Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA Liberal Arts ( English Lit & Geography)

Options
  • 28-04-2012 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hello there I will be doing my Leaving Cert in 2013 and I was wondering is there any students out ther that could explain to me what the two courses are like from a students perspective.

If you could tell me what it is like in relation to studying poetry, novels, dramas ect. What work is involved and how many hrs a week you spend at college.

In relation to Geography is it all thoery based or is there field studies and outdoor trips ect and what are the modules like and all of that stuff and any extra infromation would be SO beneficial to me as I really want to do this course!

So if anyone out there could please tell me anything I would be most grateful!

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Inimitable wrote: »
    Hello there I will be doing my Leaving Cert in 2013 and I was wondering is there any students out ther that could explain to me what the two courses are like from a students perspective.

If you could tell me what it is like in relation to studying poetry, novels, dramas ect. What work is involved and how many hrs a week you spend at college.

In relation to Geography is it all thoery based or is there field studies and outdoor trips ect and what are the modules like and all of that stuff and any extra infromation would be SO beneficial to me as I really want to do this course!

So if anyone out there could please tell me anything I would be most grateful!

:rolleyes:

Hey, I do geography and im currently in 2nd year!

1st year:

Two modules, one each semester.
    It covers every aspect of geog so as to give you a taster. Lots of practical work which gives you % marks throughout the semester

2nd year: 3 modules each semester but you choose just 2.

Sem 1: economic Geography
    Political Geography
    Physical geography

Sem 2: cultural Geography
    Maps and methods
    Biogeography

Third year: off campus placement!

That's all I know so far.

As for field trips, there's none in first year as the group is too large but there is at least one per semester for the rest of the years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

Thanks so much fo the info.. definitley going doing it next year! By the time I get in you will be in your 4th year!

I dont mean to stick my nose in your business but are you thinking of doing Teaching after you finishing or what? Do you also think that if you were to become that it gives you a really good understanding of Geography? Because I heard of a guy that did a course and he did'nt learn much from it?

Also one last thing how is the workload? Is there homework and stuff like that?

Thanks so much fo the info.. definitley going doing it next year! By the time I get in you will be in your 4th year!

I dont mean to stick my nose in your business but are you thinking of doing Teaching after you finishing or what? Do you also think that if you were to become that it gives you a really good understanding of Geography? Because I heard of a guy that did a course and he did'nt learn much from it?

Also one last thing how is the workload? Is there homework and stuff like that?

Personally I don't want to teach but next year I'm working in a geography related job so hope to end up in a job like it!

ARTS is great if you're not very certain!

Aren't Really Too Sure :)

Orite.. but do you get alot of homework?

Orite.. but do you get alot of homework?

You usually have one big essay/project per semester so you tap away at this.
    Tutorials usually require you to read something.
    Your exams require study so I suppose you can decide if it's a bit each night or a night before job.

• Advertisement

Orite I get you now... And is it anything like Leaving Cert Geography?

Orite I get you now... And is it anything like Leaving Cert Geography?

Some parts are such as physical whereas political is quite new.
    There's a lot of cross-over aswell. Theres aspects of history, science, politics, economics. LC gives you a good foundation but a lot is new. Having said that, the lecturers are very clear and helpful.

Thanks Poxyshamrock! Is there anyone out there currently studying English Literature in Mary I that could tell me what its like?

Advertisement