Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day: Bring Out The Transfer Gimp!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

We enquired about him at the start of the window, price was too high. Nothing happened. He is on record as saying he's a talented player, wow shocker.
    Your comments regarding liverpool are always good for a giggle :pac:

There very well may be more to it than that now in all fairness. Given the way hes gone on strike Id say someones been in his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Kess73 wrote: »
    Tiote who had just completed an outstanding season with the team who won the Dutch title before Newcastle bought him? Tiote was not exactly an unknown when Newcastle got him. The surprise was that no bigger club was in for him rather than it being a case of Newcastle unearthing a gem.

I'm sorry but this is complete nonsense. Yes I know Twente had just won the Dutch league but he was far from considered a top level player at that time and certainly not one of their 'outstanding' performers.

Carr enquired about him to Steve Mcclaren who recommended him highly and was willing to let him go, as he felt he would be far more suited to England than the Dutch league, so maybe we should be thanking him for that one when I think about it.

He made 28 appearances that season but was on the bench a lot.

Have a look here if you don't believe me and check out his minutes played and games started. 18 from the bench. So he started 10 games and was taken off in 6 of them.

http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/netherlands/stichting-fc-twente-65/squad/

Clubs knew about him. West Brom had a bid rejected for him. Fulham, West Ham and Birmingham were interested. None of the big guns were interested because he just wasn't considered to be the quality of player he has turned out to be. He's improved immensely over the last few years with Newcastle.

Cabaye and Cisse were both singed as far more established players who were coming from better leagues.

So, no it wasn't a surprise that no bigger club was in for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Ouch! Kess just got OWNED!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Your posts really are bottom of the barrell stuff.

Sooner the better Sept 3rd comes around .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

You embarrass yourself with your lack of maturity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Leiva wrote: »
    Your posts really are bottom of the barrell stuff.

Sooner the better Sept 3rd comes around .

Thats when the schools reopen right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Thats when the schools reopen right?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80361103

You really are mad to know aren't you :D

Indeed if anyone should be getting credit itshould be the likes of Utd for unearthing gems like Hernandez.

(and of course Bebe) :pac:

Sure you agreed with the post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm sorry but this is complete nonsense. Yes I know Twente had just won the Dutch league but he was far from considered a top level player at that time and certainly not one of their 'outstanding' performers.

Carr enquired about him to Steve Mcclaren who recommended him highly and was willing to let him go, as he felt he would be far more suited to England than the Dutch league, so maybe we should be thanking him for that one when I think about it.

He made 28 appearances that season but was on the bench a lot.

Have a look here if you don't believe me and check out his minutes played and games started. 18 from the bench. So he started 10 games and was taken off in 6 of them.

http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/netherlands/stichting-fc-twente-65/squad/

Clubs knew about him. West Brom had a bid rejected for him. Fulham, West Ham and Birmingham were interested. None of the big guns were interested because he just wasn't considered to be the quality of player he has turned out to be. He's improved immensely over the last few years with Newcastle.

Cabaye and Cisse were both singed as far more established players who were coming from better leagues.

So, no it wasn't a surprise that no bigger club was in for him.

Cabaye and Cisse have nothing to do with what I said. Both were more well known that Tiote but I never claimed otherwise.

Tiote did have a very good season the year Twente and he was regarded as an outstanding up and coming talent during his two seasons there which is why he was linked to the clubs you mentioned but also a few that you left out like Ajax, Chelsea (a rumoured interested that has resurfaced this season), Lille, and PSV.

He was regularly mentioned between 2008 and 2010 alongside the likes of Strootman, Mertens, van der Wiel, and Afellay as one of the players to watch and he was nowhere near being some kind of unknown player plucked from obscurity.

Given that Carr gets a lot of his scouting reports from an agency that specializes in the Dutch, Belgian, and French leagues it is hardly surprising that he would be getting reports on the more highly rated non superstar young players from those leagues. If anything Carr deserves a lot of credit for being open minded enough to use those scouting agencies as well as a number of the independent scouts rather than rely on the more traditional and insular scouting system that many British clubs still use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

dahat wrote: »
    Mclean and possibly Adam Johnson feeding him he could well get 15 plus goals for ye.......paid over the odds but he can score

Yeah if we could get Johnson in I'd jizz myself but the reported fall back option is McGeady so either way we'll (hopefully) end up with two good wingers supplying the bullets to Fletcher.

Fletcher scored the most headed goals in the Premier League last season and the 2nd most in Europe alongside Ronaldo (but in 6 fewer appearances) so if we can get Johnson/McGeady or similar signed up things look promising.

• Advertisement

Sure you agreed with the post?

He is just looking for reactions. Bit like how he posted elsewhere how he hates Liverpool and LFC supporters, yet spends a hell of a lot of time trying to stire in the LFC superthread rather than debating the points he disagrees with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Paully D wrote: »
    Fletcher scored the most headed goals in the Premier League last season and the 2nd most in Europe alongside Ronaldo (but in 6 fewer appearances) so if we can get Johnson/McGeady or similar signed up things look promising.

Steven Fletcher to compete with Ronaldo and Messi for European Golden Boot? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Continuing on my regular updates of Valencia transfer stories :-P, Aly Cissokho has signed a 4 year deal from Lyon for a reported 6 million euro.

I haven't seen too much of him, but right now I'lm happier with him at left back than Jordi Alba, and he's come at a fraction of the price , so a great signing I reckon.

Cabaye and Cisse have nothing to do with what I said. Both were more well known that Tiote but I never claimed otherwise.

Tiote did have a very good season the year Twente and he was regarded as an outstanding up and coming talent during his two seasons there which is why he was linked to the clubs you mentioned but also a few that you left out like Ajax, Chelsea (a rumoured interested that has resurfaced this season), Lille, and PSV.

He was regularly mentioned between 2008 and 2010 alongside the likes of Strootman, Mertens, van der Wiel, and Afellay as one of the players to watch and he was nowhere near being some kind of unknown player plucked from obscurity.

Given that Carr gets a lot of his scouting reports from an agency that specializes in the Dutch, Belgian, and French leagues it is hardly surprising that he would be getting reports on the more highly rated non superstar young players from those leagues. If anything Carr deserves a lot of credit for being open minded enough to use those scouting agencies as well as a number of the independent scouts rather than rely on the more traditional and insular scouting system that many British clubs still use.

My original post was "He's doing a very good job, no doubt and big credit on the likes of Tiote, but Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Cisse etc.. every scout in the country should know who these guys are"

My original point which you pulled me up on was that he deserved credit for Tiote but not really for the likes of Cisse and Cabaye. That's why I mentioned them again. You obviously disagree with this.

I never said he was some unknown player which Carr discovered either.

First you were arguing with me that "it was a surprise none of the big clubs were interested" Now you're arguing that they were interested.

There was no concrete interest from a big club. Simple as that. He signed for a team who had just been promoted.

I followed the guy closely at the time after we were linked with him (as I do for all Newcastle transfer targets) and he was not regarded the way you say he was at Twente that season, he was in and out of the team constantly. He played a lot less than the 2009 season. It's not like he was some young lad coming through, he was 24.

Anyway, my point to begin with was that we can give Carr credit for Tiote, not that he had plucked him from obscurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It's really disheartening how this thread, which is actually great for keeping up with the less documented moves around Europe, descends into a bitchy mess every couple of pages.

For those who missed it, Chilean 18 year old Angelo Henriquez has been granted a work permit and will join United from Universidad de Chile. I'm excited about him, he has a ridiculous goal catalogue for an 18 year old.

My original post was "He's doing a very good job, no doubt and big credit on the likes of Tiote, but Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Cisse etc.. every scout in the country should know who these guys are"

My original point which you pulled me up on was that he deserved credit for Tiote but not really for the likes of Cisse and Cabaye. That's why I mentioned them again. You obviously disagree with this.

I never said he was some unknown player which Carr discovered either.

First you were arguing with me that "it was a surprise none of the big clubs were interested" Now you're arguing that they were interested.

There was no concrete interest from a big club. Simple as that. He signed for a team who had just been promoted.

I followed the guy closely at the time after we were linked with him (as I do for all Newcastle transfer targets) and he was not regarded the way you say he was at Twente that season, he was in and out of the team constantly. He played a lot less than the 2009 season. It's not like he was some young lad coming through, he was 24.

Anyway, my point to begin with was that we can give Carr credit for Tiote, not that he had plucked him from obscurity.

I was surprised that no bigger club came in and made a firm bid in 2010 when Newcastle did. That is just my opinion on that bit.

I do give Carr credit. I think the last line of my post does reflect that. I think the man is quite forward thinking in terms of how he uses scouting agencies from mainland Europe given how slow many other British clubs have been in doing so. If my earlier posts came across as some kind of knock on the guy, then that was not my intention. Your last line I totally agree with, but I think that we will continue to disagree on a few of the other points that we have brought up, so I am happy to leave it at agreeing to disagree on a few bits, or if you want to debate it I would be happy to do so in the NUFC superthread rather than eat up more space in this thread.

I was surprised that no bigger club came in and made a firm bid in 2010 when Newcastle did. That is just my opinion on that bit.

I do give Carr credit. I think the last line of my post does reflect that. I think the man is quite forward thinking in terms of how he uses scouting agencies from mainland Europe given how slow many other British clubs have been in doing so. If my earlier posts came across as some kind of knock on the guy, then that was not my intention. Your last line I totally agree with, but I think that we will continue to disagree on a few of the other points that we have brought up, so I am happy to leave it at agreeing to disagree on a few bits, or if you want to debate it I would be happy to do so in the NUFC superthread rather than eat up more space in this thread.

I agree, let's leave it at that. I'm watching the Newcastle game and we just conceeded so I'll direct my moaning that way:pac:

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    It's really disheartening how this thread, which is actually great for keeping up with the less documented moves around Europe, descends into a bitchy mess every couple of pages.

For those who missed it, Chilean 18 year old Angelo Henriquez has been granted a work permit and will join United from Universidad de Chile. I'm excited about him, he has a ridiculous goal catalogue for an 18 year old.

In fairness Mikey, I don't think that BettercallSaul was anything other than polite in how he was debating his points, and I hope that I did not come across as being snide/bitchy towards him either.

I do take on board that it is taking up space in this thread and have tried to rectify that in my post prior to this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

He should be loaned back out. He's not ready to play.

Playing regular first team football in Chile/Copa Libertadores > Manchester United Reserves

In fairness Mikey, I don't think that BettercallSaul was anything other than polite in how he was debating his points, and I hope that I did not come across as being snide/bitchy towards him either.

I do take on board that it is taking up space in this thread and have tried to rectify that in my post prior to this one.

Not necessarily about your discussion, more-so the "OOOH OWNED" and posts after it, and there have been a good few bitch-fests before.

Back to the transfers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Julio Cesar to QPR is completed..

Inter have also completed signing of Gargano, Alvaro Pereira is all but done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Giggsy11 wrote: »

I'm amazed by this, I really am. Really about as much as the RVP switch. I still think of QPR as legitimate relegation candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Giggsy11 wrote: »

I wouldn't even like to guess what sort of salary they're giving him. Rob Green is on £40,000 a week too. I personally think Green is atrocious and think they shouldn't have gone near him in the first place but you have to wonder what the QPR board are at signing him to a 2 year deal and then sanctioning a no doubt big money move for Cesar (in terms of signing fee and wages) after one game.

Seems like a complete scatter gun approach at QPR these days with no real plan or long term vision. Their wage bill must be frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I wouldn't even like to guess what sort of salary they're giving him. Rob Green is on £40,000 a week too. I personally think Green is atrocious and think they shouldn't have gone near him in the first place but you have to wonder what the QPR board are at signing him to a 2 year deal and then sanctioning a no doubt big money move for Cesar (in terms of signing fee and wages) after one game.

Seems like a complete scatter gun approach at QPR these days with no real plan or long term vision. Their wage bill must be frightening.

I dont understand QPR's transfer policy at all, as you've already said about the goal keepers, they seem to be just buying all players with a reputation but who are also past their best.

Id say they are hoping that they'll just stay up and maybe one day buy some youth players who might actually have a career with the club.

QPR is that guy who shows up to a party already locked and with far too much drink, and you just look at him and think "I hope I don't have to clean up after him!"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

QPR is a team who seem to be run by a guy playing Football Manager, snapping up familiar names so they know who everyone on their team is, regardless of whether they are needed or are tactically sound buys. :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Their wage bill must be frightening.
    Fernandes claims that it's actually lower than it was last year.

They've got rid of 15 players this summer.

Vine, Cook, Connolly, Helguson, Buszaky, Shittu. Ramage, Hall, Kenny, Gabbidon, Agyemang, off the top of my head and possibly more to come (Campbell, Smith).

They've also paid relatively bugger-all for players in so far (not counting Dawson as it's not done yet) - about 6 million or so.

Also, I can't see where this César transfer is officially confirmed yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Cesar is still a really good goalkeeper, no shame in being replaced at Inter by one of the most consistant goalkeepers in Eutope over the past few seasons. Carvalho if not overused will bring so much to the side, quality and invaluable experience. Dawson is very solid. Think the skepticism towards their dealings is a bit ott to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Cesar hasn't really been the same since his car crash a couple of years ago. He can lose concentration at key moments, much like Rob Green actually.

Paddy Kenny must be loving this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yeah he's shaky under a high ball at times, opts for the punch too often like a lot of keepers on the continent but when it come to point blank saves there's very few better than him in the world, his agility is incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Cesar was one of Inter's more consistent players last year. Problem was his wages, and Moratti wanted the bill reduced, so he replaced him with the cheaper Handanovic.

ValenciaInEnglish ‏@VCFInEnglish
    Valencia have now officially confirmed the signing of Aly Cissokho from Lyon.
    The left back signs a four year deal with the club for a fee of around €6 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

carlop wrote: »
    Cesar hasn't really been the same since his car crash a couple of years ago. He can lose concentration at key moments, much like Rob Green actually.

Paddy Kenny must be loving this.

QPR have reported him for sending abusive text's to fernandes & some other guy on saturday night mocking them after the 5-0 loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Saw this and made me smile

Thomas Paton ‏@ThomasdPaton
    A shout out to the agents getting their GCSE results today: @Football_Agent9 @FootballAgent49 @Agent_ITK @agent_153 @EPLAgent007 #Pray4A's

It's absolutely unbelievable that some with a twitter account name of EPLAgent007 can have almost 20,000 followers. That's the type of attempt at an account name that I would consider not possible by anyone over the age of 15. Utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Don't know if its been posted but Alvaro Perreira gone to Inter from Porto for circa €15m.

Another cracking bit of business for Porto - bought him for €4.5m.

They're some club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

cson wrote: »
    Don't know if its been posted but Alvaro Perreira gone to Inter from Porto for circa €15m.

Another cracking bit of business for Porto - bought him for €4.5m.

They're some club.
    well, chelsea would have paid more last summer!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

well, chelsea would have paid more last summer!

And thankfully didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Richard Dunne reported to be heading to Stoke & Ryan Shawcross to QPR if Dawson fails to agree terms.

Ki Sung Yeung to join Swansea from Celtic in the next day or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Had to post this beauty:

@FootyAgent_ITK: CONFIRMED: Patrice Evra WILL move to Liverpool for an initial £9m (+£1m if #lfc get back in CL)............IN JANUARY. More to follow. #mufc”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

The funniest Transfer Saga of the season must be the one of Bayern and Martinez from Bilbao.

- Bayern has agreed a deal with Martinez, and the player has made it clear he wants to go.

- Bayern tries to negotiate deal, but Bilbao won't budge, and demand for th release clause to be triggered (40 mil. Euro)

- Bayern finally agrees to meet the release clause of 40 mil.

- Bilbao refuses to be paid directly by Bayern. They now want the player to buy himself out the contract.

- Problem is that if Bayern would pay the 40 mil. to Martinez to buy himself out of his contract some additional taxes between around 6-8 mil Euro would be due, making it an almost 50 mil Transfer.

- Bayern refuses Bilbao's demands, and asks the Uefa and Spanish FA for help to broker a deal to work around the problem, but Bilbao refuses to move on their position.

It now looks as the deal won't happen, and Bilbao will be stuck with a player that has his mind set on a move. Never good for a team. And all because there are presidential elections in the Autumn, for which the President needs all the votes he can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If Mancini has his way then some Abu Dhabi dosh will be heading Bilbao's way for Martinez. All depends on Khaldoon and Marwood though.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Abu Dhabi dosh

Is that like?..

Russian mafia moula
    Wenger wonga
    Manc borrowed bullion
    Scouser schillings (thats all we have to spend)

Leiva wrote: »
    Is that like?..

Russian mafia moula
    Wenger wonga
    Manc borrowed bullion
    Scouser schillings (thats all we have to spend)

If it catches on then absolutely.

Speaking of Scouser shillings, and I dare not post this in the Pool thread, but according to Tony Barrett the Sahin deal is for a one year loan with no option to buy. Including wages, is spunking some of the little cash you have on a player on that sort of deal not incredibly short sighted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Speaking of Scouser shillings, and I dare not post this in the Pool thread, but according to Tony Barrett the Sahin deal is for a one year loan with no option to buy. Including wages, is spunking some of the little cash you have on a player on that sort of deal not incredibly short sighted?

For a player of his quality I have no problem signing him for a year. He will win us points on his own which will get us closer to the top 4 which will let us attract a higher calibre of player next summer.

I will hold judgement until its finalised if that's ok .

There has been so much b.s associated with this transfer that's it's nearly getting as bad as hazardgate, I said nearly :p

Melion wrote: »
    For a player of his quality I have no problem signing him for a year. He will win us points on his own which will get us closer to the top 4 which will let us attract a higher calibre of player next summer.

Unless you get to the Champions League places, and I'm 99% sure you won't, there's nothing between the type of player you'll get for being 6th as opposed to 8th.

That 7 million or whatever it adds up to be would be better spent elsewhere imo given there isn't (according to Barrett) an option to buy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Unless you get to the Champions League places, and I'm 99% sure you won't, there's nothing between the type of player you'll get for being 6th as opposed to 8th.

That 7 million or whatever it adds up to be would be better spent elsewhere imo given there isn't (according to Barrett) an option to buy.

There are no midfielders out there for under 10m that come anywhere close to Sahins level. Even if its only for a year, it's still a great signing by the club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement