Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day: Bring Out The Transfer Gimp!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Telegraph say Liverpool close to signing Joe Allen. Ian Ayre doing the deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Seaneh wrote: »
    No way in hell is Modric worth more than Thiago Silva... madness.

He's probably not as good in the air alright I grant you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No way in hell is Modric worth more than Thiago Silva... madness.

He's worth what a team will pay for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

cson wrote: »
    As far as Ashley Cole's trophy cabinet goes, I don't think he's exactly flush with space in it for anymore medals. :pac:

Hes more FA cups then anyone so hes fairly ok in that department anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kim Kallstrom is going to Spartak Moscow for €3 million. Seems like good value for a Champions League player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kim Kallstrom is going to Spartak Moscow for €3 million. Seems like good value for a Champions League player.

Good payer, lots of energy and a decent passer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Is it just me or is this transfer window WAY quieter than usual?

August is always the hectic month.

Spanish clubs are being very, very quiet as the spanish sports minister has put pressure on them to not spend over the top because of the economic situation in Spain.
    Weird, but true.

I doubt he'll be very happy if the Modric deal goes through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Degag wrote: »

With the euros and olympic football twas always gonna be quiet I reckon, would expect it to really get going now with teams coming back from pre season tours and euros over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

Modric signing will kick alot of action off

Degag wrote: »

Not for us Chelsea fans. Its been pretty interesting TBH. Weve spent alot on young talent with good potential, risky but had to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

August is always the hectic month.

Spanish clubs are being very, very quiet as the spanish sports minister has put pressure on them to not spend over the top because of the economic situation in Spain.
    Weird, but true.

Well, considering your two marquee clubs over there are pretty much bankrolled by the Spanish Govt at this stage then yeah I'd imagine he has some say in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Not for us Chelsea fans. Its been pretty interesting TBH. Weve spent alot on young talent with good potential, risky but had to be done.

Other than PSG, Chelsea have done the best business of the tops clubs so far.

Schism wrote: »

Very key words.

I'm happy with Chelsea's business though, should see us pushing harder then last year, for the league anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

Very key words.

I'm happy with Chelsea's business though, should see us pushing harder then last year, for the league anyway.

I wouldnt think so to be honest , it will take a massive jump from 5th last season to challenge this season. I feel Chelsea back 4 will hold them back this season. They will score lots of goals but equally concede just as many as per game against MLS midweek last week.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Well, considering your two marquee clubs over there are pretty much bankrolled by the Spanish Govt at this stage then yeah I'd imagine he has some say in it.

Slight misunderstanding of how it works :P but yeah.
    Athletic Bilbao, FC Barcelona, Real Madrid C.F., CA Osasuna are all protected by laws over there that mean they can't go bankrupt (might be another club too) but the government don't actually give them money. As far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I wouldnt think so to be honest , it will take a massive jump from 5th last season to challenge this season. I feel Chelsea back 4 will hold them back this season. They will score lots of goals but equally concede just as many as per game against MLS midweek last week.

I dont agree!

Last season, we suffered because of the high line that AVB made us play and that cost us a lot of goals and points.
    IMO, if we had played our "normal" way, then even last seasons squad had enough about them to finish top four and when AVB was sacked, we werent far off it
    RDM will play our normal defence tactics which suits JT and co.

Also, as I have been told - you cant judge on pre-season with a lot of normal first teamers missing and not match fit

Privately though I do share your concerns about our back 4 and feel a new CB would be a good idea.

Who says Chelsea won't add to the back 4 before the summer is out.
    It seems certain they will buy a right back.
    RDM did improve the Chelsea back4 last season by getting them to go back to basics.
    Will Chelsea win the league next season? Probably not IMO but it would be silly to rule them oout.
    I think Gav was trying say Chelsea should improve massively next season if the new signings find their feet which is very possible.

Few things, we finsihed 6th. ;)

Our squad, attacking options have increased by adding Marin, Hazard, Oscar, we still have to add at least 1 RB, maybe a CM and maybe a CF.
    Last year scoring goals wasnt our dtrong point, we only managed 65 goals which isnt good enough.

Our back four last year was chooped and changed to often, and we conceded 49 goals, again far to much but it wont happen again this year.

There was only 4 teams with better GD then us but again, of all the EPL teams we've stregenthed our attacking force more then anyone whcih should stand to us, as long as we add a RB I'll be happy with our defence.

We'll finsih inside th top 4 easily and as I said I'd be happy with pushing both Manchester clubs up until around April, I dont see us winnin gthe EPL this year, I think its to soon for RDM but we'll do much better inthe league then we did last year.

Schism wrote: »

Best business or most business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Few things, we finsihed 6th. ;)

Our squad, attacking options have increased by adding Marin, Hazard, Oscar, we still have to add at least 1 RB, maybe a CM and maybe a CF.
    Last year scoring goals wasnt our dtrong point, we only managed 65 goals which isnt good enough.

Our back four last year was chooped and changed to often, and we conceded 49 goals, again far to much but it wont happen again this year.

There was only 4 teams with better GD then us but again, of all the EPL teams we've stregenthed our attacking force more then anyone whcih should stand to us, as long as we add a RB I'll be happy with our defence.

We'll finsih inside th top 4 easily and as I said I'd be happy with pushing both Manchester clubs up until around April, I dont see us winnin gthe EPL this year, I think its to soon for RDM but we'll do much better inthe league then we did last year.

With an estmated 100 million spent, RDM will certainly be expected to be there or there abouts! You know our Roman ;)

With an estmated 100 million spent, RDM will certainly be expected to be there or there abouts! You know our Roman ;)

If RDM doesnt deliver an improved league position then he'll be out on his ear come the end of May, huge pressure on him to sustain a good UCL campaign and maybe win a domestic cup aswell as psuhing us up the EPL and into contention and to be competitive with the current top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If it appears RDM is struggling in any way for the top 4, I expect him to be out on his ear straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Mr Alan wrote: »
    If it appears RDM is struggling in any way for the top 4, I expect him to be out on his ear straight away.

I'd be relatively surprised if he was Chelsea's manager at the start of next season. I think he'll have to have a fairly impressive season to stand a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

RDM is there as a place-holder until Abramovich can tempt Guardiola out of his break from management.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Rasmus Elm, who was heavily linked with a move to Liverpool and a few other notable clubs across Europe has joined CSKA Moscow from AZ for €6M.

Also, Taiwo should complete his move to Dynamo Kiev in the next 24 hours. Just has to do his medical.

-Ade- wrote: »

Also, Taiwo should complete his move to Dynamo Kiev in the next 24 hours. Just has to do his medical.

This is good news.

Maybe Milan will keep Didac...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Blatter wrote: »
    I'd be relatively surprised if he was Chelsea's manager at the start of next season. I think he'll have to have a fairly impressive season to stand a chance.

I'll be surprised if he's still Chelsea manager come Christmas :P
    With the business they are doing, if the tem flounders in any way or has any form of a bad run, he'll be gone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Blatter wrote: »

any time at all, no matter what position, how many trophies if Roman can convince Guardiola to go there he's gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

amiable wrote: »
    Best business or most business?

Oh not most. I think Hazard and Oscar signing alone are going to go a long way towards boosting Chelsea's title hopes.

• Advertisement

As has been mentioned, if theres any chance Roman can tempt Pep, no matter what RDM does he'll be repalced IMO.

Collins on the verge of making the switch from Villa to West Ham.

Zenit have made M'Vila their No.1 target apparently.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Collins on the verge of making the switch from Villa to West Ham.

Zenit have made M'Vila their No.1 target apparently.

I've a buddy who will be doing cartwheels when he hears this news. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

rumour has it Real Madrid may be looking to try and destroy another of Europe's finer young midfielders...
    Srijandeep Das ‏@jeremy_LFC

A Bola reporting Real Madrid bidding 40milE for Axel Witsel. Needless to say Sahin will be looking for a new club next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »
    rumour has it Real Madrid may be looking to try and destroy another of Europe's finer young midfielders...

40m for Witsel? You would think that guys trying to pass themselves off as Twitter ITKs would at least try to keep the transfer fees somewhat realistic.

Nope a hope of any club paying 40m for Witsel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kess73 wrote: »
    40m for Witsel? You would think that guys trying to pass themselves off as Twitter ITKs would at least try to keep the transfer fees somewhat realistic.

Nope a hope of any club paying 40m for Witsel.

Considering he cost Benfica about 8m last year that is absolutely absurd.
    Prior to his move last summer he wasn't anywhere near as highly rated and I still wouldn't have him down as Real Madrid start worthy quality as of yet.

20m max would be my reckoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

He had a cracker against Madrid in a pre season friendly last week but 40 million is lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rekop dog wrote: »
    He had a cracker against Madrid in a pre season friendly last week but 40 million is lol

and there you have where the rumour probably came from.

he played well against them, the ITK needed a story, it was a slow news day, so he decided to make something up based solely on that, and the fact he's a highly rated player.

there you have it folks!

Knex. wrote: »
    Considering he cost Benfica about 8m last year that is absolutely absurd.
    Prior to his move last summer he wasn't anywhere near as highly rated and I still wouldn't have him down as Real Madrid start worthy quality as of yet.

20m max would be my reckoning.

20m would still be too high imho, unless you are talking euro.

• Advertisement

20m would still be too high imho, unless you are talking euro.

I am indeed. No euro sign on these damn American keyboards :mad:

I am indeed. No euro sign on these damn American keyboards :mad:

Ctrl + Alt + 4 not do it for ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

The Sun say Benfica will sell for 31 million pounds.

No unfortunately, and no altgr button on it either. Made my chimps I tells ya Kess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

No unfortunately, and no altgr button on it either. Made my chimps I tells ya Kess!

Hold down alt and press 0128.

€. Just worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Roma have completed the Destro deal in a typically over complicated Italian style deal which should amount to €19 million.

• Advertisement

Hold down alt and press 0128.

€. Just worked for me.

I genuinely didn't believe you for a minute, and I do IT :o

Thanks EH! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've been typing Alt 0128 all this time when I could have just done this? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Roma have completed the Destro deal in a typically over complicated Italian style deal which should amount to €19 million.
    That is a lot for Destro, I'm glad Inter didn't sign him now. I actually think Borini is a little better than him anyway.

Tommy Smith is leaving QPR

Biggest transfer news of the summer so far. Voronin has signed for Fortuna Düsseldorf. Voromania will be running wild once again in the Bundesliga!

• Advertisement
Advertisement