Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

in other news, all 6 draft picks have been signed

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/596821756809187328

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

If Brady does get suspended for the reported 6/8 games. The Bills, Fins & Ourselves have absolutely no excuses for at least not pushing the Patriots all the way for the division title. We will find out if this Garoppolo chap is a the real deal or not also during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

phatkev wrote: »
    I fully expected fines to be handed out to the Pats Organization but I didnt think there would be any suspensions handed out, but according to the NY Daily news(which I'd take this with a pinch of salt) Brady will be suspended.

heres some of Damien Woodys view (he also makes Tedy Bruschi sound like an idiot, which isnt that hard when I think about it)
    http://espn.go.com/boston/video/clip?id=12848278&ex_cid=espnapi_public

Bruschi is an idiot, but he speaks very well. My girlfriend sat watching tv with me one day and mentioned it. When I started to listen to him, I realised he doesn't stutter, there are no uhms or ahs and he speaks clearly.

Still an idiot, but I'll give him that!

Saw a great quote from supporters the other day. One said Deflategate is a load of rubbish and completely blown out of proportion, but there is a part of me loving this and look forward to a big ban to really blow the Pats supporters minds.

The other was comparing the Pats supporters to the Westboro Baptist Church

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

2 picks lost, Mr. Bundchen suspended 4 games: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12867594/punishments-handed-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-deflategate

Too lenient as far as picks goes imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Igotadose wrote: »
    2 picks lost, Mr. Bundchen suspended 4 games: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12867594/punishments-handed-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-deflategate

Too lenient as far as picks goes imho.

Ah I don't know about that, no precedent comes close. Funny though.

• Advertisement

Well, it's not the Patsies first rodeo as far as bad behaviour goes. I'd like to see 2 or 3 first rounders and a 6 week min for Brady and the coach (coach should always get some grief if he's not running a tight ship.)

But of course, I despise all things Patsy, being a lifer J E T S fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

What impact does it really have on the Jets other than giving the Bills an extra win they might not have got this year?
    They will go 2-2 which is not abnormal for the first QTR of the season.

We still have to play him twice.

Hopefully Garoppolo sucks during that time period. That will give me more happiness, knowing their heir is garbage.

whatever about Brady getting the ban, I do think its fairly harsh to take the picks of them when the report pretty much said that the organization/Belichick was cleared of any wrong doing. But I'll take it because fcuk the pats!

I'd rather Brady plays against us to be honest, so when we beat them pats fans cant whine about not having him on the field. also when he sees that D-line coming for him he'll wish he was suspended!

:D:D
    billboardweb13s-2-web.jpg

So the Pats are embroiled in deflate gate, Bradys suspended, Rex is focusing on signing every fullback in the league and now I hear Terry Bradway has been hired by the Dolphins!! I think this may go down as the greatest offseason ever

• Advertisement

As expected really, Fitz is a known quantity and no long term solution but will be a solid #2, Petty (if ever) wants at least a couple of years in a practise squad and may take over the #2 role from Fitz when he's ready. Geno still has that tiny chance of making it come good and if he doesn't this year then they'll be sure of it once and for all and may be in a position to sell the house for a proper one next year...

hots wrote: »
    As expected really, Fitz is a known quantity and no long term solution but will be a solid #2, Petty (if ever) wants at least a couple of years in a practise squad and may take over the #2 role from Fitz when he's ready. Geno still has that tiny chance of making it come good and if he doesn't this year then they'll be sure of it once and for all and may be in a position to sell the house for a proper one next year...

Yup I have to agree. No reason to doubt this coaching staff so far. Whether right or wrong, this is Smith's team. It is up to him to keep it. Fitz is the backup in case it doesn't work out. We know Fitz is a middle of the road QB, and when he plays well is solid. It's up to Smith to be better than that and to cut out the stupid sh*t that happens every time we think he looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

I find it hard to believe that people have no problem with Geno being named starter already. Am I the only one who watched the last two seasons. I know its very hard to find a franchise QB but a lot of importance is being placed on two meaningless end of season performances against a poor Miami team. Sure Geno will look good in drills, 7 on 7's etc but he cannot handle pressure during actual game. At least there should be a proper QB competition giving Fitzpatrick an open chance. I am no great fan of his either but if you look at quarterback rankings for last season you would have to think he could give the Jets a better chance to win. Having watched Geno from the second half of his final college season until now there has been absolutely no improvement. All the excuses have been used up and so its time to perform now. I am mystifyed as to why he has been anointed starting QB at this stage but if i am wrong I look forward to eating humble pie and will gladly welcome the I told you so's.

