Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

• 28-04-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

New-York-Jets-Logo.gif

It's about time the Jets got a thread of their own. The Jets went 8-8 coming off the back of 2 consecutive AFC Championship games. We picked up Chaz Schilens, Tim Tebow and LaRon Landry in the offseason, and drafted the following players:

16: Quinton Coples DE
    43 (from Seattle): Stephen Hill WR
    77: Demario Davis LB

They now wait until the 6th round to pick again after trading for Tim Tebow and their move-up in the 2nd round.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Jets select safety Josh Bush from Wake Forest with the first of their 6th round picks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Free Agency has given us a starting safety in Landry but Coples at end is such a big risk. We did need a pass rush but was he the answer?

Well the Tebowmania will kick back in next week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

It really was a boom or bust Draft for ourselves this year.

We could potentially have had our best draft since the 06 Draft or it could turn out to be a stinker. I think the stories on Coples giving up in his final year in UNC are blown way out of proportion. He started the season slow but finished fairly strongly in his last few games.

Stephen Hill I would be a bit more skeptical over because he's very raw. To me the pick makes sense. We had Edwards and Plaxico over the past few seasons as that big blocking ability to stretch the field (not your Plax), red zone target but both were always going to be stop gaps so finally I hope we have our own.

Demario Davis has a bunch of analysts torn. Some said we reached up for him whilst others had him as a Top 5 Prospect at the LB position. I hope he can come in a play some downs here and there this season with a view to replacing Bart Scott in the next. He's also supposedly an excellent special teams player.

Snippets on others
    Gannaway will not be a 1000 yd rusher in the league for me but for someone who watched a bit of Baylor football last season our red zone rushing woes should hopefully be over with.

Whilst I really don't know much else about the other players I'm happy we have added depth at the Safety and O-Line position.
    If any 1 of Josh Bush, RG2, Antonio Allen or Jordan White over some production this season I will be fairly happy.

Summary - High Risk, High Reward draft for the Jets. The only way Tennebaum and Rex know how.

Now for the massive issue of the Darrelle Revis contract. I really hope this doesn't turn into a situation like two years ago.
    It's going to be a long summer in the off season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Having seen the draft pan out, in hindsight I would have loved for the Jets to move down anywhere in the 1st round, picking up extra picks and selecting Courtney Upshaw

UCD AFC wrote: »
    Having seen the draft pan out, in hindsight I would have loved for the Jets to move down anywhere in the 1st round, picking up extra picks and selecting Courtney Upshaw

They did try to by all accounts but were asking for too much for someone to move up.

NFL Network cut to their War Room and Tennenbaum was on the phone a long time. In the end that's why it took so long for us to dial our pick in.

Personally I thought we should of took Ingram, just because of his attitude and play hard personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

UCD AFC wrote: »

Superb pick for my Ravens. Delighted with it.

I was really happy with the Coples pick and he seems like a fantastic talent, I think Rex and Pettine can get the best out of him. The only thing i would be worried about is where the jets are going to play him in the 3-4 defence. As FreeOscar already stated reports about his final year of college ball were blown way out of proportion, and the problems he did encouter were mainly due to his postion being changed and a change in coachs

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Gents, could you kindly recommend some JETS twitter accounts worth following for a friend please?

Thanks for any replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

@ESPNNewYork and @espn_afceast are not strictly Jets accounts, but they are your best bets for Jets news.

@NMehta_NYDN is good for inside scoops. He writes for the New York Daily News, although his opinion pieces are dodgy (sent me a very angry private message when I laughed at his suggestion that Hakeem Nicks was average!) But he does get good news and coverage.

@JetsDraft then for generic draft stuff with a Jets slant on it.

Brian Costello @BrianCoz usually gets is info fairly quick and accurate
    Adam Schein @AdamSchein features all sports to do with NY
    Conor Orr @ConorTOrr anything to do with sports in NY too

• Advertisement

Jeff Otah failed his first physical, now has 7 days to pass one or the trade falls through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Gents, could you kindly recommend some JETS twitter accounts worth following for a friend please?

Thanks for any replies.
    @steiny31 - has some inside track to the front office, touts himself as a beat writer but has some stuff before its announced. Also pre draft had a massive depth chart done oout for all potentials. A must follow

Think that Otah move was low risk, high reward if it came off; Hunter was shocking last year and needs to be replaced; if Otah can get fit cool if not he can be sent back to CAR

Just been announced Otah has failed his physical and is heading back to the panthers.

Jets REALLY need someone other than Hunter here

• Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Unfortunately, upgrading on Hunter is easier said than done at this stage given the flexibility of the Front Office. Otah was a fine play, and I doubt there will be better options available at this stage tbh.

How do you see the Tebow/Sanchez situation going this season lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

I am ever optimistic and see Tebow being used as a nice complement to Mark, who to me needs to step it up this season. Let the running game work and cut down on throwing interceptions should be his goals. Sanchez was always pretty good in the redzone though, so hopefully we don't automatically call on Tebow if Sanchez is putting together a nice drive. A lot will depend on the performances of our O-Line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

Paully D wrote: »

I don't understand the trade at all, and I'm am not too optimistic about it. If Sanchez gets off to a slow start, things could get ugly pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Its weird, if the sub packages that the jets will run with Tebow work out it will help Sanchez in the offense. If the sub packages don't work and Sanchez doesn't perform ?

How do they bring him in, its different than Denver, last season they refused to use him at all and Kyle Orton was left to implode while people kept calling for Tebow. If Tebow struggles in the wild cat and other packages then I cant see Tebow getting more than 2 or 3 starts at the end of season if we have a terrible season.

Side note good article on gang green

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8192370/the-jets-had-tough-2011-was-anomaly-trend

Sounds promising for are defense this season.

I'm still worried about Landry working out at safety. He's only doing one or two practices a week with the team at the moment. Whether he will be able to get fully fit for the start of the season or make it a full a season is a doubt.

Anyone care to hazard a guess on what the Jets regular season record will be this season? From what I can see we have a few holes on the team, that still have not been fully addressed, e,g at the WR and DE positions, although I have not been following the off-season all that closely.

I still think we can win 8 to 10 games, but I would be suprised if the Patriots did not win the division...yet again!!

FishHook wrote: »
    Anyone care to hazard a guess on what the Jets regular season record will be this season? From what I can see we have a few holes on the team, that still have not been fully addressed, e,g at the WR and DE positions, although I have not been following the off-season all that closely.

I still think we can win 8 to 10 games, but I would be suprised if the Patriots did not win the division...yet again!!

I'd guess at 8-8 again for the Jets this season. Maybe 9-7.

• Advertisement

I'd guess at 8-8 again for the Jets this season. Maybe 9-7.

This is either all going to click or blow up dreadfully imo. Fighting in training camp, players taking shots at each other through the press, a media scrum because of Tebow being on board, Revis unhappy about his contractual situation (and **** him on this one imo).

The easiest game in the first 7 weeks will probably be Indy at home. I would suggest that by the Bye week we will either be 6 - 2 or 2 - 6.

There is talent on the roster (barring the QB situation), but the right side of the line and pass rushing are valid concerns.

If it blows up and it sees the end of Sanchez and Ryan there will be plenty of silver lining...

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Looks like the major concerns at safety from last season have not been addressed and the injury to smith increases the difficulties here. I feel that other teams will surely try to exploit this. This coupled with the concerns at offensive line makes me worry for the season ahead.

There seems to be so many injuries for the Jets tonight I'd nearly see keeping Sanchez off the field completely as a positive move as our weak o line is further weakened tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

gerire wrote: »
    There seems to be so many injuries for the Jets tonight I'd nearly see keeping Sanchez off the field completely as a positive move as our weak o line is further weakened tonight.

Whats injuries Jets facing. Giants down about 10 1st teamers/rotational players.

Holmes, Kerley, Smith, Steed, Sapp, Schilens, Po'uha are the main ones out for tonight, im fairly the sure the o-line is fit bar hunter maybe

Terrible result on Saturday :mad:!!!! I believe the O_line was rubbish again. Did any see the game? Where we as bad bad as the 26-3 scoreline suggests?

FishHook wrote: »
    Terrible result on Saturday :mad:!!!! I believe the O_line was rubbish again. Did any see the game? Where we as bad bad as the 26-3 scoreline suggests?

Yep we were atrocious on offense. Very good once again on defence.
    Right now we must have one of the worst all round past protection units in the league. I'm worried Ferguson hasnt recovered from his mediocre season last year. Horrible pick six by Sanchez, once again staring down his receivers.

Anyways I'm off to the Panthers game on Sunday night.
    Be wearing my Wayne Hunter jersey :pac:

FreeOSCAR wrote: »

Anyways I'm off to the Panthers game on Sunday night.
    Be wearing my Wayne Hunter jersey :pac:

Enjoy the game! Not sure if wearing a Wayne Hunter jersey is a good idea though :D!!

Going to be a very, very long season.

• Advertisement

As bad as last season was, i believe we were lucky to finish .500, this season thus far does not look great.

The draft was poor with little or no o line movement. Hunter has shown in the 1st 2 pre season games that he will struggle this year, he will not be cut as he was extended in Feb for 2.25 mil that would be too much $ to eat up; he may be put back into the tight end role again but I'd expect to see Howard there come week 1.

I worry about the initial reports that Tebow was brought in for the red-zone, that was one of Sanchez' strong points last year. He was in top 5 QB's in the league in the red-zone.

We have good QB in Sanchez, but he needs time, if the O-Line continues to resemble a turn-stile as it currently is neither Sanchez, tebow or the running backs will have time or space to create anything;

It will be interesting to see what Tanny and the front office do when the waivers come on stream next week;

Interesting stat. Over 500 players will see their last snaps this weekend before being released next week.

In summary: Thank fcuk we have such a good D

Advertisement