan could do a lot worse then Berba but I would be surprised if that was the direction they went. Ibra is irreplaceable anyway tbh, a new way of playing may be required offensively.

As a Berba fan I would like to see him get a big team. And whilst I agree Berba is a step down from Ibra he would be a good player for Milan imo.

Graeme Bailey trolling on twitter...
    Graeme Bailey ‏@SkyGraemeBailey
    Stay tuned...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Graeme Bailey trolling on twitter...

He may not be trolling. It might just not be as spectacular news as we initially think but he does work for Sky :)

Who else thinks Andy Carroll will get the number 35 jersey if he moves to Newcastle?

Blatter wrote: »

That would be brillant and scary in equal measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Carrolls representatives have come out and said he wants to stay and fight for his place. But they said if the club really want to sell him, he'll go.

Re the Champions League, just thought too - Dortmund were predicted to pretty much tear it up and they struggled first time back in the Champions League. Consider we were in absolute ribbons when we played them too. There's a knack to this Champions League thing and there's a reason why over the past few years Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man Utd [last year excepted] and Bayern have all featured heavily in the semi final stage - I think without exception its featured at least 3 of the above for the past 5 yrs running in at the semi stage along with the draw throwing in one outlier [Lyon/Shalke/Villareal].

Watford are in talks with One Size Fitz Hall

Lee Dixon has left the bbc with speculation rife that he is joining Sky

kryogen wrote: »

Any news on the transfer fee?

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Any news on the transfer fee?

I think he was out of contract so I believe he can command a decent salary and a nice signing on fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I'd rather a young player like Meateo Destro or someone similar.

There was talk today that Roma are interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

i knew he enjoyed his cycling, but I didn't realise he was that good !

...coat !

Awh nooooooooooo. MOTD will be ****e. Not only did they get rid of Adrian Chiles who made MOTD2, they're getting rid of their best pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Samich wrote: »
    Awh nooooooooooo. MOTD will be ****e. Not only did they get rid of Adrian Chiles who made MOTD2, they're getting rid of their best pundit.

Am I the only one who can't stand this man! Such a gooseberry!

Not a fan of old Adrien but I do think Dixon is one of the better guys doing punditry at the mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

http://uk.eurosport....-083632898.html

Rayo Vallecano have accepted Swansea's bid for midfielder Michu, according to reports in Spain.

The Premier League side are believed to have made a two million euro bid for the 26-year-old who scored 15 La Liga goals last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Smegball wrote: »
    Am I the only one who can't stand this man! Such a gooseberry!

i didn't mind him in his early days on BBC radio - I've had more than enough of him now though

The Michu story was brought up earlier, be very impressed with Swansea there. Love Michu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

The Michu story was brought up earlier, be very impressed with Swansea there. Love Michu!

If Rodger was still there and they had Sigurrson they would of had a very strong team.

It will be important that Swansea set up in a way to get the best out of him the same way Rayo did though I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Blatter wrote: »

The early stages could do with a marquee group like that in fairness. It tends to be a fairly tedious competition until the knockouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

2mill seems like an amazing piece of business for a 26yr old striker who got 15 goals in one of the top leagues in Europe does it not? We missing a trick here?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Gillington wrote: »
    2mill seems like an amazing piece of business for a 26yr old striker who got 15 goals in one of the top leagues in Europe does it not? We missing a trick here?

He's an CM turned AM who can lead the line too. Played as an AM predominately. Was in the last year of his contract afaik. By far his most prolific season was last season.

I'm a big fan of his through betting. I was the only one betting on him for ages, when the bookies were underestimating him for so many months despite his form. I doubt they'll make a mistake with him this year :D Considering the season he had, he deserved a call up the national side for the Euros. While not shocked, was a tad disappointed he was never given a chance. Maybe post-Euros he will if he continues where he left off.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Tello has signed for Atleti £4.7M according to AS. He's been linked with Liverpool a fair bit recently.

• Advertisement

Ade and other German league fans, how good is Tasci?

Being linked with Milan and his agent came out with this today.
    “The player really loves the club and I must stress that since he was a child he dream has been to play for Milan,”

Only 25 and has a ton of experience but how good is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

What we need more than anything is to own our own ****ing stadium, then we'd have an income stream to rival anyone.
    What difference would having yer own stadium make? I thought stadium sharing is supposed to be very financially rewarding, sharing the construction costs for one. Bayern seem to be getting on fine sharing a stadium with a team far inferior to them.

THFC wrote: »
    What difference would having yer own stadium make? I thought stadium sharing is supposed to be very financially rewarding, sharing the construction costs for one. Bayern seem to be getting on fine sharing a stadium with a team far inferior to them.

Milan and Inter don't own the San Siro though, the city council do.

The only Italian club who won their stadium is Juve.

The rent for the San Siro is insane.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Tello has signed for Atleti £4.7M according to AS. He's been linked with Liverpool a fair bit recently.

The Barca youngster? Surprised by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

THFC wrote: »
    The City of Milan own the stadium so Milan pay rent to them, also the opportunity to make money through advertising and merchandising is much more limited.

• Advertisement
Advertisement