I find it hard to believe that people have no problem with Geno being named starter already. Am I the only one who watched the last two seasons. I know its very hard to find a franchise QB but a lot of importance is being placed on two meaningless end of season performances against a poor Miami team. Sure Geno will look good in drills, 7 on 7's etc but he cannot handle pressure during actual game. At least there should be a proper QB competition giving Fitzpatrick an open chance. I am no great fan of his either but if you look at quarterback rankings for last season you would have to think he could give the Jets a better chance to win. Having watched Geno from the second half of his final college season until now there has been absolutely no improvement. All the excuses have been used up and so its time to perform now. I am mystifyed as to why he has been anointed starting QB at this stage but if i am wrong I look forward to eating humble pie and will gladly welcome the I told you so's.

I'm not expecting miracles at all but what Geno has going for him is upside. If you commit to Fitz you know you'll have an ok QB but your not making any play for the future at all. If you play Geno for this season you either have an improved QB and we have a good year or you get rid of him without renewing the rookie deal.

Geno is the better long term decision.

Ive no problem with them going with Geno, give him the first team reps to get use to Gaileys offense. I've no doubt Geno is on an extremely short lease and I think if he bombs week 1 or 2 the management will have no problems replacing him. the only other viable starter is Fitzpatrick, he knows Gaileys system like the back of his hand so he doesn't extensive practice reps imo. He is also coming of a broken leg so theres no guarantee he'll be good to go week 1. this is low risk high reward. The reward: Gailey and Geno click and the offense takes off. The risk, Geno gets pulled after a couple games and Fitz comes in to manage the ship.

Ive no problem with them going with Geno, give him the first team reps to get use to Gaileys offense. I've no doubt Geno is on an extremely short lease and I think if he bombs week 1 or 2 the management will have no problems replacing him. the only other viable starter is Fitzpatrick, he knows Gaileys system like the back of his hand so he doesn't extensive practice reps imo. He is also coming of a broken leg so theres no guarantee he'll be good to go week 1. this is low risk high reward. The reward: Gailey and Geno click and the offense takes off. The risk, Geno gets pulled after a couple games and Fitz comes in to manage the ship.

Exactly. It works and it was a genius move. It doesn't work, you know Geno is done, Fitz will come in do a serviceable job and if he can play as well as he did before Buffalo gave him that ridiculous contract then we will be in good hands.

Geno has had QB competition in each of his 2 preseasons. Some might argue it is good to have competition, but on the other hand he hasn't been given a full preseason to work with an offense. It is his final chance. Show promise and the job is his. He bombs and it is game over for him

So Sheldon is missing the first 4 games of the season for smoking weed, I guess we know why he was missing from voluntary workouts! its so epically stupid of him,surely all players in the league knows the league's stance on illegal substances. At same time it is ridiculous that the league gives the same punishment for taking PEDs as smoking some reefers.

but I guess it solves the problem of what to do 3 first round DE's

So Sheldon is missing the first 4 games of the season for smoking weed, I guess we know why he was missing from voluntary workouts! its so epically stupid of him,surely all players in the league knows the league's stance on illegal substances. At same time it is ridiculous that the league gives the same punishment for taking PEDs as smoking some reefers.

but I guess it solves the problem of what to do 3 first round DE's

Ugh hadn't seen this.

What a f'ckin gobsh/te, so annoying. We're lucky we're stacked but not the ease into the team I was hoping for for Williams. The offense itself I don't have a problem with but for such a simple thing to abide by it's a complete lack of professionalism and focus. His response is the right one from the looks of it (or decent PR) but doesn't make up for it.

Interesting to listen to Schefter on Mike and Mike this morning. He claimed that the Jets knew this about Richardson. Supposedly towards the end of the season he was missing meetings and acting strange.

apparently its the 3rd or 4th time he's tested for weed and thats the reasoning behind the 4 game ban.

• Advertisement

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52332/espn-survey-jets-signal-caller-geno-smith-ranks-last-among-qbs

As most know I am not a Geno fan and this article doesnt do anything to bolster my confidence in him. I have a hard time putting his past woes down to the system as many seem to do especially when the knock on Mariota during the draft was that he is a system QB. I think the system we will have to play to accommodate Geno will have to be very simplistic going back to similar to Sanchez first season. I think the talent in the division has moved on since then and that type of gameplan wont succeed. I think the Jets will be lucky to go 8-8 but I am really hoping I am wrong and maybe someone here can convince me otherwise.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52332/espn-survey-jets-signal-caller-geno-smith-ranks-last-among-qbs

As most know I am not a Geno fan and this article doesnt do anything to bolster my confidence in him. I have a hard time putting his past woes down to the system as many seem to do especially when the knock on Mariota during the draft was that he is a system QB. I think the system we will have to play to accommodate Geno will have to be very simplistic going back to similar to Sanchez first season. I think the talent in the division has moved on since then and that type of gameplan wont succeed. I think the Jets will be lucky to go 8-8 but I am really hoping I am wrong and maybe someone here can convince me otherwise.

It is still pre-season so I will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    First off, insiders will have an opinion of him, but a number of things have changed this year. There is a new system in place, Gainley can work wonders with average QBs and he has options to throw to all over the field.

A fit again Decker, his new roommate Marshall and a deep threat in Smith, as well as Amaro and Kerley is a very strong set.
    He will also be throwing in practice against one of the best CB pairs in the league.

What I would like to ask though: Smith is ranked as one of the breakout players of the season on NFL, but ranked 32/32 on Insiders?

As bad as he has been, he is better than EJ Manuel and Josh McCown.

Here's hoping in 5 months time we can look back and ridicule that article

by no means do I think Geno is world beater and he deserves to be down the bottom half of that list, but so many people are overlooking the fact that this is the first time in his nfl career that he actually has a receiving core. Thats one of the main reasons I think he deserves a shot this season. As I see it Geno has the talent and physical abilities to be an nfl starter, its his decision making that could be his downfall, decision-making comes with experience, confidence, and comfort within a system, and is one of the easier things to fix over time in the NFL. Let's see if another season, a better system, and better weapons can improve his decision-making.

Smith should definitely be higher than McCown,I honestly don't know how McCown keeps getting second chances in the NFL he plays like a rookie and has been in the league since 2003.

Sheldon Richardson keeps on racking up the votes for fcuktard of the year award:mad:
    Police attempted to conduct a traffic stop, at which time the driver of a 2014 Bentley Silver Spur increased continued speeding to avoid citation. The driver got off the interstate, sped through a red traffic signal, and turned off its vehicle lights. The driver then turned into the driveway of a home in a nearby neighborhood to avoid detection, but police noticed the brake lights and pulled in behind the car. A fully loaded handgun was found beneath the driver’s seat. Everyone in the car also smelled of marijuana.

http://fox2now.com/2015/07/30/local-nfl-star-busted-for-street-racing-on-i-64/

Sheldon Richardson keeps on racking up the votes for fcuktard of the year award:mad:

http://fox2now.com/2015/07/30/local-nfl-star-busted-for-street-racing-on-i-64/

Clocked doing over 140mph.
    Tried to outrun the police.
    12 year old child in the car
    Car smelled of weed
    Loaded handgun under the seat.

Fcuktard is an understatement. The man could be in big trouble.

On a lighter note: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2535044-jets-fans-taunt-patriots-training-camp-with-cheaters-look-up-fly-over-banner

With regard to the NFL the 4 game ban was his second strike, so he's most likely looking a fairly lengthy Josh Gordon esque ban. With regards the law who knows what his punishment will be.

Silver lining is Mo is definitely going to get paid now. Nice to know Mac Daddy can see into the future, the Leonard Williams pick is looking even better now, hopefully he can live up to the hype.

Its been a rough week to be a Jets/Mets fan!

What a dick -_- Enter Williams to hopefully save the day. Mo will get paid quickly and generously now I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Herpes Cineplex

I'm a lifelong Jets fan and as a relatively new member to this site, it was great to stumble upon an American Footabll forum. But it was an even bigger bonus to find a Jets thread.:cool:

Looking at the season ahead, once again I think the QB postion will be an ongoing problem for us.

Training camp day 1: News breaks of Sheldons fúck ups!
    Training camp day 2: Rookie WR Devin Smith breaks his ribs and could be out for over a month. Not ideal for a rookie looking to learn a more complex route tree
    What shíte will day 3 have in store for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Got this email today:

ETS_eblast_2015_6b_regular.jpg

As I was going to be in the city that weekend clicked on the link and it's $150 for the tickets!

http://nycwff.org/mcjets?utm_source=dedicatedemail&utm_medium=NYJets&utm_campaign=generalpromotion&cm_mid=4874913&cm_crmid=eef6c573-58ba-4f7b-8764-e0a36d46832a&cm_medium=email

I think I'd be giving that a miss too!!

Give this one a watch, great passion and speaks very very well. Some positivity to offset the injuries and DL worries :)

Dee Milliner is out for another 6-8 weeks(wrist injury) having just returned to camp following achilles rehab. The guy can not stay fit. Antonio Allen is out for the year with an achilles injury

Unbelievable Geno out for 6-10 weeks after being sucker punched by Ik who was released immediately. Not good news no matter how little I trust Geno. Rumours are Jets looking to sign veteran insurance. Please God not Vick again. On a lighter note apparently Geno threw the first punch and was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. Also what if the Eagles release Sanchez or Tebow anyone up for a reunion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Fitzpatrick will get the start. Petty is struggling in camp. This late in the game it makes sense to bring Vick in as a backup to Fitzpatrick. Didn't the Eagles sign Sanchez to a two-year $9 million deal? I've heard good things this year about Tebow and how he's improved.

• Advertisement

Rex Grosman lads, get ready for that winning feeling:(

Tebow

Just no

Looking forward to 2016 season when the Jets go after PSU QB Christian Hackenberg now that they've got most of the rest of their positions in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

This is absolutely ridiculous, it wouldn't happen (would it?) but can you imagine if this happened in say Atlanta with Matt Ryan or say Drew Brees? This thing is partially about respect or lack there of. I don't want Vick anywhere near this team. Lets give Brady Quinn the absolute veteran minimum with no guarantees until Geno can return.

phatkev wrote:
    Just no

Only joking not going to debate Tebow again on here. Definitely don't want Vick and not a fan of Grossman. Not many options out there until other teams maybe make a few cuts. Matt Flynn available maybe best of a bad lot.

• Advertisement

Any chance of getting Jon Kitna out of the class room or whatever he's at? Just when you think there might be some signs of optimism (excluding Sheldon being a dope) then this happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

franglan wrote: »
    This is absolutely ridiculous, it wouldn't happen (would it?) but can you imagine if this happened in say Atlanta with Matt Ryan or say Drew Brees? This thing is partially about respect or lack there of. I don't want Vick anywhere near this team. Lets give Brady Quinn the absolute veteran minimum with no guarantees until Geno can return.

Quinn hasn't played a snap since 2012 and didn't make any roster in 2014. Wouldn't have him for free.

Any chance the Titans might be willing to deal Zach Mettenberger?

How about Jake Locker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

This is a worrying development and gives fuel to the idea that the Jets are a joke. A huge culture problem is evident there. The organisation has to be run professionally from the top down. Hopefully this is a turning point for all.

Mangold, who has to be the longest serving player, said he had seen shoving matches, screaming matches but never a punch thrown before in the locker room.

ESPN reporting that Fitzpatrick is ready to take it to the next level. Jesus I hate that saying.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-geno-broken-jaw-debacle-shows-old-jets-article-1.2322131

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    This is a worrying development and gives fuel to the idea that the Jets are a joke.

I have to disagree. So far in preseason (on the pitch) there have been fights in Indy, Carolina, and Texans/Redskins.

This is a case of a guy with a violent past going overboard and throwing a punch.
    I think, more than anything, it shows the difference from where we were to where we are now.
    There has been no grumblings of unnamed sources in the NY Post, no fighting on the pitch and the back office dealt with this situation perfectly.

EDIT: Forgot all about Richardson...... Like my brain doesn't wanna process so much sh*t

By the time the news broke, Enemkpali had already been released, and on top of that there was a statement given by the player saying sorry.

While the media and supporters will complain in public, the Jets have already named Fitz starter and inquired about bringing in another veteran.

It is the sh*ttiest situation possible. Geno had been playing well, chemistry with Marshall looked great and he this was his chance to shine.

Now we have lost our starting QB, but the one highlight, in my opinion, is how the organisation have handle it

Un. Be. Lievable.

But, "Same Old Jets." Optimism all gone. Hopefully they're not pathetic yet again.

I've been watching this team since my sister's friends took me to see OJ for the Bills play Namath for the Jets at Shea. I think 1968.

The last 30 years.... torment. And the last 5... laughingstocks. And another to come I fear.

I might switch to following Hurling.

Sigh, not good. Looking at the positives (grasping), at least Fitz should be serviceable. At least we seem to have responded in the right way, as anyways bowles came off well in the interview. Maybe this might endear geno to the fans a bit more?

For those wanting a pure qb competition this off season they may have accidentally got it.

Don't think they'll be a QB competition, Petty isin't ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Amerika wrote: »
    Any chance the Titans might be willing to deal Zach Mettenberger?

How about Jake Locker?

Well Locker is retired so doubt he'll step back in and can't see Titans dealing Mettenberger.

Rex Grossman sounds about right just for cover, I think Fitzpatrick will start week one and then depends on how he does to whether or not Petty gets his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Well Locker is retired so doubt he'll step back in and can't see Titans dealing Mettenberger.

Rex Grossman sounds about right just for cover, I think Fitzpatrick will start week one and then depends on how he does to whether or not Petty gets his chance.

Why are they talking to Grossman? He hasn't played since 2011!! Another name doing the rounds is Jason Campbell, not great but at least he has been playing in some form in recent seasons. There are no good options unfortunately unless the Jets unearth the new Kurt Warner!

• Advertisement
Advertisement