Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Math's paper 2 accuracy - line of best fit

• 28-04-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I was just doing some paper twos, and generally when I do the correlation questions the line of best fit and the answers I get from using it are always off by a good bit. When they're marking will they take the time to check and see if mine is correct, or will they go by the marking scheme?
    For example just there I got a slope of 2.33 (which is correct for my line), when the answer is given as 3.

I understand everyone will have a different answer, but how will they mark it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

They give a range, I'm pretty sure. Do you have a roughly equal number of points on either side of your line? If you're not waaay off you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

My teacher says to get the slope of the actual line of best fit on your calculator and just draw your line roughly based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

to properly draw line of best fit, its best to get the mean of the 2 sets of data, of the the 2 variables. the line of best fit will go through the mean and helps you to get it more accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

If the number of data points is small, you could use your calculator to get the exact line. (Input the data the same way as for a correlation coefficient, and then just press the buttons that give the slope and intercept.)

I'm sure a reasonable tolerance will be allowed anyway.

For example, when they trialled the sample paper in the pilot schools, the report says (on page 31) that they used the following in the case of Question 7:

(iv) Scale 5A
    Accept:
    Line whose slope is between 1·5 and 5, (i.e. rises by at least three and no more than ten grid squares across the full width of the diagram) and has at least four data points on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Yeah my mock's marking scheme gave values and said (or two accurately read points from student's scatterplot)

• Advertisement
Advertisement