Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day: Bring Out The Transfer Gimp!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yeah if he was available for under £7m then he could arguably provide decent bench cover, but £14m is a bit ridiculous. Besides with the depth in potential wingers in the squad, Mata, Hazard, Marin, Oscar, and Ramires when called upon, I don't see where you would need a bench cover. It'll be hard enough keeping all those players happy without having someone else to compete with.

From what I can tell and from a lot of Chelsea fans feeling it would be Moses on the bench and seen as 2nd sub for a wide position, after Marin but I do agree, the money would be a waste if it went that high, considering how much we got Marin for.

Ramires will more then likely fall into CM when we have Oscar up to speed, although a few people think Oscar can operate in CM but I just dont see it, espeiclaly not in his first season in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sahin to Arsenal with a £14m buy option. Apparently Arsenal going to line up £12m move for Jesus Navas and £15m for Tiote.
    As a Liverpool fan this irks me greatly - £14m buyout after a year to see what he's got is a great deal for a player of Sahins quality and age!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

PaulieC wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan this irks me greatly - £14m buyout after a year to see what he's got is a great deal for a player of Sahins quality and age!

It's great business for Arsenal, and it is also quite surprising that the option is so low. I got the impression that Real wanted to leave it open ended, so they could take advantage of a good season and look for £20+ based on performace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

PaulieC wrote: »

This should cheer you up a bit then. He was apparently training with the Real Madrid squad this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Seaneh wrote: »
    No more a concern than it is to PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona and a few others.

There will always be a way around it for the super rich clubs (and the super in debt ones).

Madrid have no problems at all, they make profits every season and their wages to turnover ration is well below 70%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

QPR are showing how NOT to run a football club in my opinion. This constant signing of players who are long past their best and giving them big wages is going to damage them severely in the coming years.

Yeah I gree with this. If they had gone down last year apparently they'd have been absolutely f*cked in that all the players they signed in Jan on huge wages (some pretty mediocre ones at that) had cast iron contracts that would have to be fulfilled no matter what division they were in.

The poor start they made at the weekend doesn't bode well tbh. Would love to see them relegated myself tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I am probably in the minority here but I think QPR wont be in the relegation battle this year.I can see them getting to 14/15 place and being safe from the drop with a few weeks to spare.Once they get a settled team ,they will do OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

yabadabado wrote: »
    I am probably in the minority here but I think QPR wont be in the relegation battle this year.I can see them getting to 14/15 place and being safe from the drop with a few weeks to spare.Once they get a settled team ,they will do OK.

They should be building a team to consistently challenge for the top 6 with the money they are spending. Instead, all of these players will have to be replaced in another few years again, with no resale value coming in.

For a club with great long term ambition, it's an insane policy.

Fernandes, like Mike Ashley, will learn the hard way.

They should be building a team to consistently challenge for the top 6 with the money they are spending. Instead, all of these players will have to be replaced in another few years again, with no resale value coming in.

Im not saying what they are doing is right but I dont think they will be in danger of going down.Unless they are paying huge wages their spend has been ok this summer.
    Not all the players they are buying are coming near the end of their careers either,I think it was on the BBC that 6 players who played vs Swansea were under 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Say what you like about him but Mike Ashley has done an absolutely fantastic job at Newcastle in a business sense.

• Advertisement

True, but isn't their first priority to ensure the remain in the premiership. If they can secure a midtable finish or thereabouts, and build on that. Top 6 will come after that. You can't jump fom a promotion team to challenging for Europe in one jump.

cson wrote: »
    Say what you like about him but Mike Ashley has done an absolutely fantastic job at Newcastle in a business sense.

I know, I'm a Newcastle fan. He's done an incredible job, but as I said, he had to learn the hard way.

The QPR policy just reminds me of us signing the Mark Viduka's etc on big money wages. And yes, they have made a couple of good signings, Hoilett for example, but overall I'm not impressed with who they've brought in. I just don't see it going well for them in the long run is all I'm saying.

True, but isn't their first priority to ensure the remain in the premiership. If they can secure a midtable finish or thereabouts, and build on that. Top 6 will come after that. You can't jump fom a promotion team to challenging for Europe in one jump.

They had this policy last season and nearly shot themselves in the foot with it, they were very lucky to escape.

This whole idea of needing a load of older and more experienced premier league players to avoid relegation is nonsense in my opinion.

All I'm saying is they could be doing things a lot more sensibly, sure we will just have to wait and see where they end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ipswich finished 5th in their first season in the PL! Can be done, got relegated the next season tho :pac: they also went into administration....

They had this policy last season and nearly shot themselves in the foot with it, they were very lucky to escape.

This whole idea of needing a load of older and more experienced premier league players to avoid relegation is nonsense in my opinion.

All I'm saying is they could be doing things a lot more sensibly, sure we will just have to wait and see where they end up.

I agree it's not ideal, and it's a gamble. but I presume the thinking is to bring in proven premiership players, rather than take the risk on unknowns. Money or not, they are still considered a relegation side so the options of who they will attract is limited.

Newcastle got some fantastic finds in Cisse, Tiote, Cabaye and Santon. But they were all a risk before they came.

I don't think there is any correct way of pushing up the table. Luck and a good team environment plays as much a part as players coming in. In that regard, I think QPR may have a slight problem. A very random collection of players.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Ipswich finished 5th in their first season in the PL! Can be done, got relegated the next season tho :pac: they also went into administration....

I know it has been done before, but alot has changed in the league since. I don't think it can be done now without an enormous amount of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Wolves are getting a small fortune for 2 above average players

I agree it's not ideal, and it's a gamble. but I presume the thinking is to bring in proven premiership players, rather than take the risk on unknowns. Money or not, they are still considered a relegation side so the options of who they will attract is limited.

Newcastle got some fantastic finds in Cisse, Tiote, Cabaye and Santon. But they were all a risk before they came.

I don't think there is any correct way of pushing up the table. Luck and a good team environment plays as much a part as players coming in. In that regard, I think QPR may have a slight problem. A very random collection of players.

Ah sure we'll see, I've said enough on QPR I think because I generally don't care where they end up :pac:

Cisse and Cabaye weren't risky buys though. Cisse was 2nd top scorer in the Bundesliga for a poor team and Cabaye was a France international who had just played a big part in Lille winning the French league.

They were proven top quality players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I know Cassano isn't the most hard-working player, But it seems like AC got a raw deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I wouldnt call it a good deal for City but as you say still better than having him around a club where he isn't wanted.It the best of a bad situation,5m is still very cheap for a proven EPL striker.

makes you wonder about wolves valuation of Steven Fletcher

Ah sure we'll see, I've said enough on QPR I think because I generally don't care where they end up :pac:

Cisse and Cabaye weren't risky buys though. Cisse was 2nd top scorer in the Bundesliga for a poor team and Cabaye was a France international who had just played a big part in Lille winning the French league.

So Giroud isn't a risk for Arsenal ?

greendom wrote: »
    So Giroud isn't a risk for Arsenal ?

Well if you want to look at it like that, every signing is a risk. If you're asking do I think there's an added risk because he's coming from France, then no.

I haven't seen the guy play much, but if you're good enough in France, Germany or Spain, you are good enough for England.

There's always going to be transfers in every league and every team which don't work out for whatever reason.

Well if you want to look at it like that, every signing is a risk. If you're asking do I think there's an added risk because he's coming from France, then no.

I haven't seen the guy play much, but if you're good enough in France, Germany or Spain, you are good enough for England.

There's always going to be transfers in every league and every team which don't work out for whatever reason.

Yes I think he'll cope well with the league - there are lots though that have their doubts.

I don't think Santon could classed as risky either.He was well regarded and looked on as a prospect and just had a year or two where he didnt progress in Italy and thats the reason he was sold.

I don't think Santon could classed as risky either.He was well regarded and looked on as a prospect and just had a year or two where he didnt progress in Italy and thats the reason he was sold.

Yeah, definitely agree on that, a certain Jose Mourinho claimed he could be the "new Paolo Maldini".

The reason I left him out was because he was considered injury prone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Yeah, definitely agree on that, a certain Jose Mourinho claimed he could be the "new Paolo Maldini".

The reason I left him out was because he was considered injury prone though.

I don't recall the original Maldini being injury prone. I guess the new ones are being made in sweatshops from cheap plastic.

ciaranmac wrote: »
    I don't recall the original Maldini being injury prone. I guess the new ones are being made in sweatshops from cheap plastic.

Haha it's not like Jose to be talking drivel is it :pac:

There's only one Maldini unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Sahin to Arsenal with a £14m buy option. Apparently Arsenal going to line up £12m move for Jesus Navas and £15m for Tiote.

Cant see any of this anywhere . any links
    j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I wouldnt call it a good deal for City but as you say still better than having him around a club where he isn't wanted.It the best of a bad situation,5m is still very cheap for a proven EPL striker.

makes you wonder about wolves valuation of Steven Fletcher
    high fee but low wages and potential resale value by comparison

greendom wrote: »
    Yes I think he'll cope well with the league - there are lots though that have their doubts.

Yeah, probably listening to Jamie Redknapp going on about how foreign players struggle to adapt to the premier league, even though the league is nearly made up entirely of foreign players. I never can understand why they keep pushing this argument.

Trying to convince us last Sunday that Hazard might struggle at first because he won't get any 'space on the ball'. He's playing against Wigan fss :pac: Makes ya laugh.

Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough for one day, back to work :D

• Advertisement

Maddest rumour of the Summer: Owen back to Liverpool. :pac:

jem wrote: »
    Cant see any of this anywhere . any links
    j

Will post links when I get something official. Tiote and Navas coming from caughtoffside and few other media outlets, but only just heard, so their reliablitiy might be questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Drenthe to West Ham,only rumour yet.Decent player that Moyes didn't seem to trust on the pitch (maybe 'cos he's a bit mad off it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Yeah, probably listening to Jamie Redknapp going on about how foreign players struggle to adapt to the premier league, even though the league is nearly made up entirely of foreign players. I never can understand why they keep pushing this argument.

Trying to convince us last Sunday that Hazard might struggle at first because he won't get any 'space on the ball'. He's playing against Wigan fss :pac: Makes ya laugh.

Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough for one day, back to work :D

Good point - the league is full of them blooming foreigners!
    Never thought of it like that - seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Jarvis reportedly had a medical at West Ham tonight, and a deal that could potentially reach 10 million with add ons has been agreed. Would be a great deal for Wolves. They should have some serious amount of money to spend either now or in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

But yet Graham Carr gets the credit for finding them for some reason which is a bit strange IMO. They way some people go on you'd think he'd gone to the outback for a few weeks and come back with these players who had never kicked a ball before but just turned out to be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fletcher to Sunderland is finally done (I think everyone was getting a bit sick of it at this stage) pending a medical. Sunderland say the fee is £12m, Wolves say £14m. My guess would be the truth is probably somewhere in between or made up in performance based add-ons. Burnley get 15% of the fee.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/9493670/Sunderland-finally-agree-fee-with-Wolverhampton-for-Steven-Fletcher.html
    The clubs have not been able to agree publicly on the size of the fee, but Sunderland are adamant they have not paid more than £12million for the Scotland international, who is due on Wearside for a medical on Thursday morning. Wolves are insisting Sunderland matched their £14m valuation.
    It has not been as gripping as Robin van Persie’s controversial move from Arsenal to Manchester United, but it has been just as draining for those involved in the talks, which appeared to have broken down completely last week.

Both Wolves and Sunderland are likely to insist the exact size of the fee is undisclosed when the paperwork is completed later this week. Neither club has wanted to lose face during protracted negotiations that began in May and were only completed on Wednesday afternoon, but Sunderland will ultimately be the happier of the two.

Wolves manager Stale Solbakken has lost his club's top goalscorer last season and arguably his best player, while Martin O’Neill has landed his No1 summer transfer target and filled the biggest hole in his squad.

O’Neill made his move for Fletcher immediately after Wolves’ relegation from the Premier League, but Wolves had stubbornly refused to let him go until their valuation was reached.

In the end, having received a written transfer request from Fletcher a fortnight ago, Wolves have reluctantly conceded there was no point forcing him to stay after he had made it clear he no longer wanted to play for them.
    Fletcher was forced to take a 50 per cent pay cut at Molineux as a result of Wolves dropping out of the top flight. he is thought to have agreed personal terms at Sunderland that will earn him about £35,000 a week.

The striker, who began his career with Hibernian, scored 12 goals in a struggling side last season having signed from Burnley for £6.5m following their relegation to the Championship in 2010.

He has not featured for Wolves this season, supposedly because of an ankle injury, although Sunderland do not expect this to have any lasting impact and will certainly not prevent him from passing a medical examination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Paully D wrote: »
    But yet Graham Carr gets the credit for finding them for some reason which is a bit strange IMO. They way some people go on you'd think he'd gone to the outback for a few weeks and come back with these players who had never kicked a ball before but just turned out to be very good.

Ya, newcastle bad etc...

JPA wrote: »
    Ya, newcastle bad etc...

Have to agree with him to be honest. It is completely exaggerated.

He's doing a very good job, no doubt and big credit on the likes of Tiote, but Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Cisse etc.. every scout in the country should know who these guys are.

I knew who Cisse was and how good he was and I only half follow what's going on in the Bundesliga.

Carr stand out cause he does his job, I do wonder what the scouts at some premiership clubs are paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sao Paulo look the favourites to get Ganso. Already made 2 offers but were rejected, they are expected to try again.

van der Vaart to Hamburg rumours are back again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Paully D wrote: »
    Fletcher to Sunderland is finally done (I think everyone was getting a bit sick of it at this stage) pending a medical. Sunderland say the fee is £12m, Wolves say £14m. My guess would be the truth is probably somewhere in between or made up in performance based add-ons. Burnley get 15% of the fee.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/9493670/Sunderland-finally-agree-fee-with-Wolverhampton-for-Steven-Fletcher.html

Mclean and possibly Adam Johnson feeding him he could well get 15 plus goals for ye.......paid over the odds but he can score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have to agree with him to be honest. It is completely exaggerated.

He's doing a very good job, no doubt and big credit on the likes of Tiote, but Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Cisse etc.. every scout in the country should know who these guys are.

I knew who Cisse was and how good he was and I only half follow what's going on in the Bundesliga.

Carr stand out cause he does his job, I do wonder what the scouts at some premiership clubs are paid for.

Tiote who had just completed an outstanding season with the team who won the Dutch title before Newcastle bought him? Tiote was not exactly an unknown when Newcastle got him. The surprise was that no bigger club was in for him rather than it being a case of Newcastle unearthing a gem.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Tiote who had just completed an outstanding season with the team who won the Dutch title before Newcastle bought him? Tiote was not exactly an unknown when Newcastle got him. The surprise was that no bigger club was in for him rather than it being a case of Newcastle unearthing a gem.
    Indeed if anyone should be getting credit itshould be the likes of Utd for unearthing gems like Hernandez.

(and of course Bebe) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Fulham have made an official complaint to the FA about Liverpools pursuit of Dempsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Bury sign David Healy.

Fulham have made an official complaint to the FA about Liverpools pursuit of Dempsey.

Rodgers has handled LFC's transfer business remarkably poorly IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Antisocialiser

Bury sign David Healy.

BOOM

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'm shocked you think that. :pac:

I'm shocked you think that. :pac:

Im shocked you didnt say it beefore me tbh. You normally love to slate your own club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

We enquired about him at the start of the window, price was too high. Nothing happened. He is on record as saying he's a talented player, wow shocker.
    Your comments regarding liverpool are always good for a giggle :pac:

Advertisement