Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day: Bring Out The Transfer Gimp!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Not what Dempsey expected this morning I'd say!

"If I can't sign for Liverpool I'll retire" - Clint Dempsey.

A1qRj0ACEAA5GxY.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Not what Dempsey expected this morning I'd say!

A1qRj0ACEAA5GxY.jpg:large

Probably far better than he expected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Degag wrote: »
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    Bit of a damp squid this year. Granero to qpr and Fulham trolling Liverpool the only real excitement.
    Ah come down off that pedalstool.
    He'd probably have to come off his pedestal first!
    pNGVjS83_original.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Moutinho to spurs back on (somehow) according to bbc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Thing is with Dempsey... He's actually in a far better situation now than if he actually signed with Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Welcome Javi Garcia :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Spurs have done the best business of the window for me, net spend of feck all and a good shakeup of the squad. If the Moutinho deal goes through, it will be an unreal transfer window for them!

Vilas Boas will be under fierce pressure to get the best of that squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Never heard of him. Poor decision to let De Jong go.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Spurs have done the best business of the window for me, net spend of feck all and a good shakeup of the squad. If the Moutinho deal goes through, it will be an unreal transfer window for them!

Vilas Boas will be under fierce pressure to get the best of that squad.

Swansea and Sunderland have done great business as well.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Never heard of him.
    Yeah, he's sh¡t so.

• Advertisement

You will soon enough.

De Jong was in the last year of his contract and rejected a new one. Milan were the only team interested. From a business perspective what would you have done?

You will soon enough.

De Jong was in the last year of his contract and rejected a new one. Milan were the only team interested. From a business perspective what would you have done?

Kept him for the last season of his contract. Buys another year to try persuade him to sign on. Its not as if your owners are likely too bothered about the miniscyle fee ye ended up getting for him.

Kept him for the last season of his contract. Buys another year to try persuade him to sign on. Its not as if your owners are likely too bothered about the miniscyle fee ye ended up getting for him.

From a fan point of view that's what I wanted but he was on big money and in this window we've been about shipping out some high earners (Bridge, Santa Cruz, Adebayor, De Jong). Once he rejected the deal offered the writing was on the wall unfortunately.

Neither party were budging, either now or next summer, so they got the small fee they could get and save on his wages.

From a fan point of view that's what I wanted but he was on big money and in this window we've been about shipping out some high earners (Bridge, Santa Cruz, Adebayor, De Jong). Once he rejected the deal offered the writing was on the wall unfortunately.

Neither party were budging, either now or next summer, so they got the small fee they could get and save on his wages.

The difference between NDJ and the other three you mentioned though is that IMO he was a very important part of your squad with lots still to offer. Garcia is a fair step down in quality IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

You will soon enough.

I didn't like him in the CL last year and I love how so many people seem to rate him now he's signed for City but Andy Brassell seems to like him and I'd trust him.

At least the Dembele bandwagon saw him play once.

The difference between NDJ and the other three you mentioned though is that IMO he was a very important part of your squad with lots still to offer. Garcia is a fair step down in quality IMO.

Is he? I've not seen enough of him to commit either way but they are big shoes to fill definitely.

I think between Garcia and Rodwell though we've covered the position nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Talksport indicate if the continued financial issues continue at Shanghai Shenhua F.C, that the contracts of Anelka and Drogba may be cancelled making then free agents and therefore available for transfer.

Though the greedy feckers, would probably refuse to leave with money owed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Garcia is a much younger player too though with the potential to be far far better than NDJ

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

TRANSFER NEWS: City have beat the deadline to sign 19-year-old Spurs striker Harry Kane on a season-long loan deal.

From their twitter, leaves Spurs a bit light up front!

Norwich that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Didn't he go to Fulham as part of the Dempsey deal :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Oscorp wrote: »
    Didn't he go to Fulham as part of the Dempsey deal :confused:

Thought he may have but that's on the official Norwich twitter and now Sky Sports!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Talksport indicate if the continued financial issues continue at Shanghai Shenhua F.C, that the contracts of Anelka and Drogba may be cancelled making then free agents and therefore available for transfer.

Read an article on this recently. Their was a minority owner who was told his stake in the club would be raised if he put $25m into the club. He has put something like $90m into it and they reneged on the increased stake agreement. He is threatening to pull his funding which would f**k up the club.

I then read on twitter, from an Asian football journo I follow, that the same guy has made threats to pull out in the past. So who knows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

You said earlier you hadnt seen him play before :confused:

And they'd be within their rights tbf.

I didn't like him in the CL last year and I love how so many people seem to rate him now he's signed for City but Andy Brassell seems to like him and I'd trust him.

At least the Dembele bandwagon saw him play once.

You're on scintillating form tonight, Archie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Can do a job, but overall he is pretty meh tbh

Not exactly an exciting signing like surely? Seems a pretty good replacement for De Jong in the squad really but don't think he is a like for like replacement in terms of quality (not yet at least)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

You will soon enough.

Simple. Keep him for a year and then he might change his mind. Or at least get a decent fee for him. 4m? Even that times 8 wouldn't buy an Andy Carroll. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

Hi, first post in here so don't shred me please. Is nobody surprised, or amazed even, that Chelsea didn't sign a central midfielder? Somebody like a Mkhitaryan or Witsel. Frank and Mikel/meirelles are going to be seriously overrun by half decent teams imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Skippy44 wrote: »
    Hi, first post in here so don't shred me please. Is nobody surprised, or amazed even, that Chelsea didn't sign a central midfielder? Somebody like a Mkhitaryan or Witsel. Frank and Mikel/meirelles are going to be seriously overrun by half decent teams imo.

Your forgetting Ramires. They signed the young Brazilian Oscar but he is more of a attacking midfielder/winger, also dont forget Romeu who is a defensive midfielder usually, looks a bright prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

0_CVFy.jpg

kryogen wrote: »
    Can do a job, but overall he is pretty meh tbh

Not exactly an exciting signing like surely? Seems a pretty good replacement for De Jong in the squad really but don't think he is a like for like replacement in terms of quality (not yet at least)

A 25 year old Spanish international midfielder isn't exciting? Fair enough, though I'm sure your fans would love something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

With De Jong gone alot of opposition players must breath a sigh of relief, chances of getting their legs broken on the pitch have greatly deminished!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

A 25 year old Spanish international midfielder isn't exciting? Fair enough, though I'm sure your fans would love something similar.

Spanish international midfielder? 1 cap is all he has. Just about qualifies.

fearcruach wrote: »
    Spanish international midfielder? 1 cap is all he has. Just about qualifies.

But still qualifies right?

Love all the attempted bubble bursting going on, lemons all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Love all the attempted bubble bursting going on,keith lemons all round.

fyp

• Advertisement

Nah he's a decent player but saying he's a Spanish international player a la Busquets etc is a big wide of the mark.

Neil "Razor" Ruddock has an England cap despite being truly awful. Not saying Javi Garcia is awful but there's no need to hype him into the second coming of Christ.

Nah he's a decent player but saying he's a Spanish international player a la Busquets etc is a big wide of the mark.

Neil "Razor" Ruddock has an England cap despite being truly awful. Not saying Javi Garcia is awful but there's no need to hype him into the second coming of Christ.

Who did that? He IS a Spanish international, and no one mentioned him being one 'a la Busquets'. :confused:

Hyperbole ftw eh?

Who did that? He IS a Spanish international, and no one mentioned him being one 'a la Busquets'. :confused:

Hyperbole ftw eh?

Paul Green is an Irish International. Having caps doesn't mean anything. If you are bigging up his international credentials, it's fair to assume that you are comparing to similar players in the squad e.g. Busquets.

Paul Green is an Irish International. Having caps doesn't mean anything. If you are bigging up his international credentials, it's fair to assume that you are comparing to similar players in the squad e.g. Busquets.

It's not fair to assume anything and using Paul Green as an example is disingenuous given the respective standards of their national teams.

But sure, we've been duped and he's a one cap wonder in the Paul Butler mould if that makes it better.

It's not fair to assume anything and using Paul Green as an example is disingenuous given the respective standards of their national teams.

But sure, we've been duped and he's a one cap wonder in the Paul Butler mould if that makes it better.

I'm sure he's grand. I was using the Paul Green example that caps don't mean anything.

We'll revisit the argument at the end of the season. I think that's fair enough :)

• Advertisement

I'm sure he's grand. I was using the Paul Green example that caps don't mean anything.

We'll revisit the argument at the end of the season. I think that's fair enough :)

I'm by no means guaranteeing he'll be a success but he has a good pedigree so it's reason enough to be just a touch excited about the signing.

Happy to look at it in May for sure :)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Speaking of defensive midfielders. Just looking back, tis somewhat funny M'Vila is stuck with Rennes still. He's pissed off a lot of people this summer including Blanc, the FFA, his club and supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

-Ade- wrote: »
    Speaking of defensive midfielders. Just looking back, tis somewhat funny M'Vila is stuck with Rennes still. He's pissed off a lot of people this summer including Blanc, the FFA, his club and supporters.

He's overhyped and he believes his own hype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

There's no 'lemons all round'. People came into the United thread after he signed for City saying we should of signed him, even on Facebook comments about how we missed out on Javi Garcia.

He wasn't mentioned all summer. I've already said before I didn't like him the CL last year but I don't watch Portuguese football at all. I think the Primeira Liga is painful to watch bar the Porto v Benfica games. But Andy Brassell seems to rate him and he seems to know his stuff so I'd trust him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Get over yourself mate!

No bubble bursting, he is no an exciting player. Someone who moves like a crab in front of the back four rarely is.

Just because he is 25 and Spanish hardly makes him drool worthy

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

He's overhyped hype

Disagree.
    he believes his own hype

Agreed, and there lies the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've been away from everything for the last day and missed a few of the transfers. Caught SSN this morning and saw Bendtner has moved to Juventus. Can someone explain to me how the **** that happened?

He had a good Euros but that's it. From Sunderland to Juventus in the space of a few months. Not bad going for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I've been away from everything for the last day and missed a few of the transfers. Caught SSN this morning and saw Bendtner has moved to Juventus. Can someone explain to me how the **** that happened?

He had a good Euros but that's it. From Sunderland to Juventus in the space of a few months. Not bad going for him.
    Juve needed a striker and failed at trying to sign Cavani, van Persie, Jovetic, Dzeko, Llorente, Drogba, Suarez, Berbatov, Pazzini, Destro...the list goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Juve needed a striker and failed at trying to sign Cavani, van Persie, Jovetic, Dzeko, Llorente, Drogba, Suarez, Berbatov, Pazzini, Destro...the list goes on.

My god. They should have tried harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

You can quote this back to me along with a generous serving of humble pie if I get it wrong but imo Bendtner will eat it up in Serie A. I'd expect him to hit in or around the 15-20 goal mark if he starts regularly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement