Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day: Bring Out The Transfer Gimp!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Paully D wrote: »
    Joe Allen to Liverpool for £15m and Victor Moses to Chelsea for £9m is ****ing insane to be honest.

I'm especially disappointed to see Moses go to Chelsea at that price, he'll be yet another English player that moves to a big club too early and will keep the bench warm for a few years before moving to a bottom half club, when he should be playing week in, week out. Of course he'll have more money than he can spend every week so why would he care? :rolleyes:

The Allen deal is atrocious. At the end of the day he's rarely passed a ball forwards in his Premier League career and has gone for £15m. £15m, fucking hell.

It's amazing how someone's opinion can change so dramatically when their own club is involved. Here's your opinion on Fletcher for £12m..

Paully D wrote: »
    The vast majority of people said the same when we spent up to £16m on Bent, yet Fletcher has a better goals per minutes record playing in far worse teams.

He's a bit overpriced IMO but it's the way the markets have gone. When you have middle of the road teams such as us and teams like Wolves making billions off TV deals it's only going to end up increasing fees. Wolves paid £7.5m for him, have him under contract for another 3 years (with the option of a 4th) and finanically are under no pressure to sell. They hold all the cards. If we want him we have to pay what the ask.

At the end of the day we're at a crossroads where we need to buy players that fit into a system and not individual talent. Of course we could probably buy a very exciting individual player from abroad for that sort of money, but with Fletcher we know what we're going to get. He fits perfectly into O'Neill's system and will score 12-15 goals a season for us whilst helping the rest of the team to do better. He's also one of the most clinical strikers in the league and will get far more opportunities to score with us than he ever did at Wolves or Burnley.

At the end of the day he may be a bit overpriced but will be a very good signing for us. I suspect if he was called Fletcherinho and people studied his statistics a bit more it wouldn't be seen as such a high price to pay for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

It's amazing how someone's opinion can change so dramatically when there own club is involved. Here's your opinion on Fletcher for £12m..

Agree 100% chucky , Sunderland better off with Jessica Fletcher for that kinda money!....12m :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That's twice now this summer I've seen ridiculous prices mentioned for Witsel.

Last one was Real Madrid to pay €40m. Its absurd.

He was signed for something in the region of 8m last season and did quite well for Benfica. There is no hope in hell is value has risen to more than €20m, and even then that is on the high side.

Someone is quite honestly just pulling figures from their ass I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It's amazing how someone's opinion can change so dramatically when there own club is involved. Here's your opinion on Fletcher for £12m..

Someone's interpetation of value or money well spent is always going to be different.
    Paully D sees 15 million on what looks like a buddy for Lucas to be a holding type mid as a waste while he sees 12 million on a striker who can benefit on service from Mclean and Larsson with Sessignon as good business........you disgree,tough sh1te.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

dahat wrote: »
    Someone's interpetation of value or money well spent is always going to be different.
    Paully D sees 15 million on what looks like a buddy for Lucas to be a holding type mid as a waste while he sees 12 million on a striker who can benefit on service from Mclean and Larsson with Sessignon as good business........you disgree,tough sh1te.......

Paully obvious hasn't watched Allen then, which makes his post even worse. £12m for a player who scored only 8 more goals than a guy who can only pass the ball backwards.

Although I agree Liverpool paid over the odds for Allen, if the reported 15m is true, its ridiculous to suggest that he is not at least a level above Fletcher.

Different positions I know, but can you imagine the uproar if Liverpool had paid that amount for Fletcher? 8m would have been a good price for him, anything more is definitely excessive.

Paully obvious hasn't watched Allen then, which makes his post even worse. £12m for a player who scored only 8 more goals than a guy who can only pass the ball backwards.

8 goals in a shocking team.........interpetation my friend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The whole "Allen doesn't pass forward" thing is retarded.

He passes forward plenty, when it's the right pass to make, he's one of the smartest midfielders in the PL, he passes it where it makes the most sense to retain possession, just like Xavi or Pirlo or anyone else who plays a similar roll, he also has one of the best passing ranger in the PL and is well able to play diagnal balls to the wings, as he did to Dyer and Sinclare last season and the season before.
    I'd rather Allen passing it 7 yards laterally and keeping possession than Gerrard trying one of his hollywood balls and it ending up out of play and back with the other team.

This time next year people will be calling him a bargain.

Papiss Cisse scored 20+ goals a season for Freiburg, a shockingly poor team.

Signed for Newcastle for 10.5m

Interpretation my friend.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »

Signed for Newcastle for 10.5m

Interpretation my friend.

Nail on the head....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Cisse scored 9 in 17 in his last half a season with Freiburg and they were useless at that point, bottom of the table.

and he cost less....and he was/is a better player.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Cisse scored 9 in 17 in his last half a season with Freiburg and they were useless at that point, bottom of the table.

and he cost less....and he was/is a better player.

Your point?

Your point?

It's next to impossible to justify 12m for Fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He only had 1 20+ goal season, and they were a good team then and comfortably finished mid-table. They were only "shockingly poor" in the first half of last season after Dutt left, when he still scored 9 in 17 :)
    Your point?

He is just another overpriced Brit, and no matter how long £12m is defended, it is still way too much.

It's next to impossible to justify 12m for Fletcher.

Like Joe Allen as well,both done well for there teams last season,wether that merits an outlay of 12+15 million is debatable but this season will tell all

• Advertisement

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    He only had 1 20+ goal season, and they were a good team then and comfortably finished mid-table. They were only "shockingly poor" in the first half of last season after Dutt left, when he still scored 9 in 17 :)

He is just another overpriced Brit, and no matter how long £12m is defended, it is still way too much.

No arguement on Cisse........All Brits are overpriced,well know fact in the English game,Joe Allen likely is too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Like Joe Allen as well,both done well for there teams last season,wether that merits an outlay of 12+15 million is debatable but this season will tell all

Results based thinking. You can absolutely assess the money paid for Allen relative to what talented young players move around Europe for. £15m is simply too much. The price paid should relate to A) what the player has done (i.e. how good he is now) and B) the reasonable range of development that can be expected over the course of his career with Liverpool.

Liverpool have overpaid. It is a bad deal. It will still have been a bad deal if he is named PFA player of the year at the end of next season.

If the fee announced today was £8m and he ended up being Jordan Henderson mark II, then you could argue that it had still been a good deal.

And no, it doesn't matter that the majority of the media and football fans think like your post above. People aren't very bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

joe allen wasnt even that good last season! Pure over rated.

He wasnt even as good, imo, as Henderson was for Sunderland before his big money move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

joe allen wasnt even that good last season! Pure over rated.

He wasnt even as good, imo, as Henderson was for Sunderland before his big money move!

Could you explain how you've come to your viewpoint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

by watching players play soccer matches.

When Henderson was playing for Sunderland I was pretty impressed. Thought he was decent and had potential. Still not worth the 16m imo.

When Id seen Allen play Id not been overly impressed. More often was impressed by some of his team mates.

That's how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

by watching players play soccer matches.

When Henderson was playing for Sunderland I was pretty impressed. Thought he was decent and had potential. Still not worth the 16m imo.

When Id seen Allen play Id not been overly impressed. More often was impressed by some of his team mates.

That's how.
    Jesus, that's fantastic insight there, I really see where you're coming from...

Adebayor looks to be finally on his way to Spurs with City subsidising some of his wages over 2 years.

Gotta love Daniel Levy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Adebayor looks to be finally on his way to Spurs with City subsidising some of his wages over 2 years.

Gotta love Daniel Levy

I seem to remember posts like this a few weeks ago

amiable wrote: »
    I seem to remember posts like this a few weeks ago
    It always going to happen, all 3 parties (THFC, MCFC & Ade) were for the move, the only reason it was held up was because of the fee. The stories linking Ade to Zenit or where ever were pony.

Apparently, theDamiao deal will be wrapped up soon as well, Internacional just wanted to get strikers in before he left. Rafael Moura was announced yesterday afaik.

THFC wrote: »
    It always going to happen, all 3 parties (THFC, MCFC & Ade) were for the move, the only reason it was held up was because of the fee. The stories linking Ade to Zenit or where ever were pony.

Apparently, theDamiao deal will be wrapped up soon as well, Internacional just wanted to get strikers in before he left. Rafael Moura was announced yesterday afaik.

In that case why praise Levy so much?

My point being wait til some of the details of the transfer are revealed before praising him like what happened a few weeks ago.

BTW I think you meant Lucas Moura

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

In fairness this deal aside Levy is a magician in the transfer market. I know the contract situation at the time of the deal influenced the price heavily each time but to buy Steven Pienaar for £3m and then sell him back a year later for £4.5m.

Opr

because he'll become a permanent spurs player and Levy will have City still paying his wages. Superb scenario.

i'll never forget mido , buying him for just over 4m and then making a 1.5m profit when selling him. Genius

My point being wait til some of the details of the transfer are revealed before praising him like what happened a few weeks ago.
    But sure the details are known, or at least, widely predicted. He was on £170,000 a week, last season we paid £70,000 of that, with City paying the rest, this season it's rumoured he'll be on £100,000 a week, but he'll pocket a significant amount of the transfer fee, which, a few weeks ago was £5,000,000. This, of course, is all rumoured, nothing concrete yet afaik, but if, as expected, it turns out to be true that's fantastic business. Fletcher went for £12,000,000 a few days ago did he not? Wages obviously will be much lower, but Christ, there's a gulf in class between the two players, and that's being kind on Fletcher. Levy has proved a shrewd operator in seasons past, and he's not doing too badly this season either.

opr wrote: »
    In fairness this deal aside Levy is a magician in the transfer market. I know the contract situation at the time of the deal influenced the price heavily each time but to buy Steven Pienaar for £3m and then sell him back a year later for £4.5m.

Opr

And what about his wages which were at the top end of Spurs scale and payoff he got to go back to Everton?

because he'll become a permanent spurs player and Levy will have City still paying his wages. Superb scenario.

i'll never forget mido , buying him for just over 4m and then making a 1.5m profit when selling him. Genius
    But how is that such a great achievement to get a player that nobody else seems to want from a club desperate to get him of the wage bill?
    I think a lot of this praise for Levy stems from telling Chelsea to Fcukoff last summer.
    But yet he seemed to think it fair to turn down massive money for Modric but still not have him on the top bracket at Spurs.
    Surely if he was worth £40 million he should be paid accordingly?
    And if he was perhaps Modric would be happy to stay at Spurs next season?

• Advertisement

But sure the details are known, or at least, widely predicted. He was on £170,000 a week, last season we paid £70,000 of that, with City paying the rest, this season it's rumoured he'll be on £100,000 a week, but he'll pocket a significant amount of the transfer fee, which, a few weeks ago was £5,000,000. This, of course, is all rumoured, nothing concrete yet afaik, but if, as expected, it turns out to be true that's fantastic business. Fletcher went for £12,000,000 a few days ago did he not? Wages obviously will be much lower, but Christ, there's a gulf in class between the two players, and that's being kind on Fletcher. Levy has proved a shrewd operator in seasons past, and he's not doing too badly this season either.

Speculation

Fletcher is still a Wolves player.
    You can't justify a fee for a player because someone else was silly.

I fail to see what he has done this season so far to prove to be doing so well as you mention.

And what about his wages which were at the top end of Spurs scale and payoff he got to go back to Everton?
    Still made a profit by my calculations, and we were able to call upon his services for a year. What payoff did he get to return to Everton?

But how is that such a great achievement to get a player that nobody else seems to want from a club desperate to get him of the wage bill?
    I think a lot of this praise for Levy stems from telling Chelsea to Fcukoff last summer.
    But yet he seemed to think it fair to turn down massive money for Modric but still not have him on the top bracket at Spurs.

Modric was more than happy to sign a 6 year contract 18 months ago on 45k a week. Silly boy - he needs to fire his agent me thinks. That aint Levys fault. Spurs bought Modric for 16.9m so imo its reasonable to assume Levy wants to at least double his money on him. If Jordan Henderson is worth 20m then Modric is worth 40m.

In relation to Ade , nobody wants him? Are you telling me Liverpool for example wouldnt bite his hand off to join them? of course they would , he wouldnt go there. He enjoyed his time at the lane and wants to go back and if City want to help levy fund the move then great

Still made a profit by my calculations, and we were able to call upon his services for a year. What payoff did he get to return to Everton?

He would have received a portion of the transfer fee.
    He also received over £4million in wages from Spurs from his time there.
    Where is this profit?

Modric was more than happy to sign a 6 year contract 18 months ago on 45k a week. Silly boy - he needs to fire his agent me thinks. That aint Levys fault. Spurs bought Modric for 16.9m so imo its reasonable to assume Levy wants to at least double his money on him. If Jordan Henderson is worth 20m then Modric is worth 40m.

In relation to Ade , nobody wants him? Are you telling me Liverpool for example wouldnt bite his hand off to join them? of course they would , he wouldnt go there. He enjoyed his time at the lane and wants to go back.

Jordan Henderson cost £16 million.

Liverpool didn't move for Adebayor so we'll never know who he would have chose.

On Modric's wages, you overlooked my point. If Levy had offered him a salary befitting his valuation perhaps he'd be happy to stay next season and Spurs' transfer dealings wouldn't be held up.

My original point stands. People seem to be lining up to praise Levy before the deal is done(like a few weeks ago when the deal was close then too)

Adebayor was one the league's top strikers last season, just because no one "seems" to want him doesn't mean it so. RvP must be as unwanted as Ade by your logic.
    If Modric wants to be in the top bracket at Spurs he could be, all he has to do is a sign a new contract. No one forced him to sign that contract in 2010, he signed it himself, and it's his own fault he's not earning as much as he could/should at Spurs.
    It's clear by Levy's stance that he does not want to cash in on Modric, so therefore, it's safe to assume that Luka himself has been rejecting new contract offers, so how exactly are we supposed to increase his wages?
    Speculation

Fletcher is still a Wolves player.
    You can't justify a fee for a player because someone else was silly.

I fail to see what he has done this season so far to prove to be doing so well as you mention.
    Jaysus Christ I'm not trying to justify the fee, it already justifies itself. We got a £170,000 a week striker for £5-10m, if that's not fantastic business what is? Perhaps getting the parent club to pay some of his wages??

He also wrapped up the signing of Jan Vertonghen, who was being pursued by Arsenal as well as ourselves. That's not to mention the fact that he's been in the States for half the summer because his mother only recently passed away.

On Modric's wages, you overlooked my point. If Levy had offered him a salary befitting his valuation perhaps he'd be happy to stay next season and Spurs' transfer dealings wouldn't be held up.

My original point stands. People seem to be lining up to praise Levy before the deal is done(like a few weeks ago when the deal was close then too)

Why should he offer Modric more money? He's running a business. Modric was happy to sign a contract for 6 years. Levy can sit Modric in the stand until he is 30 if he wishes. All the power is with Levy on this one. Every premier league club would love to have daniel levy at the helm.

8m for VDV is another superb Levy deal btw

Because nobody knows yet how much Spurs paid on agents fees, transfer fees and wages yet on the Adebayor deal if it goes through.
    My point stands that people are lining up to praise Levy without knowing how much the deal cost.
    If it's good value I'll be first to praise him after the details are known.

Why should he offer Modric more money? He's running a business. Modric was happy to sign a contract for 6 years. Levy can sit Modric in the stand until he is 30 if he wishes. All the power is with Levy on this one. Every premier league club would love to have daniel levy at the helm.

8m for VDV is another superb Levy deal btw

He actually wouldn't be allowed to leave Modric sit in the stands to sit out his contract.
    It's not that difficult to figure out why it would be beneficial to offer Modric a contract befitting his market value. If Modric was kept happy they would keep a £40 million player without having to buy him and integrate him.

• Advertisement

He also wrapped up the signing of Jan Vertonghen, who was being pursued by Arsenal as well as ourselves. That's not to mention the fact that he's been in the States for half the summer because his mother only recently passed away.

Arsenal were never in for him.
    It seems Spurs were his only serious suitors.

He would have received a portion of the transfer fee.
    He also received over £4million in wages from Spurs from his time there.
    Where is this profit?
    Apologies, messed up my calculations. He only earned just over £3.5 million though, minus the £1.5 mill transfer profit that's £2 million, over 52 weeks that just £40,000 a week. Bear in mind the jersey sales and whatnot, and the fact that he actually played for us regularly enough. That's good business for a player of his calibre.

He actually wouldn't be allowed to leave Modric sit in the stands to sit out his contract.

I'm sure if he was so angry enough to teach Modric a lesson with all his antics to date then he would get and have Joe Lewis backing on this.

I'm sure if he was so angry enough to teach Modric a lesson with all his antics to date then he would get and have Joe Lewis backing on this.

I don't think it's up to Joe Lewis either to dictate a FIFA rule

I don't think it's up to Joe Lewis either to dictate a FIFA rule

Modric cant buy out his 4 year contract that he has left!

Arsenal were never in for him.
    It seems Spurs were his only serious suitors.
    What? Type in "Jan Vertonghen Arsenal" into Google and whole host of results come up. He was heavily linked with both North London clubs. This is a quote from the man himself;

"They have shown me around, I have met all their key people and their chairman came to meet me on Monday. But Arsenal want me too."

• Advertisement

Apologies, messed up my calculations. He only earned just over £3.5 million though, minus the £1.5 mill transfer profit that's £2 million, over 52 weeks that just £40,000 a week. Bear in mind the jersey sales and whatnot, and the fact that he actually played for us regularly enough. That's good business for a player of his calibre.

Jersey sales that Pienaar generated in a January transfer? Think about that one again.
    So we've established Spurs didn't make money on Pienaar including subsidising his wages while on loan at Everton and giving him his payoff on his transfer back to Everton?

What? Type in "Jan Vertonghen Arsenal" into Google and whole host of results come up. He was heavily linked with both North London clubs. This is a quote from the man himself;

"They have shown me around, I have met all their key people and their chairman came to meet me on Monday. But Arsenal want me too."

The tabloids decided to link him. It doesn't make it so.
    Type any players name in to google and often you'll see Liverpool suggested.
    It doesn't make it so.

Lets reason it out though to suit you. Arsenal have finally an established centre back pairing that seems to be excellent in Vermaelen and Koscielny backed up by a German international with over 80 caps. Do you still think Spurs beat Arsenal to Vertonghen?

Jersey sales that Pienaar generated in a January transfer? Think about that one again.
    So we've established Spurs didn't make money on Pienaar including subsidising his wages while on loan at Everton and giving him his payoff on his transfer back to Everton?

Your just bitter that LFC are paying Joe Cole £5.2m a season:eek:

Your just bitter that LFC are paying Joe Cole £5.2m a season:eek:

I fail to see the relevance

By the way, it's you are not your

A quote from Fergie on Real Madrid, ''I wouldn't sell them a virus''
    This was before the transfer of Ronaldo to Real Madrid.
    Just because someone says it doesn't make it true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement