Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day: Bring Out The Transfer Gimp!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

double GG wrote: »
    Can't see Wenger going for De Jong.

there's been a lot of talk of a DM being signed at arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

amiable wrote: »
    So we believe only the ones you want to believe?
    My point is sometimes football people say stuff that sounds good.
    Honestly are you even reading my posts? :D
    Meh.. Even it was bad business we didn't waste that much money, something LFC have done, and are doing, in abundance. If you need this win take it, I'm sure you need a little confidence boost every now and then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

THFC wrote: »
    Meh.. Even it was bad business we didn't waste that much money, something LFC have done, and are doing, in abundance. If you need this win take it, I'm sure you need a little confidence boost every now and then:)
    The discussion wan't on Liverpool wasting money.
    We'll both agree Liverpool have been amongst the most wasteful on transfer fees in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Jack Rodwell confirmed for City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jack Rodwell confirmed for City

Confirmed to have had a bid accepted and be heading for a medical, he might fail it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

kryogen wrote: »
    Confirmed to have had a bid accepted and be heading for a medical, he might fail it :pac:

No, he has had the medical and the transfer has been confirmed.

Not a great signing in my view - he has struggled to put a decent run of games together through persistent injury and mediocre form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

opr wrote: »
    Isn't it widely believed that Rodwell will end up at centre half? Turned attention to him after failing with Agger? The transition of Kompany comes to mind.

Opr

Bingo

Rodwell will be "our Phil Jones" so to speak, once he's fit. He'll play in a few positions I'd say before finally settling on one. The fact that he *could* become a ball playing centre half gives Mancini a nice option with this three at the back lark he's been trying all preseason (Rodwell - Kompany - Lescott).

Also if De Jong moves on, and I hope he doesn't, we have a replacement there to share the workload with Barry.

I've stopped caring about fees where City are concerned, clubs are rightly going to milk us for all they can get and we can afford to let them so if the player is good for the club then happy days. If Rodwell gets sorted then he'll be a nice fit, and is of course homegrown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Kaka to ac milan looking very real now.

song to barcelona making a reappearance although they dont really need him with Masch and Busquets...

But then again ppl said that about Fabregas...

Miyachi going to Wigan will probably mean Victor Moses to Chelsea will be completed soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The Lyon president has confirmed that Lloris won't be going anywhere this Summer. Following Debuchy it's quite nice to see French clubs holding onto their talent instead of selling them at the first opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bingo

Rodwell will be "our Phil Jones" so to speak, once he's fit. He'll play in a few positions I'd say before finally settling on one. The fact that he *could* become a ball playing centre half gives Mancini a nice option with this three at the back lark he's been trying all preseason (Rodwell - Kompany - Lescott).

Also if De Jong moves on, and I hope he doesn't, we have a replacement there to share the workload with Barry.

I've stopped caring about fees where City are concerned, clubs are rightly going to milk us for all they can get and we can afford to let them so if the player is good for the club then happy days. If Rodwell gets sorted then he'll be a nice fit, and is of course homegrown.

I think rodwell was bought purely as he is homegrown. I think he will spend the majority of his time at City on the bench.
    He has not progressed in the last two years and has shown no sign of doing so either.
    I cannot see him displacing any of your CBs or CMs in the next 3-4 yrs tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

song to barcelona making a reappearance although they dont really need him with Masch and Busquets...

Delighted, hope it goes through. Shame to see him warming the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

For all the Bohs fans on here - ye're getting 10% of the transfer fee if Stephen Ward moves to Sunderland, aren't ye? Heavily rumoured and fee reported to be £3m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Arsenal fans booing RVP the other day, club don't want him anymore, going to Juve or Utd most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

flyswatter wrote: »
    Arsenal fans booing RVP the other day, club don't want him anymore, going to Juve or Utd most likely.

I'm sure they'd forget all about that if he signed a new contract and scored on the opening day of the season. Fans be fickle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kaka and Milan have agreed personal terms but Real want €20m, there is no way Milan will pay it, Real aren't willing to loan him for the first season either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Rekop dog wrote: »

I'm sure they'd forget all about that if he signed a new contract and scored on the opening day of the season. Fans be fickle
    Aye, I'd keep Modric if he just apologized and got on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Exactly, look at tevez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Exactly, look at tevez.

And Rooney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

It was reported like that in a tabloid, Arsenal supporters club have issued a video of the Arsenal fans when RVP was introduced and there was nothing but cheering and applause, but I guess that wouldn't be as controversial for the rags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Wolves have rejected a 12 million bid from Sunderland for Steven Fletcher, so it seems the transfer request has changed nothing. Supposedly they will accept an offer of 14 million. Crazy money for him. He is a good player but this price tag will put a lot of pressure on him. Not sure he will be a 20 goal a season player, that Sunderland need.

Supposedly a £14 million bid has been accepted for Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Supposedly a £14 million bid has been accepted for Fletcher

That is beyond madness. They sold Bent to Villa for only £4m more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Good old Martin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

If Wolves get £14m for Fletcher and £9m for Jarvis they could put that money to serious use in building a team for promotion again. £23m invested back in the squad would have them promoted at a canter.

Just emphasises how mad the transfer world is gone if Fletcher makes £14m.

cson wrote: »
    If Wolves get £14m for Fletcher and £9m for Jarvis they could put that money to serious use in building a team for promotion again. £23m invested back in the squad would have them promoted at a canter.

Just emphasises how mad the transfer world is gone if Fletcher makes £14m.

That's similar to the Cazorla fee

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

MON proving his wheel n dealin' skills are up to scratch as ever.

Eejit.

What do people genuinely feel Steven Fletcher is worth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Not even going to bother comparing that ridiculous transfer to others.

Ah, just one wouldn't hurt.

Podolski - £10.5m.

Double digit goals in a relegation team is a decent achievement but the reason Wolves are holding out for more imo is the fee they paid for him in the first instance was very excessive [£7m]. That is probably what he's worth imo - £7m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I'd pay about 6 or 8 million for Fletcher.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Not even going to bother comparing that ridiculous transfer to others.

Ah, just one wouldn't hurt.

Podolski - £10.5m.

That's it really isn't it; 18 goals last season in a relegated team plus 44 goals in 101 international caps. The sums don't add up on the Fletcher move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Is Fletcher MONs main transfer target or have they been knocked back by other strikers? Baffled everyday I read about this. I woulda keppt Bendtner rather than Fletcher if I could!

Yeah 8 goals and 5 assists was an alright return for Bendtner last season. Probably thinks he's better than Sunderland though the gimp.

• Advertisement

Personally i think £9 million would have been a fair deal all round.
    I like Fletcher but £14 is OTT. I think Fletcher has goals in him. Forget his international record. He has fallen out with the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

To be fair to Wolves they are entitled to look for a decent amount for Fletcher seeing as they bought him for around 7 million and also have to give Burnley a decent chunk of whatever price they get for him due to a sell on clause. Plus Wolves are under no financial pressures so they have no reason to sell him on the cheap. So I can see why they are looking to recoup as much as possible.

However Sunderland would be crazy to match Wolves' evaluation. I think some Villa fans (Helix in particular) will feel a bit justified that people will start ridiculing MON's approach to transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

-Ade- wrote: »
    MON proving his wheel n dealin' skills are up to scratch as ever.

Eejit.

Surely its the Sunderland chairman who is the eejit, MON aint paying it out of he's back pocket, what does he care what it costs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

MON fixates on a target, so he'll pay anything to get him or if he can't get him he'll take an age finding an alternative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

€7/8 million.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »

Just emphasises how mad MON is gone if Fletcher makes £14m.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Definitely overpriced at £14m.

Well done to Wolves if they get that fee though, there's been times we've gone down and completely bent over to Premier League clubs that wanted our players and I wish we'd have taken a similar stance to Wolves have taken on this. Good to see a club doing all they can to hold on to their best players, Wolves fans must be pretty happy with how their board has done this summer.

At the end of the day there's no point in saying ''that's similar to the Cazorla fee, the Podolski fee etc''. Fletcher at £14m and £30,000 a week works out a hell of a lot cheaper than Podolski at £12m and £100,000 a week plus a huge signing on fee. Plus that's not to mention we wouldn't have a hope in hell of them giving us the time of day so it's a moot point really.

Another very important point, and I don't know why people think any different, O'Neill IS NOT responsible for the negotiation of transfer prices and wages etc at Sunderland. That job is with Margaret Byrne (chief executive) and Ellis Short (owner). The way people go on you'd swear O'Neill is on the phone to Moxey every day and will sit in the room negotiating Fletcher's contract (if he does come here). It's not Football Manager, the manager doesn't do everything and he certainly doesn't do the boardroom work at Sunderland. So by all means criticise Byrne and Short over the fee, not O'Neill, under who's management we haven't spent a penny in transfer fees since he arrived last December.

Of course I'd rather we bought someone else for that sort of money (£12m would have been my absolute limit and even at that I said he was a bit overpriced for me, but what's £2m in todays game I suppose) but we know what we're going to get from Fletcher, he fits into the system O'Neill is going to use at Sunderland perfectly, and at the end of the day players who have done less in the Premier League have gone for more than that as recently as last week. If he does the business for us the fee will be quickly forgotten about, if he doesn't the club will rightly be hugely criticised.

Lets wait and see what happens.

Although I would be interested to hear suggestions from people for other players Sunderland could buy that would be cheaper, willing to come to the north-east, and that are proven in the Premier League?

P.S. - Does anyone have a reputable source to a £14m offer being accepted. I can't find anything other than reports of this mornings rejected bid. Thanks.

Paully D wrote: »
    Definitely overpriced at £14m.

Well done to Wolves if they get that fee though, there's been times we've gone down and completely bent over to Premier League clubs that wanted our players and I wish we'd have taken a similar stance to Wolves have taken on this. Good to see a club doing all they can to hold on to their best players, Wolves fans must be pretty happy with how their board has done this summer.

At the end of the day there's no point in saying ''that's similar to the Cazorla fee, the Podolski fee etc''. Fletcher at £14m and £30,000 a week works out a hell of a lot cheaper than Podolski at £12m and £100,000 a week plus a huge signing on fee. Plus that's not to mention we wouldn't have a hope in hell of them giving us the time of day so it's a moot point really.

Another very important point, and I don't know why people think any different, O'Neill IS NOT responsible for the negotiation of transfer prices and wages etc at Sunderland. That job is with Margaret Byrne (chief executive) and Ellis Short (owner). The way people go on you'd swear O'Neill is on the phone to Moxey every day and will sit in the room negotiating Fletcher's contract (if he does come here). It's not Football Manager, the manager doesn't do everything and he certainly doesn't do the boardroom work at Sunderland. So by all means criticise Byrne and Short over the fee, not O'Neill, under who's management we haven't spent a penny in transfer fees since he arrived last December.

Of course I'd rather we bought someone else for that sort of money (£12m would have been my absolute limit and even at that I said he was a bit overpriced for me, but what's £2m in todays game I suppose) but we know what we're going to get from Fletcher, he fits into the system O'Neill is going to use at Sunderland perfectly, and at the end of the day players who have done less in the Premier League have gone for more than that as recently as last week. If he does the business for us the fee will be quickly forgotten about, if he doesn't the club will rightly be hugely criticised.

Lets wait and see what happens.

Although I would be interested to hear suggestions from people for other players Sunderland could buy that would be cheaper, willing to come to the north-east, and that are proven in the Premier League?

P.S. - Does anyone have a reputable source to a £14m offer being accepted. I can't find anything other than reports of this mornings rejected bid. Thanks.

Imagine the Sunderland board said to MON you have a £25 million budget this summer and you can spend it however you want, on 5 players or on one player or whatever.

They put in a few bids for Fletcher and come back to MON and say we've bid 12 million but they still want more, do you want us to bid again? And MON says yes.

Then it is his fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Paully D wrote: »

Being a Liverpool fan, I can assure that this means absolutely fuck all.

Even just looking at the striker West Ham signed, Maiga, they picked him up for 5-6m and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he scored 10+ goals next year.

Fletcher will get ye goals, no doubt, but at 14m the price is pretty absurd.

JPA wrote: »
    Imagine the Sunderland board said to MON you have a £25 million budget this summer and you can spend it however you want, on 5 players or on one player or whatever.

They put in a few bids for Fletcher and come back to MON and say we've bid 12 million but they still want more, do you want us to bid again? And MON says yes.

Then it is his fault.

Well we currently have the worst strike force in the Premier League and would go down if we didn't sign one before the end of the transfer window, so no surprise if the manager wants to spent the vast majority of his budget on a striker when we're reasonably ok at other positions.
    Knex. wrote: »
    Being a Liverpool fan, I can assure that this means absolutely fuck all.

Even just looking at the striker West Ham signed, Maiga, they picked him up for 5-6m and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he scored 10+ goals next year.

Fletcher will get ye goals, no doubt, but at 14m the price is pretty absurd.

It means a lot to a club like us, especially after the Gyan debacle.

We haven't had a lot of success buying from abroad recently anyway (Sessegnon and Mignolet probably the only success stories in the last few years, unless I'm forgetting someone obvious) and under O'Neill (as is his usual policy) we're focusing on British based players and/or players who have proven they can do it in the Premier League.

It's all well and good spitting out names like Maiga (who I think is a very good striker by the way) but it's obvious we won't be targeting those players. That's why I said proven in the Premier League as it falls in line with our current policy. And in fairness even though West Ham bought Maiga for that price they were willing to go out and spend £19m on Andy Carroll also.

Agree on the price comment. He's definitely overpriced at the reported fee.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Low risk, low reward.

Low risk, low reward.

It'd be great if we could spent decent money on punts and hope for the best, but the fact of the matter is we can't afford to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

Lads back to business with the transfers
    Wigan have signed Arouna Kone from Levante for a reported 2.7 mill
    Fantastic bit of business from us and scored 17 goals last season and lots of experience internationally.....oh bring on the season, the anticipation is building!!!:D:D:D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Tis a good deal by Wigan. His time with Sevilla was a blot on a otherwise career where he has scored goals wherever he has gone, but he had the very decent pairing of Kanoute and Fabiano ahead of him at Sevilla. Bit puzzled that Levante let him go for next to nothing though. Could be back to fighting relegation now.

Miyachi will do really well for you on loan too imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement