Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Good for Mangold... Always liked him.  The Jets only signed Spencer Long to what is effectively a 1-year deal. They still need an edge rusher and left tackle.  I wonder if the center out of Ohio State, Billy Price, will be available to them on day two of the draft?  He’ll miss 4 months because of surgery but he could end up being a great long-term pick.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Schedule out for the season, have to say I'm feeling more optimistic than most, big games up front and timing isn't great but there's potential to get off to a flyer.

The Jets are hot on Baker Mayfield, but now I've been reading reports the Bills or Dolphins might trade up to the number #2 spot to get him before the Jets.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

notobtuse wrote: »
    The Jets are hot on Baker Mayfield, but now I've been reading reports the Bills or Dolphins might trade up to the number #2 spot to get him before the Jets.

No one has a clue who the Jets are hot on, the media said it was definitely going to be Josh Allen, then there was a solid two weeks of Rosen being the only they were interested in and the last couple of weeks its turned into Mayfield is 100% the pick and I guarantee theres still time for the media to come out with 'Darnold a lock to go to the Jets headlines. Its all horsesh1t, the sooner the draft comes around the better!

I dont think the Giants trade out of 2, but if they do either of them teams would have to give up the whole farm to move up!

phatkev wrote: »

No one has a clue who the Jets are hot on, the media said it was definitely going to be Josh Allen, then there was a solid two weeks of Rosen being the only they were interested in and the last couple of weeks its turned into Mayfield is 100% the pick and I guarantee theres still time for the media to come out with 'Darnold a lock to go to the Jets headlines. Its all horsesh1t, the sooner the draft comes around the better!

I dont think the Giants trade out of 2, but if they do either of them teams would have to give up the whole farm to move up!
    The Jets traded to the number 3 spot for a reason.  IMO it was because they thought Mayfield would be available to them at that spot.  Darnold and Allen might have gone 1 & 2.  Three is where they wanted to be to get Mayfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A lot of sharps saying Josh Allen is the QB to avoid. That usually means the Jets will draft him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

I'd take Rosen or Mayfield in that order. As long as we don't take Allen I'm alright with that. The guy has a massive arm but isint accurate énough to be a franchise QB long term in the league. He misses on throws wildly at times.

It's being a vicious cycle of shouting NO repeatable at the tv with jets drafts particularly with Geno and Hack of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Had some fun with this today: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/rank-biggest-busts-new-york-jets-history-article-1.3952406

My #1 was Blair Thomas, #2 Kyle Brady. That didn't match the overall consensus but my #3, Christian Hackenberg, did. Not sure why all the hate for Vernon Gholston, Thomas by far was the worst draft pick ever (at least, on that list).

image.jpeg

Your newest Jet! I would have preferred Rosen/Mayfield, but still happy with Darnold. The front office have to be delighted with the way the trade worked out though

• Advertisement

image.jpeg

Your newest Jet! I would have preferred Rosen/Mayfield, but still happy with Darnold. The front office have to be delighted with the way the trade worked out though

Great result, assumed he would be #1 definitely. 3 years in a row of swiping a top rated pick. Very surprised Rosen fell, just injury concern?

hots wrote: »
    Very surprised Rosen fell, just injury concern?

Yeah it must be, because to me he was the most polished qb coming into the draft. I'm happy he didn't end up in the AFC East!

I’m happy with the Jets pick of Sam Darnold, but my only fear at this point is a possible repeat of Mark Sanchez.  Sanchez’s undoing was his failure to protect the ball and turnovers.  That is the concern also of Darnold.  I think the Jets first choice would have been Baker Mayfield, for the same reason, with Darnold second if available to them.  After Mayfield was picked at #1 I don’t think the Jets had much to worry about someone moving into the #2 spot to grab Darnold.  The Giants look to be committed to Eli Manning for a couple more years and probably thought the aging QB just needed some help in the backfield.  So the Giants looked to be hot on Saquon Barkley, who will improve the team on day one.  The Giants were not going to let Barkley slip to the #4 spot for the Browns to take.  The only possible trade option would have been if some other team traded with the Browns for the #4 spot and then turned around and traded up to the #2 spot to get Darnold with the Giants going #4 to get Barkey.  That’s a lot to accomplish in 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I’m happy with the Jets pick of Sam Darnold, but my only fear at this point is a possible repeat of Mark Sanchez.  Sanchez’s undoing was his failure to protect the ball and turnovers.  That is the concern also of Darnold.  I think the Jets first choice would have been Baker Mayfield, for the same reason, with Darnold second if available to them.  After Mayfield was picked at #1 I don’t think the Jets had much to worry about someone moving into the #2 spot to grab Darnold.  The Giants look to be committed to Eli Manning for a couple more years and probably thought the aging QB just needed some help in the backfield.  So the Giants looked to be hot on Saquon Barkley, who will improve the team on day one.  The Giants were not going to let Barkley slip to the #4 spot for the Browns to take.  The only possible trade option would have been if some other team traded with the Browns for the #4 spot and then turned around and traded up to the #2 spot to get Darnold with the Giants going #4 to get Barkey.  That’s a lot to accomplish in 10 minutes.

The Broncos looked to trade up with the Giants to get Darnold - the Giants stuck at 1.2 because they were worried the Browns would take Barkley at 1.4 (which they probably would have).

Jets go with DT Nathan Shepherd in third. Hadnt heard a whole lot about him but a good few draft guys had him as a second round pick. He'll be 27 in September though which I dont like, especially if he needs to redshirt his first year

EDIT: Scratch that he'll be 25 which is still old but not nearly as bad!

Jets go with DT Nathan Shepherd in third. Hadnt heard a whole lot about him but a good few draft guys had him as a second round pick. He'll be 27 in September though which I dont like, especially if he needs to redshirt his first year

EDIT: Scratch that he'll be 25 which is still old but not nearly as bad!

He's a big fella! Great highlight reels mauling people.

• Advertisement

He's a big fella! Great highlight reels mauling people.

yeah his highlights are fairly impressive, but I'd worry how much of that was down to him just being way more powerful than his division 2 counterparts and how much was down to technique? I dont think raw power would be enough for him to get the best of NFL caliber linemen.

Interesting that they went for two division two players, the other being Trenton Cannon (his highlight reel is madden like!!) who could get a run at punt/kick returner.

Finally, a lot of draft heads are praising the Nickerson pick, it would be great to have found Skrines replacement with a 6th round pick!

yeah his highlights are fairly impressive, but I'd worry how much of that was down to him just being way more powerful than his division 2 counterparts and how much was down to technique? I dont think raw power would be enough for him to get the best of NFL caliber linemen.

Interesting that they went for two division two players, the other being Trenton Cannon (his highlight reel is madden like!!) who could get a run at punt/kick returner.

Finally, a lot of draft heads are praising the Nickerson pick, it would be great to have found Skrines replacement with a 6th round pick!

Yup lots of raw picks for sure, Nickerson as joint quickest player in the draft right?

Right now in the QB position you have Sam Darnold, Josh McCown, Teddy Bridgewater, Christian Hackenberg, and Bryce Petty.  I think Petty is sure to be gone.  They’ll most probably need to cut one more QB. Hackenberg is the obvious choice, but Bridgewater’s knee and essentially not playing for two years has to be of major concern.  I think the Jets might hold onto Hackenberg into training camp to see if he shows some value and improvement, and if he does, trade Bridgewater to a QB needy team if he’s healthy.

Offensive guard positions are still a big question.

Right now in the QB position you have Sam Darnold, Josh McCown, Teddy Bridgewater, Christian Hackenberg, and Bryce Petty.  I think Petty is sure to be gone.  They’ll most probably need to cut one more QB. Hackenberg is the obvious choice, but Bridgewater’s knee and essentially not playing for two years has to be of major concern.  I think the Jets might hold onto Hackenberg into training camp to see if he shows some value and improvement, and if he does, trade Bridgewater to a QB needy team if he’s healthy.

I read lately that Bridgewater will more than likely not be ready to go for the start of the season, so I could see him been a possibly cut(dont think they waste much cap doing so). As you said I think Petty is as good as gone, might hold on to him through camp/preseason to see if they if they can trade him for anything. I dont think Macc is ready to accept his mistake in drafting Hackenberg, so I think he gets another year on the roster :rolleyes:
    Offensive guard positions are still a big question.

Its not only at guard, the whole line is an issue!

Hackenberg hired a new personal instructor to train with this offseason in Jeff Christensen. Christensen also works with Jimmy Garoppolo and Kirk Cousins, so he has a track record of success.  With two seasons behind him and no regular season playing time Hackenberg knows he’ll need to show significant improvement if he’s any hope of saving his spot on the Jets, or he brought in Christensen knowing he’ll probably need to audition for a new team.

• Advertisement

I think Petty is sure to be gone.  

word on social media saying Petty has been cut. Good guy, sh1te QB unfortunately

word on social media saying Petty has been cut. Good guy, sh1te QB unfortunately

Yeah got the notification for that too, shame we couldn't snag a late pick for him all the same, could still see him making backup somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

Got tickets for week 15 v the Texans in MetLife. 3rd Jets game for me and can't wait for the season to start now!

Jet traded Hackenberg to the Raiders in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick next year. This came about several hours after Hackenberg made critical comments about the coaching staff to the press.

Jet traded Hackenberg to the Raiders in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick next year. This came about several hours after Hackenberg made critical comments about the coaching staff to the press.

Surprised they managed to even get a 7th for him! From a 2nd rounder to a 7th in 2 years, definitely one of Maccs worst moves as gm

In a way I could see the Jets taking a chance on Hackenberg… but he should have gone in later rounds of that draft… definitely not the 2nd round.  I’m a Penn State fan.  Hackenberg’s freshman year with PSU was superb and he was then touted as a top future draft pick at the time.  He played under Bill O’Brien that year.  His last two years James Franklin changed the offensive scheme and Hackenberg didn’t fare so well.  So… was it Hackenberg or the change in coaching staff at PSU that was responsible for his decline?  IMO, it was worth a risk to find out in perhaps the 4th or 5th rounds, but not the 2nd.

Now let's hope Bridgewater's is healthy enough to play.  Otherwise, who would the Jets go to as number 2 QB if they need to?

In a way I could see the Jets taking a chance on Hackenberg… but he should have gone in later rounds of that draft… definitely not the 2nd round.  I’m a Penn State fan.  Hackenberg’s freshman year with PSU was superb and he was then touted as a top future draft pick at the time.  He played under Bill O’Brien that year.  His last two years James Franklin changed the offensive scheme and Hackenberg didn’t fare so well.  So… was it Hackenberg or the change in coaching staff at PSU that was responsible for his decline?  IMO, it was worth a risk to find out in perhaps the 4th or 5th rounds, but not the 2nd.

Now let's hope Bridgewater's is healthy enough to play.  Otherwise, who would the Jets go to as number 2 QB if they need to?

If Bridgewater isn't fit, I assume it will be McCown and Darnold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Hackenberg was traded to the Radiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

I was baffled at the pick originally as the majority of analysts had him beyond the second round. It didn't work out, it didn't work out so badly that he never took the field which is damning - that's football sometimes. Look at Conor Cook too who the raiders drafted, showed promise in College with talk he could have been a first round pick. Has been forgotten about in the NFL.

The Hackenburg pick is merely the latest incident in a long legacy of incompetence by the franchise. Decades of doing stupid stupid things. He was an absolutely terrible NFL prospect and the rumours of his performance as a Jet are stunning. Dreadful stuff.

• Advertisement

Bridgewater looked pretty good in the OTA session.  Which means the Jets will probably trade him away right around preseason and bring in Kaepernick.  :getlost:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The Orlando Sentinel had an article about Tebow, broke his hand in a game for the double-A Mets affiliate, gone for the season and maybe this'll be it as he's in his early 30's and won't make the major leagues this year, it's getting pretty late. He was having an 'all-star' minor league season, but he's really not a great baseball player.

The writer pointed out that as an NFL starter, Tebow's career record was 8-4 with a playoff win for Denver, and never could land another starting gig. I personally saw him run the wildcat the year he played for the Jets. Not sure what all the hate was for this guy, so many bad QB's out there, you'd have thought he might've gotten a better shot. Understanding who gets to play QB in the NFL is impossible, so much politicking, seems super corrupt in a lot of ways.

Not sure where I got to the Tebow link, but I can't access the Orlando Sentinel directly from Ireland right now. Yet another 'we can't do the GDPR' US website. Google tebow orlando sentinel, and good luck.

Igotadose wrote: »
    The Orlando Sentinel had an article about Tebow, broke his hand in a game for the double-A Mets affiliate, gone for the season and maybe this'll be it as he's in his early 30's and won't make the major leagues this year, it's getting pretty late. He was having an 'all-star' minor league season, but he's really not a great baseball player.

The writer pointed out that as an NFL starter, Tebow's career record was 8-4 with a playoff win for Denver, and never could land another starting gig. I personally saw him run the wildcat the year he played for the Jets. Not sure what all the hate was for this guy, so many bad QB's out there, you'd have thought he might've gotten a better shot. Understanding who gets to play QB in the NFL is impossible, so much politicking, seems super corrupt in a lot of ways.

Not sure where I got to the Tebow link, but I can't access the Orlando Sentinel directly from Ireland right now. Yet another 'we can't do the GDPR' US website. Google tebow orlando sentinel, and good luck.

Tebow was 8 - 4 with a playoff win but from a metrics perspective during that run he was terrible.

Tebow was offered opportunities to keep playing as a football player, but not as a QB. Having him on the field as a H back type utility option made sense. But he wanted to be under centre and - in that context - having him on a roster with all his associated media attention wasn't worth it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9640640/tim-tebow-refused-change-positions-report

If you're interested in this topic, it's covered pretty conclusively here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056581435

First day of camp today and still no sign of Darnold signing. I know its a bit early for panic station to be setting in, but it a bit annoying that they cant agree on the offset language of the contract of the QB you traded up to get and hope to be your franchise QB

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

First day of camp today and still no sign of Darnold signing. I know its a bit early for panic station to be setting in, but it a bit annoying that they cant agree on the offset language of the contract of the QB you traded up to get and hope to be your franchise QB

Surely annoying and seems like his agent is trying to squeeze the Jets. At the moment the NY media and social media are all blaming Darnold. Not a great start at all for him.

Surely annoying and seems like his agent is trying to squeeze the Jets. At the moment the NY media and social media are all blaming Darnold. Not a great start at all for him.

the agent has had a history of these kinds of situations. Its stupid from the Jets to delay it, i mean he gets the same amount of money regardless, its just the way in which he receives it that seems to be the stumbling block

Darnold has signed

Anybody watch the game last night? Looked pretty average on both sides of the ball. biggest worry is the o-line, they were constantly beat last night, I really hope Beachum and Winters injuries aren't that bad and can be ready to go week 1, or else whoever is playing QB will have a horrid time!

There was distinct lack of pressure on the opposing QB too, I imagine Macc is keeping a close eye on the Mack situation in Oakland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

Only watched the 5 minute highlights on NFL app, O-Line seems to be the problem.

Who's the starter for week 1 is the big question tho.

I've always liked Teddy and he would be my choice.

• Advertisement

L.S.F wrote: »
    Only watched the 5 minute highlights on NFL app, O-Line seems to be the problem.

I still think he gets traded out, someone will get desperate for him.

Yeah I think he'll be gone by the time the trade deadline comes around. And there's no better time than the present to start Sam

Three way battle for QB.  Darnold and McCown are there to stay.  Bridgewater looks good and should have the chance for more playing time with another team.  Jets will probably showcase him more in the final preseason games in hopes of getting a good draft pick for a trade.  He would help the Bills, Dolphins and Patriots, but I doubt the Jets would trade him to divisional opponents.  The Bengals seems to make the most sense, then maybe the Jaguars.  And the Giants, Chargers and Saints all have aging QB’s where adding Bridgewater would be beneficial.

Three way battle for QB.  Darnold and McCown are there to stay.  Bridgewater looks good and should have the chance for more playing time with another team.  Jets will probably showcase him more in the final preseason games in hopes of getting a good draft pick for a trade.  He would help the Bills, Dolphins and Patriots, but I doubt the Jets would trade him to divisional opponents.  The Bengals seems to make the most sense, then maybe the Jaguars.  And the Giants, Chargers and Saints all have aging QB’s where adding Bridgewater would be beneficial.

I think Tampa could make a play for him aswell, WInston get help but get in trouble and he's definitely better than fitz.

The ideal situation for me would be to package him and a couple of high draft picks to Oakland for Mack #pipedreams

Bills now without AJ McCarron could be a bit more keen, I'm very curious to see what we would be offered though... Colts rejected a 2nd round offer for Jacoby Brissett, even with a couple more years youthfulness and an extra year contract Teddy is in the same area?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-colts-declined-2nd-round-pick-in-trade-offer-for-jacoby-brissett/ar-BBM7GJn

Bills now without AJ McCarron could be a bit more keen, I'm very curious to see what we would be offered though... Colts rejected a 2nd round offer for Jacoby Brissett, even with a couple more years youthfulness and an extra year contract Teddy is in the same area?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-colts-declined-2nd-round-pick-in-trade-offer-for-jacoby-brissett/ar-BBM7GJn

I think the Bills will role with Allen and Peterman.

I don't think they'll get a 2nd for him, at the end of the day he hasn't played a full regular season game in 2 years. I think FA shown how much faith teams have in him, as far as I'm aware the Jets were the only team that went after him.
    I think a 4th would be more realistic or maybe a 3rd if some team got really desperate

• Advertisement

L.S.F wrote: »

Josh is the starter, was always going to be the starter. It's not a big question at all.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Josh is the starter, was always going to be the starter. It's not a big question at all.

Darnold wouldn't surprise me at all, taking nearly all of the first team reps now. I think it's fairly wide open.

I think the Bills will role with Allen and Peterman.

I don't think they'll get a 2nd for him, at the end of the day he hasn't played a full regular season game in 2 years. I think FA shown how much faith teams have in him, as far as I'm aware the Jets were the only team that went after him.
    I think a 4th would be more realistic or maybe a 3rd if some team got really desperate

I don't understand compensation picks fully but depending on how much he earns the following year we could be awarded up to a third for him? If that's the case better to hold onto him and let him walk at the end of the year potentially?

I don't understand compensation picks fully but depending on how much he earns the following year we could be awarded up to a third for him? If that's the case better to hold onto him and let him walk at the end of the year potentially?

If they spend even half the money they have on FA or renewing contracts I doubt they'll have any comp picks for the next couple of years

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in to the McCown basket, he's only played one series so far this off season. The 3rd preseason game is usually a good indicator of who the starter is going to be, so it'll be interested to see who gets what snaps.
    I don't get not starting Darnold after they've invested so much in him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement