Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day: Bring Out The Transfer Gimp!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That_Guy wrote: »
    Hasn't had a single injury this season.

Tactic for next season - Kick Ba.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

gavredking wrote: »
    Tactic for next season - Kick Ba Cissé.

;)

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

FYP

Easier said then done :eek:

Hes a big unit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

That_Guy wrote: »
    Hasn't had a single injury this season.

And long may that continue.

back on topic Edin hazard (sigh ffs) is back whoring himself to the media again.

will join either chelsea. Utd or Citeh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Its only a matter of time before Hazard has a public vote on the ****ing transfer.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Benfica have confirmed the signing of Ola John from FC Twente. Five year deal, undisclosed fee, €45M release.

Rumors are that the fee is between 9-12M euros. Exactly what Benfica need ie: some pace and a final ball from the wings.

sounds good. he has been tipped in the past to be a good player ola john

I don't know why but I have a soft spot for benfica in the last couple of years since di maria was with them and have been looking out for their results.

Still glad we (chelsea) knocked them out of the CL though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bayern have made a bid for Matias Suarez of Anderlecht. Nice signing for whoever gets him this Summer!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

amiable wrote: »
    Swansea are close to sealing a €9m deal for loan star Gylfi Sigurdsson according to Kicker

I am surprised one of the champions league clubs didn't go for him. I think he even qualifies as a home grown player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport
    West Brom in talks with Claudio Ranieri and Ray Wilkins about succeeding Roy Hodgson as manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I am surprised one of the champions league clubs didn't go for him. I think he even qualifies as a home grown player.

Such a big transfer for Swansea, I'd say it's a calculated risk knowing they could double their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gylfi Sigurðsso to Swansea on permanent deal it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Swansea agreed a £6.8million fee for Siggy . That's a bargain IMO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Swansea agreed a £6.8million fee for Siggy . That's a bargain IMO

Superb purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great bit of business by Swansea,surprised one of the top clubs didnt take a chance on him.

They sold him for exactly what they paid 2 years ago, maybe even less.

F**king idiots they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Lads Sigurdsson has only played 18 games for Swansea, yes he's looked very good but I'm sure there's plenty of players who have played well for half a season :P

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Not sure if mentioned, but Valencia have signed Guardado from Depor and Atléti have picked up Cristian Rodríguez on a free. Both potentially good transfers in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Samich wrote: »
    Lads Sigurdsson has only played 18 games for Swansea, yes he's looked very good but I'm sure there's plenty of players who have played well for half a season :P

So. He has been brilliant in those games. 7 goals and 5 assists in 18 games is great. Also he only started 13 games for Hoffenheim and he was given their POTY a year ago.

He single-handedly won them games away from home. Up until then they were rubbish on the road. I know they played the top teams towards the start of the season but he brought a more attacking dimension to the team.

He has one of the best strikes of the ball in the league and he has very nearly perfected the late run into the box from midfield. He only played half the games but he had more goals from outside the box than almost every other player in the league.

This is a brilliant piece of business for Swansea. They needed him to really make a go of the league next year and challenge for a top-10 spot at the least.

With a full pre-season behind him he could be a real force next year.

I can't believe Hoffenheim have let him go so cheaply.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Great buy for Swansea. Hope he kicks on with the form, big player for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Not sure if mentioned, but Valencia have signed Guardado from Depor and Atléti have picked up Cristian Rodríguez on a free. Both potentially good transfers in my opinion.

Was pretty surprised at that, especially considering he stayed with them when they were relegated. They'll struggle to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Frisbee wrote: »
    Was pretty surprised at that, especially considering he stayed with them when they were relegated. They'll struggle to replace him.

His contract ran out though- was time for him to move to a bigger club. If he can stay injury-free he'll be a great signing.
    It's looking a little more promising that Alba might stay too, with interest in Mehmet Topal and Tino Costa from Turkey, and Mathieu from Bayern. Guardado and Alba would be a formidable left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

honigstein: Kagawa to MUFC transfer is nearly completed. fee €15m rising to €22m. Sporting director Zorc: "some details tbc". (via Kicker)

If you're Gylfi Sigurðsson you would be going mad if Rodgers leaves for Liverpool after him signing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

elefant wrote: »
    It's looking a little more promising that Alba might stay too

You think so? El Mundo Deportivo reporting that he's closer to Barça than ever, but obviously they're far from reliable. Do you support València?

If you're Gylfi Sigurðsson you would be going mad if Rodgers leaves for Liverpool after him signing .

Big time. I'm sure that was a major part of the reason that he signed on in the first place. Swansea could be in big trouble if Rodgers leaves. It'll be hard for another manager to come in and promote the same, or a similar, system of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

S
    I can't believe Hoffenheim have let him go so cheaply.

I wonder why they have? Must be something gone on behind the scenes for them to have let him go on loan in January and then sell him for that price?

Great signing for Swansea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Big time. I'm sure that was a major part of the reason that he signed on in the first place. Swansea could be in big trouble if Rodgers leaves. It'll be hard for another manager to come in and promote the same, or a similar, system of play.

It won't. Swansea only recruit managers that will do this.

Guardiola new Swansea manager :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Guardiola new Swansea manager :)

That would be good to see, kind of club he needs to prove himself in the real world and not with a squad full of world class players and Messi (godlike).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Same as when Martinez or Sousa left really. They're actually one of the most ideally placed clubs when it comes to losing a manager.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went foreign.

You think so? El Mundo Deportivo reporting that he's closer to Barça than ever, but obviously they're far from reliable. Do you support València?

Yes I do. I don't really trust the newspapers of Barcelona or Real (especially not Marca), but I certainly wouldn't rule out a transfer. Still, I seriously doubt Valencia would sell both Mathieu and Alba, and I'm pretty sure Alba is happy to stay at the Mestalla.

Fingers crossed anyway, I'm sick of those two buying every player that breaks into the national side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Yes I do. I don't really trust the newspapers of Barcelona or Real (especially not Marca), but I certainly wouldn't rule out a transfer. Still, I seriously doubt Valencia would sell both Mathieu and Alba, and I'm pretty sure Alba is happy to stay at the Mestalla.

Fingers crossed anyway, I'm sick of those two buying every player that breaks into the national side.

Out of interest, where do you go for your Spanish football news? A local Valencian paper?

I'm in a similar boat in that I don't like Barca or Madrid, which basically rules out the big 4 sports dailies (though I have to say for layout, Marca's website is pretty good and the one I use most).

The newspapers like El Pais or El Mundo give very little space to sports, so it always leaves me running out of options.

Paully D wrote: »
    I wonder why they have? Must be something gone on behind the scenes for them to have let him go on loan in January and then sell him for that price?

Great signing for Swansea.

From what little information I've found about his time in Germany he was used primarily off the bench in his first season. 19 times he came on as a sub. It was enough to win POTY.

Then he seems to have gotten injured in pre-season and missed the first month of last season. A new manager came in and Sigurdsson didn't fit into his system. The team went on a bad run and he was sent on loan.

It was just Swansea's luck that he arrived there. They would certainly have been stuck in the relegation battle without him in my opinion.

As for why Hoffenheim didn't take him back after his loan spell, I haven't a clue. It's a strange one. He'd be a terrific addition to most teams around.
    s.welstead wrote: »
    Same as when Martinez or Sousa left really. They're actually one of the most ideally placed clubs when it comes to losing a manager.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went foreign.

They'll surely have to go foreign. There aren't all that many managers in England that would have the tactical nous to play the Swansea way.

They are lucky though that they have the security of a good finish in the league last year and another year in the PL. It gives them a good bargaining tool to use in their search for a new manager if Rodgers does leave them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

It was just Swansea's luck that he arrived there. They would certainly have been stuck in the relegation battle without him in my opinion.

Disagree - they weren't in one before Sigurdsson came. They also loaned McEchran (Or however you spell it), an incredible prospect and never used him for any significant amount of time - he'd have had a good effect if he'd played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Why Hoffenheim even sent Sigurdsson out on loan in the first place is madness.

Why Hoffenheim even sent Sigurdsson out on loan in the first place is madness.

He got injured early on and lost his place in the team, when he came back he wasn't playing as well as he had before his injury.

Still no excuse for selling him for sweet f**k all. That club is run by goons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    He got injured early on and lost his place in the team, when he came back he wasn't playing as well as he had before his injury.

Still no excuse for selling him for sweet f**k all. That club is run by goons.
    They sold him at a profit and clearly wasn't wanted at the club.

Owen_S wrote: »
    They sold him at a profit and clearly wasn't wanted at the club.

They sold him for what they paid when you add in the addons paid to Reading. He was their record sale, beating Kevin Doyle's £6.5m transfer to Wolves. So they got at least that for him. He was wanted by the manager. Babbel said it when he took over that he wanted Sigurdsson back in the summer. Obviously he doesn't have a say which is why Rangnick left that job after the club Hopp sold Gustavo behind his back.

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    Disagree - they weren't in one before Sigurdsson came. They also loaned McEchran (Or however you spell it), an incredible prospect and never used him for any significant amount of time - he'd have had a good effect if he'd played.

McEachran was very unlucky. I remember it was a straight choice between him and Sigurdsson for my Fantasy team. Thankfully I got it right.

Maybe he would have stepped up and performed well but we'll never really know. What I do know is that Sigurdsson's contribution to their away form was vital.

They won 4 away games all season and he played in 3 of them. In those 3 games Swansea scored 7 goals. Siggy scored 5 of those goals and got an assist for another. Without him there Swansea seemed to be afraid almost when they went away from home. On their own patch they were brilliant and bet some big teams.

One of those away matches was against Fulham, who had beaten some good teams at home. Not an easy place to go and win 3-0.

Oh and he could well have gotten them a point on his own against Spurs in White Hart Lane. He had 2 brilliant shots saved by Friedel and scored a great goal. With a bit of luck and a lesser keeper than Friedel in there then they might have gotten something.

Without his goals in those three matches then they could well have been in a bit of trouble but I don't think they were ever in danger of going down.

carlop wrote: »
    Out of interest, where do you go for your Spanish football news? A local Valencian paper?

I'm in a similar boat in that I don't like Barca or Madrid, which basically rules out the big 4 sports dailies (though I have to say for layout, Marca's website is pretty good and the one I use most).

The newspapers like El Pais or El Mundo give very little space to sports, so it always leaves me running out of options.

I use this Valencia forum http://valenciacflosche.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general. It's very good for anything pertaining to Valencia.

I use this Valencia forum http://valenciacflosche.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general. It's very good for anything pertaining to Valencia.

I'd be more an Atletico fan myself, but sure I'll bookmark it in case I ever want to know something Valencia-related. At least it's a non-Barca/Madrid source of info.

On the topic of Atletico Madrid, they've signed Emre on a free transfer. Not too happy to be honest, the Zokora incident has left a pretty big shadow over him and I don't think he'll really improve on the current players.

They've also signed Cristian 'Cebolla' Rodriguez from Porto on a free. The guy has over 40 caps for Uruguay, but I actually don't know too much about him. Maybe someone who follows the Portuguese league could give an opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Dzeko on his way to Munich possibly. His agent has offered him to Bayern.

Julian Schieber on his way to Dortmund (probably)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

carlop wrote: »
    They've also signed Cristian 'Cebolla' Rodriguez from Porto on a free. The guy has over 40 caps for Uruguay, but I actually don't know too much about him. Maybe someone who follows the Portuguese league could give an opinion?

Watched him for 2/3 years when he was at Penerol in Uruguay and a few while he was at Porto. Decent winger with good pace, decent technically and has a good cross on him. At Penerol he was electric on either of the flanks. Didn't get many goals at all, but got a decent number of assists. Love the (supposed) origin of his 'Cebolla' nickname. He terrorised defences for about 2 years straight, constantly running at and past them. One opposition player was caught on camera with a tear in his eye during a game a few moments after Rodriguez had run past him and as a result of that, Rodriguez is nicknamed Cebolla, or onion :D

At Porto he was again, decent on the wing. Played left side while newly signed Hulk played on the right with Lisandro in the middle. Deadly trio it has to be said. He frequently scored that season, mainly from headers coming in off the line. The following year, Porto signed Varela for the left flank and Rodriguez was more of an impact player from then on. Despite that, he figured regularly for Porto until this summer, and played a major role in helping his side win various cups including a league and cup double, as well as the Europa the season before last.

He'll be a great option for Atleti and should he start, he'll be supplying crosses to Falcao with regularity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bit late but:

Romain-Amalfitano_2769889.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Only noticed this when a mate mentioned it this morning and then saw your post. Really good signing that. I was shocked no one picked him last summer after they were relegated and his performances soon after for Mexico in the CONCAF Cup (yes, the opposition was mostly cack before pointed out), but he was the driving force from midfield as they went onto to win the thing. It was no surprise that their only poor performance last summer was a result of him playing his only poor game of the tournament (think they either drew 0-0 or won 1-0, fairly sure it was the latter). A season wasted in the Segunda for him, though I suppose he was part of Depor being promoted, so it balances out somewhat from my POV as it's good to see Depor back in the top flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Transfer Central TNC ‏@TransferNewsCen
    According to various reports,Hulk has put pen to paper on a 5 year deal with Chelsea. Will earn 145K a week

I'll wait for a more reliable source but this rumour of a transfer to Chelsea has been around for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

zerks wrote: »
    Transfer Central TNC ‏@TransferNewsCen
    According to various reports,Hulk has put pen to paper on a 5 year deal with Chelsea. Will earn 145K a week

I'll wait for a more reliable source but this rumour of a transfer to Chelsea has been around for a while.

I thought PSG were interested too ?

Advertisement