Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration of Equine Premises

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thelionspet

Hi

I am also wondering what the general consensus is about the equine premises registration. Personally I think it will be another way of taxing us. If there is a disease outbreak, it can be posted through the media.. they are hardly going to contact every individual now are they?

Plus, the administration for hunt clubs, riding clubs, racing venues etc is going to be HUGE. Every event must register who partakes.

It is blowing my mind.. what does everyone else think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Hi

I am also wondering what the general consensus is about the equine premises registration. Personally I think it will be another way of taxing us. If there is a disease outbreak, it can be posted through the media.. they are hardly going to contact every individual now are they?

Plus, the administration for hunt clubs, riding clubs, racing venues etc is going to be HUGE. Every event must register who partakes.

It is blowing my mind.. what does everyone else think?

Clarification has recently being issued on riding clubs, racing venues, shows etc - its only a matter of the organisers ensuring they maintain lists of all entries. (ie - all entry forms etc to be retained).
    As regards hunting though, this is still up in the air & how it's going to be 'policed' has yet to be clarified..no one seems to know how they'll manage the hunting end of things.

It sounded like they wanted a lot more information from the FAQ site. I can't see how it will work. It's not like a herdnof cattle that arenonlymbeing moved for sale. I haven't registered yet. Feeling lost... Hate this government..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its for animal health reasons. And given the importance of the agri-food sector to the economy its not surprising. Ca. 90% of the worlds baby food is made in Ireland. Can you imagine what would happen if we had a food safety scare?

My hunt already take a register of who attends every day, its not that difficult to do really. Everyone signs in before the off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

It sounded like they wanted a lot more information from the FAQ site. I can't see how it will work. It's not like a herdnof cattle that arenonlymbeing moved for sale. I haven't registered yet. Feeling lost... Hate this government..

Have you read the form itself - it doesnt ask for that much information really, just basic stuff, acreage and number of horses and their purpose..your name, address, pps no, nothing more really of any great importance. It prob more than likely wont work foot perfect, but not many government departments though - but its in place now, its the law and i'm sure over time it will have to be changed/amended for improvements. I don't find it any great big deal to be honest!

• Advertisement

Perhaps I am too cynical. I don't believe it's entirely for animal welfare. The only people who will comply are the ones pretty much who are being responsible owners anyway. All the gypsies horses and ones running the fields in ballymun, are they going to be registered? I think not!

What will it aid knowing what horses were at a hunt meet or show? Certainly if they are being sold and changing ownership... Sure.

They want your pps no. That will be handy for slapping on a tax for horse ownership now won't it... Too cynical??

Think it's extreme nanny society.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Perhaps I am too cynical. I don't believe it's entirely for animal welfare.

Animal health I said, not welfare. Money is the bottom line here but not in the way people think.

What will it aid knowing what horses were at a hunt meet or show? Certainly if they are being sold and changing ownership... Sure.
    disease traceability fo rone.
    They want your pps no. That will be handy for slapping on a tax for horse ownership now won't it... Too cynical??
    Honestly, I'll eat my shoe if that is the case.

Sorry for mis quoting you. I would mean welfare in the context of health, welfare is important is it not even outside of health. I would have huge interest in the welfare of all animals.

If it's for disease control, every animal would need to be known/tagged...like the cattle etc I would think. As I've said, there are still going to be a fair amount of horses that people will not own up to having.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd hedge my bets and wear tasty shoes if I were you lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Another way to screw us.
    Mark my words.

I'm too old in the tooth to trust any politician.

OldRio... I'm agreeing with you.
    There are lots that seem to think it's for animal HEALTH.. I think it's a ruse.. they want information for their databases. I'm guessing that they'll think if we have money for horses.. we'll have more money to give to THEM..

Sorrry... miss cynical....
    Must be an age thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Money, one way or the other.
    You might only have a couple of horses.
    Next thing you know a question in the post 'What are ye doing with the muck and the waste?'
    More forms and more costs incurred.
    Or
    Dressed up as 'welfare for horses scheme' a small tax on horses owners to help in the costs of housing abandoned equine. Like most horses owners we give a lot to charity and we don't want more fecking legislation and/or taxes.

Rant over.
    Relax, deep breathing, In and out.
    Thats better.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

So has anyone registered?

I am just downloading forms here now!

Advertisement