Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Bag Packers @ Tesco

Options
  • 28-04-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Am I alone in finding these people annoying? I don't like that they cant pack bags to begin with , I don't like having to tell people that I don't want them touching my food , and most of all I don't like feeling I have to give something for a service I don't require.
    Can anyone tell me do the major supermarkets have a policy of maybe leaving one register free of bag packers , so I don't have to get dirty looks because I want to pack my own bag , nor do I want to contribute to some random GAA team from fenagh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

Just say no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

When i see them, i always go to the self checkout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

godwin wrote: »
    Am I alone in finding these people annoying? I don't like that they cant pack bags to begin with , I don't like having to tell people that I don't want them touching my food , and most of all I don't like feeling I have to give something for a service I don't require.
    Can anyone tell me do the major supermarkets have a policy of maybe leaving one register free of bag packers , so I don't have to get dirty looks because I want to pack my own bag , nor do I want to contribute to some random GAA team from fenagh?

In fairness, most of them don't want to be there either.

Shure, none of them get paid. They're voluntary workers & they're usually doing it for a good cause anyway.

There's no real harm in it.

I think Superquinn are spost to fill your bags for free anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Agreed - most of them don't even know how to pack a bag .

Would probably get as much money if they stood at the door with their buckets

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

I posted this here as I think it's Carlow relevant , I seem to experience this more and more on a regular basis when shopping at Tesco...

Just say no thanks!

But I don't want to , I don't want to be put into a position to tell an 11 year old girl "no thanks" I don't want you putting 5 kilos of potatoes on top of my sliced pan.
    There's no real harm in it.

But there is , not in the physical sense , but in the sense that it hinders my "shopping experience" I want to get my shopping , and get to the car and go home.

Friday at the shopping centre , I had the Irish Cancer Society shaking buckets at me going in the door , I had another charity try sign me up inside the door , , I had tesco trying to sell me a mobile phone contract inside the turnstiles , I had kids packing bags for a GAA team that I never heard of from somewhere I don't care about , on the way out I had the fire brigade trying to sell me donuts , then there was 2 girls on the way out of the car park that blocked my car shaking a bucket at me , wanting "money for cancer"... I just went in for a loaf of bread and a cooked chicken :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

i think you should consider on-line shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

godwin wrote: »
    I posted this here as I think it's Carlow relevant , I seem to experience this more and more on a regular basis when shopping at Tesco...

But I don't want to , I don't want to be put into a position to tell an 11 year old girl "no thanks" I don't want you putting 5 kilos of potatoes on top of my sliced pan.

But there is , not in the physical sense , but in the sense that it hinders my "shopping experience" I want to get my shopping , and get to the car and go home.

Friday at the shopping centre , I had the Irish Cancer Society shaking buckets at me going in the door , I had another charity try sign me up inside the door , , I had tesco trying to sell me a mobile phone contract inside the turnstiles , I had kids packing bags for a GAA team that I never heard of from somewhere I don't care about , on the way out I had the fire brigade trying to sell me donuts , then there was 2 girls on the way out of the car park that blocked my car shaking a bucket at me , wanting "money for cancer"... I just went in for a loaf of bread and a cooked chicken :(
    You should try Aldi or Lidl! No bag packers or collectors or any other sales people will get near you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Lidl and Aldi never have them! For this reason alone, they're number one as far as I'm concerned. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I actually emailed tesco about a year ago to complain about this very thing. Not for tesco Carlow though, it was a tesco in Dublin which experiences exactly the same thing. Some customer service rep from tesco rang me to talk about it and assured me that there are only bag packers once a month (lies, they are there EVERY week) and when they are there, there is always one till left packer free. Sometimes this is true and the queue is alwAys the longest and in my case with my luck the packer in the till beside me switches to my till once I get to the top if the queue, so annoying. So despite my complaint, nothing happened and I decided to shop at superquinn most weeks instead. If tesco wont listen I won't spend my money with them. Superquinn bag packers Are trained in bag packing techniques and are not looking for money. Much better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tesco are sort of Blackmailing people into shopping with them as most people will know some neighbours who's kid has been packing in their local tesco and most friends will go in to support them or their school or GAA club etc.

Tesco are telling you shop with us and support your local community, don't shop with us and you don't care about your childrens futures!

Advertisement