Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day: Bring Out The Transfer Gimp!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Is that a joke, weirdest rumour I've heard in a while.

Yep, that was on SSN - the really funny thing was them saying about him being a "squad player"?!! So he left chelsea for first team football, which he got at, and now back to squad player?!
    Money talks I guess.

Still, could all be bogus

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2186306/Manchester-City-make-8m-race-sign-Swansea-winger-Scott-Sinclair.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Yep, that was on SSN - the really funny thing was them saying about him being a "squad player"?!! So he left chelsea for first team football, which he got at, and now back to squad player?!
    Money talks I guess.

Still, could all be bogus

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2186306/Manchester-City-make-8m-race-sign-Swansea-winger-Scott-Sinclair.html

Yeah but surely he is not even good enough to warm the bench at city:confused:, headless chicken of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Joe Allen was is the stands at Anfield last night ahead of a medical today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19090499

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

x43r0 wrote: »
    Joe Allen was is the stands at Anfield last night ahead of a medical today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19090499

A big fat apathetic 'meh' to that signing by liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Cazorla 15M, Allen 15M. wonder whos being shafted here. Didn't pool learn anything about buying British players last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Cazorla 15M, Allen 15M. wonder whos being shafted here. Didn't pool learn anything about buying British players last year.

Rodgers is paying for a player he's worked with before. Wenger is taking more of a gamble. He's certainly better than Henderson & Adam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

West Brom have been in discussions with Chelsea over a season long loan for Lukaku. Would be another good signing for WBA, have been impressed with their transfers so far this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dempsey wrote: »
    Rodgers is paying for a player he's worked with before. Wenger is taking more of a gamble. He's certainly better than Henderson & Adam!

I don't think Wenger is taking a gamble, he's buying a player of proven quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

JPA wrote: »
    I don't think Wenger is taking a gamble, he's buying a player of proven quality.

Percisely and surely taking Allen from a small club to be a small fish in a big pond is as much if not more of a risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Here's an idea, why don't we wait and see if and when Joe Allen signs for Liverpool give him a bit of time and see how good he actually is before we judge him.
    I have a sneaky feeling Brendan Rodgers knows a little bit about Joe Allen. I don't know why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Wow I honestly taught he cost in and around 10 mill and the price was combined with nani.

United only confirmed on their website at the time that the combined fee for the two players was £32M without giving a breakdown of amounts. Nani's release clause was £14M so we can assume that Anderson cost the remaining £18M.

I agree, Nani is easily worth twice what United paid for him whereas Anderson has flattered to deceive. Spurts of form spoiled by lengthy spells injured or out of form from eating too many pies. I reckon he has one more season to prove himself.

Interesting if true:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1131483/agent:-man-utd-agreed-to-sign-lucas-moura-before-psg-bid?cc=5739

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Still, there's no way anyone will be convinced that Joe Allen is worth £15m. He just isn't, plain and simple.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Still, there's no way anyone will be convinced that Joe Allen is worth £15m. He just isn't, plain and simple.

I genuinely don't think he's worth it from what I've seen so far but I'm not going to judge it yet.
    Agreed there seems to be much better value to be found in Europe and there's been a number of alternatives suggested several times in the Liverpool thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

amiable wrote: »
    Here's an idea, why don't we wait and see if and when Joe Allen signs for Liverpool give him a bit of time and see how good he actually is before we judge him.
    I have a sneaky feeling Brendan Rodgers knows a little bit about Joe Allen. I don't know why.

Doesn't matter though - he's still overpriced.

amiable wrote: »

So whats the correct procedure on signings, do we have to wait 3, 6, 9, how many months before we can discuss them?? Or is it special rules in place for Liverpools potential signings and signings?

So whats the correct procedure on signings, do we have to wait 3, 6, 9, how many months before we can discuss them?? Or is it special rules in place for Liverpools potential signings and signings?

Point to me where I say it can't be discussed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

From what I've seen of Joe Allen I don't think he's worth £15m but Rodgers obviously feels he can do a job in the team and feels that he needs to pay that price to get him.

Overall, for now he's overpriced, but that doesn't equate to poor value - he's only 22 and has alot of development ahead of him, we'll have to see what he's got in his locker and what role he fills for us before writing it off as being a poor transfer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think he's probably the one of best young midfielder in the premiership. He's just as good as wilshire imho, he was Swansea's best player by a mile last year and the year before. He was probably the best of the lot on Team Jeebee too, although that wasn't much of a contest.

Is he worth €15m, probably not but the fact that he is home grown, young and british means that the "development tax" is higher.

I reckon Allen at €15m is much better business than Fletcher at €12m.

I've been watching Allen play since his breakthrough in league one when he was 17 and I've always felt he was going to be good enough to play for any team in England.

He was the best player on the pitch when Swansea played Chelsea last year, I remember Rodgers and AVB giving him serious amounts of praise after the game.

Over all, over priced, but compared to other young British players, he's a ****ing bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Seaneh wrote: »
    I think he's probably the one of best young midfielder in the premiership. He's just as good as wilshire imho, he was Swansea's best player by a mile last year and the year before. He was probably the best of the lot on Team Jeebee too, although that wasn't much of a contest.

Is he worth €15m, probably not but the fact that he is home grown, young and british means that the "development tax" is higher.

I reckon Allen at €15m is much better business than Fletcher at €12m.

I've been watching Allen play since his breakthrough in league one when he was 17 and I've always felt he was going to be good enough to play for any team in England.

He was the best player on the pitch when Swansea played Chelsea last year, I remember Rodgers and AVB giving him serious amounts of praise after the game.

Over all, over priced, but compared to other young British players, he's a ****ing bargain.

You think Allen is overpriced at £15m but is as good as Wilshere?

Let me tell you know that Jack Wilshere is worth a hell of a lot more than £15m.

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    You think Allen is overpriced at £15m but is as good as Wilshere?

Let me tell you know that Jack Wilshere is worth a hell of a lot more than £15m.

Well, he's established at a CL club, so yes, his market value would be a lot higher, he's English too, which adds to the cost/hype.

I reckon that although they play very differently, they are about as effective as each other. I think Allen will be more important to Liverpool than Wilshire will be to Arsenal next season.

I don't under rate Wilshire btw, I just happen to think Allen is just as good as him.

The fact that he's coming from a small, regional welsh club with very little money and no chance of CL football in the next 5/7 years at least means that he'll want to leave if a big club comes looking and the small club can't really afford to reject offers above a certain point. Where as, Arsenal really wouldn't be bothered to sell Wilshire unless an offer of silly money came in as he has a pretty long contract, is young, trained at the club (important for CL regulations) and on decent wages and playing CL football already, it would take an offer of stupid money from a City/Real/Barca for him to even consider moving right now, never mind for arsenal to consider selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've deleted a few posts that have no place in here, please keep on topic lads.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Well, he's established at a CL club, so yes, his market value would be a lot higher, he's English too, which adds to the cost/hype.

I reckon that although they play very differently, they are about as effective as each other. I think Allen will be more important to Liverpool than Wilshire will be to Arsenal next season.

I don't under rate Wilshire btw, I just happen to think Allen is just as good as him.

The fact that he's coming from a small, regional welsh club with very little money and no chance of CL football in the next 5/7 years at least means that he'll want to leave if a big club comes looking and the small club can't really afford to reject offers above a certain point. Where as, Arsenal really wouldn't be bothered to sell Wilshire unless an offer of silly money came in as he has a pretty long contract, is young, trained at the club (important for CL regulations) and on decent wages and playing CL football already, it would take an offer of stupid money from a City/Real/Barca for him to even consider moving right now, never mind for arsenal to consider selling.

I like Allen but I'd have to disagree that he's as good as Wilshere in his own right (providing Wilshere's injuries don't dramatically set him back)

I think Wilshere, prior to his injury, was a very good player at 18. I have no doubt in my mind that he has the potential to go on to be one of the best midfielders in the world. I think Allen, while a good to very good player, doesn't have that sort of potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

All I know is I would be in 7th heaven if I was the owner of a club with a British player that Liverpool were interested in.

KA-CHING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

rdm says sturridge will not be leaving chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rdm says sturridge will not be leaving chelsea

I dont mind if we do sell him, although if hes kept he will be 2nd choice CF now that Drogba's gone.

If he does leave he'll be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I like Allen but I'd have to disagree that he's as good as Wilshere in his own right (providing Wilshere's injuries don't dramatically set him back)

I think Wilshere, prior to his injury, was a very good player at 18. I have no doubt in my mind that he has the potential to go on to be one of the best midfielders in the world. I think Allen, while a good to very good player, doesn't have that sort of potential.
    Are you on the Jamie Redknapp coolade now? :D

Wilshere is good but cant see how he could ever become one of the best in the world, for one thing hes a shocking bad tackler and has as yet failed to score too often from his midfield berth. Just my 'tuppence' worth.

Wilshere is good but cant see how he could ever become one of the best in the world, for one thing hes a shocking bad tackler and has as yet failed to score too often from his midfield berth. Just my 'tuppence' worth.

Because I saw him really put it up to Barcelona midfield of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta at the age of 19 as well as many other fantastic performances at the top level.

He's an unbelievable talent, I really hope the injuries haven't stifled his progress too much.

:eek: Wilshire is anything but a shocking tackler, infact both Arsene Wenger and Owen Coyle have both praised it as one of the strongest parts of he's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Because I saw him really put it up to Barcelona midfield of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta at the age of 19 as well as many other fantastic performances at the top level.

He's an unbelievable talent, I really hope the injuries haven't stifled his progress too much.

He was simply incredible that night. For a 19 year old kid to be almost putting it up to that Barca side by himself it was a joy to watch.

Allen has undoubted talent, and I'm glad Liverpool are signing him. The price, although excessive, is something I've come around to being comfortable with. No, he is not on the same level as Wilshire, nor do I really ever think he will be, but he is definitely one of the better young players around Europe.

Also, the familiarity he has with Rodgers, and the system he employs, can only be a good thing for Liverpool. It will help Rodgers implement his philosophy a lot easier when he can deploy Allen in the center of it from the off. Also, having Rodgers as manager means it can only help Allen settle into the side more quickly.

To summarize, although I am certain a better individual player for 15m can be found, in Europe or elsewhere, I do believe Allen for 15m in this current situation may be the better fit. The quicker Rodgers can settle his side, system and ideas the better imo.

:eek: Wilshire is anything but a shocking tackler, infact both Arsene Wenger and Owen Coyle have both praised it as one of the strongest parts of he's game.
    Most managers support their players, his stats show he has an average of a yellow every 5 league games, many of which i remember to be quite poor tackles, hes certainly aggressive and this is to be admired but i feel he can be a poor tackler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Alou Diarra has joined West Ham from Marseille.

Craig Bellamy has completed his move to Cardiff from Liverpool.

David Pizzaro has joined Fiorentina from Man City.

DJ Cambell given permission by QPR to hold talks with Blackpool.

Carlos Vela has made his loan move to Real Sociedad permanent.

(Nice to have a few transfers instead of bickering);)

zerks wrote: »
    Alou Diarra has joined West Ham from Marseille.

Craig Bellamy has completed his move to Cardiff from Liverpool.

DJ Cambell given permission by QPR to hold talks with Blackpool.

Carlos Vela has made his loan move to Real Sociedad permanent.

(Nice to have a few transfers instead of bickering);)
    Good move for Vela, never worked for him in England but he did well for Sociedad last season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yep tackling is the key component of a midfielder's game, you're nothing if you can't do it; just ask Paul Scholes.

The goals argument is strong too; I mean, look at Xavi and Iniesta. The two best midfielders in the game, and they're both tough-tackling, master marksmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Pizarro went to Fiorentina from Roma not City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Alou Diarra could be a great buy for West Ham.

cson wrote: »
    Alou Diarra could be a great buy for West Ham.

Could be the difference in them staying up or not tbh. Looking forward to seeing him in the PL.

Knex. wrote: »
    Could be the difference in them staying up or not tbh. Looking forward to seeing him in the PL.

Think they will have more than enough to stay up tbh, nice blend of prem experience like Nolan and Cole mixed with some very talented youngsters.

Think they will have more than enough to stay up tbh, nice blend of prem experience like Nolan and Cole mixed with some very talented youngsters.

Is rubbish.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Is rubbish.

Not too many teams get relegated with an English International Striker in their squad, is completely over he's injury problems now and can score and create.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not too many teams get relegated with an English International Striker in their squad, is completely over he's injury problems now and can score and create.

and iirc their main signing so far is a striker most seem to rate higher than Cole who then as backup would def not be bad for a side like WH. They did sign the lad Newcastle where after before they signed Cisse didnt they?

looking like a decent bet to stay up going by their transfers imo

• Advertisement

No man, he's rubbish. Watch him play. If his name was Coleinho you'd think the same, because you'd never had heard praise for him to mess with your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No man, he's rubbish. Watch him play. If his name was Coleinho you'd think the same, because you'd never had heard praise for him to mess with your mind.

He has the very odd game where he is quality - played an absolute stormer v arsenal at Upton Park in 09-10 for eg but usually brutal alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Wolves reject £9m for Matt Jarvis from West Ham:

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2012/08/10/wolves-reject-9m-bid-for-matt-jarvis/

I think that's more than what he's worth and would sell, but fair play to Wolves. They're not getting pushed around this summer at all despite being relegated and Premier League clubs sniffing for their players. Although it could well come back to bite them if they don't go straight back up.

Paully D wrote: »
    Wolves reject £9m for Matt Jarvis from West Ham:

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2012/08/10/wolves-reject-9m-bid-for-matt-jarvis/

I think that's more than what he's worth and would sell, but fair play to Wolves. They're not getting pushed around this summer at all despite being relegated and Premier League clubs sniffing for their players. Although it could well come back to bite them if they don't go straight back up.

I would almost be thinking that's crazy money to be rejecting for him, but I suppose they do think he will get them promoted, and tbh, I think he could well rip it up in the Championship.

Also, even if they don't get promoted I'd be surprised if the couldn't afford to shoulder his wages for the season. He can't be on more than 30k, which although for a Championship side is fairly huge, after so many seasons in the PL it shouldn't be a massive issue for them.

Knex. wrote: »
    He was simply incredible that night. For a 19 year old kid to be almost putting it up to that Barca side by himself it was a joy to watch.

Allen has undoubted talent, and I'm glad Liverpool are signing him. The price, although excessive, is something I've come around to being comfortable with. No, he is not on the same level as Wilshire, nor do I really ever think he will be, but he is definitely one of the better young players around Europe.

Also, the familiarity he has with Rodgers, and the system he employs, can only be a good thing for Liverpool. It will help Rodgers implement his philosophy a lot easier when he can deploy Allen in the center of it from the off. Also, having Rodgers as manager means it can only help Allen settle into the side more quickly.

To summarize, although I am certain a better individual player for 15m can be found, in Europe or elsewhere, I do believe Allen for 15m in this current situation may be the better fit. The quicker Rodgers can settle his side, system and ideas the better imo.

I agree, think Allen will turn out to be an excellent signing for Liverpool.

In other news, Lukaku has joined West Brom on a season long loan. Interested in how he gets on there.

zerks wrote: »

He moved to Fiorentina from Roma.
    He was only on loan at city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Can't believe Liverpool are paying 15m for Allen myself. He wasn't even Swansea's best midfielder last season. But people seem to be getting used to that sort of ridiculous prices in England and it's turning into convincing themselves it's sane.

The Scott Sinclair to Manchester City link seems really odd, don't think he is or ever will be anywhere near good enough for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

The Scott Sinclair to Manchester City link seems really odd, don't think he is or ever will be anywhere near good enough for them.

Yeah, seems quite odd. If they do actually want him it can only be for back up or a bit part role surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Corholio wrote: »
    Can't believe Liverpool are paying 15m for Allen myself. He wasn't even Swansea's best midfielder last season. But people seem to be getting used to that sort of ridiculous prices in England and it's turning into convincing themselves it's sane.

The fee is inflated but I don't think it's outrageous. I will say I'm a little bias as I really like Allen and more to the point he's exactly the type of player we need and should be a great foil/partner for Lucas.

Something which nobody ever seems to think about in these thing is wages. Allen is reportedly going to be on around a modest £40k a week. Rodgers has worked with him before and is looking to implement a similar system to Swansea so having a player he has worked with before that can hit the ground running with his ideas is invaluable. Since the manager has been able to see him at close quarters for the last few years I think he's in a better position than anyone to judge his value. He's also young with decent resale value. I also think in terms of tactical understanding he's far ahead of most of his British peers.

Guess only time will tell but I think this will end up being a great deal for Liverpool.

Opr

Advertisement