Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good effort overall, maybe Hopkins should have been handled differently but he took his two scores incredibly well. Anderson was good all game but that last ball needed to be caught to extend on 4th down when trailing 26 - 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Good performance and but for being unable to cover Hopkins the Jets probably would win. Sam played well and avoided too many bad decisions. He did well on the move and the amount of times he was out of the pocket shows how overmatched the OL is. There is a lot of ifs surrounding the future of this team but you would have to think that with a bit more talent around Darnold the Jets could be competitive on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Imagine what Darnold could do with some half decent football coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭midfield dynamo

phatkev wrote: »
    Imagine what Darnold could do with some half decent football coaches

The Jet Press on Twitter asked what us fans would like for Christmas. By the time I finalised the list of needs, I looked like a greedy b@$yard!

17 penalties for 172 yards for the Jets today, most of them on the defence! Hard to win a game with numbers like that

17 penalties for 172 yards for the Jets today, most of them on the defence! Hard to win a game with numbers like that

You would have to admit there were some terrible calls. And then Bowles missed an opportunity in his press conference to go off on an epic rant about it!!! It would have been a perfect cap on the Jets season to see him finally show some passion all be it too late.
    It some ways it was the perfect result with Darnold excelling but not hurting the draft position. Also good performances from Herndon and Anderson have to be encouraging.
    Interesting the Jets are already being linked to Jim Harbaugh with reports saying he wants full control over player personnel and the draft.

You would have to admit there were some terrible calls. And then Bowles missed an opportunity in his press conference to go off on an epic rant about it!!! It would have been a perfect cap on the Jets season to see him finally show some passion all be it too late.
    It some ways it was the perfect result with Darnold excelling but not hurting the draft position. Also good performances from Herndon and Anderson have to be encouraging.
    Interesting the Jets are already being linked to Jim Harbaugh with reports saying he wants full control over player personnel and the draft.

There was one or two that were bad, I felt the Adams one and the two point conversion were harsh but other than that I dont think they can have many complaints and both those penalties only added a couple of yards to the the total.

I agree with it being a good result. Young guys showed promise, Darnold and Anderson continue to connect and if Darnold can go in to next season playing like he's finished this one I think the Jets will be doing ok. Looks like a top 4 pick is guaranteed now, hopefully they can do a number on the Patriots next weekend.

Enunwa signed up for another 4 years, happy out with that bit of business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Another failed season limps to a close with a rout in Foxboro. Didn't even bother to look into the game, apparently Trumaine Johnson didn't play.

Todd Bowles fired Sunday night. Goodbye, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Much discussion on who'll succeed him. One article I read was, "The last "offensive-minded" head coach the jets had, was Richie Kotite." Now isn't *that* frightening.

• Advertisement

Bowles gone but Mac stays. I think it's probably a missed chance to clean house completely as I would be worried how Mac would spend all that free agent money. There is a significant number of holes on the roster and very little depth. With up to 22 current players out of contract the money will have to be spread thinner than expected. You would really have to worry about talent evaluation when you see the performance of Deontay Burnett yesterday. Sam was crying out for weapons all year and yet Burnett was inactive until yesterday and then has 5 catches for over 50 yds. It seems like the coaching staff had started to dial it in from halfway through the season. Anyway on to the offseason where we will have coaching speculation and then the draft to look forward to. Also saw speculation on twitter that the Jets may be Jacksonvilles opponents in London next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Only getting to this now!

Jets v Texans December 15:

Value here as our 2 tickets cost $29 total and with the game saturday afternoon it still gave us time to make the fight later in the Garden!

We arrived to find the crowd in a merry condition for the most part on what was a mild day as we made our way to better seats behind the goal! First half highlight was Darnold to Anderson for a TD in the second quarter:

D0-BD678-B-AE60-467-B-B352-306638-F1-AF41.jpg

Following another Darnold pass in the third quarter the Jets were right back in it but unfortuantely normally reliable Myers missed the two conversions. This is mind blowing to me to miss these are as good as free points. How can you miss at this level??? Anyway the game highlight was to come with McGuire getting in for a TD few would normally see with seemingly the whole squad shoving him over the line which sparked mass celebrations! However a Texans TD with over 2 minutes left put a huge dampener on proceedings but yet I still felt this was winnable. But unfortunately JJ Watt wasnt allowing a comeback sacking Darnold for what was a big loss.

No doubting the Jets had this game and were in control but good teams do not let leads like this go. In what was yet another very disappointing loss highlights were Darnold being definitely the franchise QB that has been long wanted. Given his age his poise is fantastic as he is mobile and accurate under pressure. His pass to Anderson was quality. If he can manage the production and numbers of Watson in his second season we can look forward further to better times.

Despite being sacked six times Watson has to be one of the best out there. His numbers in only his second season are phenomenal and they can outperform the Colts tomorrow.

Interested to know who everyone likes in the Jets coaching search. No obvious standout for me but I think Kliff Kingsbury would be an exciting hire. Not sure how good he will be but he definitely has a high ceiling. He will need to use the run game more in the nfl than he does in college. A lot of Jets commentators are very against Mike McCarthy as they think he has failed to adapt or be flexible in the modern nfl. It is hard to argue with a super bowl winning coach but when you realise he only won one with Aaron Rogers then you start to question him.

Got that Texans prediction wrong!

Anyway back up for the "holidays" gave me an opportunity to see the fixture I was looking forward to since the fixtures came out:

Jets v Packers December 23:

No surprise that these tickets were more expensive with the cheapest at $52 but worth every cent for what was a wild game and my first overtime extravaganza!

Got to Penn Station just after 12 to find that because of track work the next train wasn't until 1.10 so missed the first hour of the game! Arriving with the Jets up 21-7 gave hope that this last home game could be fruitful. However the Packers, cheered on by a huge following, got in for a TD and a field goal to make it 21-17 at half time.

Third quarter Darnold came into his own with 2 TDs and Jets 15 points ahead at end of third. But Rodgers dominated in the fourth running in himself twice and inevitably throwing the winning TD.

Second game running Jets blew it and the amount of penalties conceded actually set a franchise record so Bowles had to go. Based on his record he cannot complain or blame officiating. Facts are this season was 4-12 which is his worst record and obviously with no improvements. So moving on with a franchise QB and a new head coach next season has to be better.

But a privilege to be there to see these 2 quality QBs in action.

2-CF30519-1-A97-409-E-B5-A7-27-F41-A3-EA255.jpg

AF870578-AD1-F-487-E-B385-8-DCB8806-E104.jpg

BFF60731-DBEB-4-F67-ACD0-B5-E261-C9-DE2-D.jpg

Interested to know who everyone likes in the Jets coaching search. No obvious standout for me but I think Kliff Kingsbury would be an exciting hire. Not sure how good he will be but he definitely has a high ceiling. He will need to use the run game more in the nfl than he does in college. A lot of Jets commentators are very against Mike McCarthy as they think he has failed to adapt or be flexible in the modern nfl. It is hard to argue with a super bowl winning coach but when you realise he only won one with Aaron Rogers then you start to question him.

I dont have enough knowledge to be saying which coach would be the best hire. I think alot of fans want to go with one of the younger offensive minded coaches and hope they're the next Shanahan/McVay which would be a lot easier said than done.
    I wouldnt be impressed with McCarthy, as you said he seems very set in his ways and you'd be hoping he would have had some more success with one of the best QBs around! I'd also be very wary of the coordinators he'd be bringing in with him, I've no interest in seeing Mcadoo/Philbin or Pettine/Capers coming to New York

• Advertisement

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    But a privilege to be there to see these 2 quality QBs in action.

How did Darnold look? One sees more in person than on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Only getting to this now!

Jets v Texans December 15:

Value here as our 2 tickets cost $29 total and with the game saturday afternoon it still gave us time to make the fight later in the Garden!

We arrived to find the crowd in a merry condition for the most part on what was a mild day as we made our way to better seats behind the goal! First half highlight was Darnold to Anderson for a TD in the second quarter:

D0-BD678-B-AE60-467-B-B352-306638-F1-AF41.jpg

Following another Darnold pass in the third quarter the Jets were right back in it but unfortuantely normally reliable Myers missed the two conversions. This is mind blowing to me to miss these are as good as free points. How can you miss at this level??? Anyway the game highlight was to come with McGuire getting in for a TD few would normally see with seemingly the whole squad shoving him over the line which sparked mass celebrations! However a Texans TD with over 2 minutes left put a huge dampener on proceedings but yet I still felt this was winnable. But unfortunately JJ Watt wasnt allowing a comeback sacking Darnold for what was a big loss.

No doubting the Jets had this game and were in control but good teams do not let leads like this go. In what was yet another very disappointing loss highlights were Darnold being definitely the franchise QB that has been long wanted. Given his age his poise is fantastic as he is mobile and accurate under pressure. His pass to Anderson was quality. If he can manage the production and numbers of Watson in his second season we can look forward further to better times.

Despite being sacked six times Watson has to be one of the best out there. His numbers in only his second season are phenomenal and they can outperform the Colts tomorrow.

Was just above ya! Section 201A I think it was (under big screen, 5 rows from front of tier). Tickets were ~$70 but got them in the summer. Enjoyed the game despite the loss. Only took one in game photo:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FeM8Eo2LuOtsieuo1IfiditVJxAQJXpa/view (can't seem to get the .jpg link from google drive??)

Didn't make it back in time for fight tho (Katies bout anyway), spent a while queuing for the bus back to Port Authority and then straight for food but boxing wasn't on any TV.

Lesson learned from last year; bring your passport if you want beer! Driving licence didn't cut it at MetLife. Managed to get three pints all together.

Lessons learned this time: Even with passport you have to fill out a form, which they ask for your passport number, expiry etc. and then you can only purchase beer from that stall alone anytime you want one. Have to fill it out again if you want a different type of beer. Where they came up with this rule for non-US people I do not know!? I didn't fill in correct details on form and my friend questioned what was done with them and was told they would be shredded.

Also they stop selling beer just after half time??!!! WTF?!

Anyway, the day didn't evolve around pints but crazy the hoops you have to jump through to get a pint! :D

Waiting for the schedule to come out to plan another trip over, looking like late September/early October at this stage and keeping fingers crossed we get the Jags in London!

Jets hire Adam Gase, ex-Dolphins HC as the new HC. Good luck, dude.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25724125/adam-gase-expected-hired-new-york-jets-head-coach

• Advertisement

Can't say I'd be a fan of that, he was basically ran out of Miami. Statistically there were 3 worse offensences than the Jets and Miami happened to be one of them!
    Apparently they were all set to hire Rhule but Macc in his infinite wisdom wouldnt allow him to form his own coaching staff, so he declined and you couldn't blame him, given the last hire Macc made was Jeremy ****in Bates!!

Looks like a horrible hire by the Jets. It feels like the talent evaluation problems in the front office include coaches as well as players. The whole story with Rhule stinks. How can you trust him to be HC and not let him pick his staff! Unfortunately we have a temporary owner out of his depth listening to a GM out of his depth picking a coach who coached a worse offence than the Jets had last year. We have officially turned into the Browns and even they have started to turn things around. Somehow I hope Sams talent and all the free agent money is not squandered. I'm not hopeful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I don't think Gase got a fair run with the Dolphins, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a good coach. However, I don't like the Jets' roster too much, and I think he is a divisive character, who may struggle to knit a team together when results are adverse. Miami should have given him another year, I think.

Miami as a franchise isn't any better than the Jets in their history. Had possibly the greatest QB of all time in Marino, didn't win the SB (though they were up against a legendary team at the height of its power.)

But, since those glory years, nothing. And, they too can't find a persistent long-term QB answer. But, maybe with Darnold, the Jets finally have that and the rest will fall into place.

Personally, he'd have to be pretty darn awful to be as bad as some of his predecessors. Bowles seemed to be in over his head. Idzlik was a disaster draft-wise, but the Jets seem to have a good core. Maybe hitting on a few FA's for a change and a couple draft pieces, it'll be an improvement. I don't buy this locker-room stuff, when the team's winning, you don't hear that. It's the losing that causes it, everyone has an answer for the problems, but it comes down to, play better on every play.

Anyway, it's January, I'll give the coach the benefit of the doubt at least till the season starts :) I

Terrible appointment.

Igotadose wrote: »
    How did Darnold look? One sees more in person than on TV.

Composed and was getting positive help consistently from McCown.

L.S.F wrote: »
    Was just above ya! Section 201A I think it was (under big screen, 5 rows from front of tier). Tickets were ~$70 but got them in the summer. Enjoyed the game despite the loss. Only took one in game photo:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FeM8Eo2LuOtsieuo1IfiditVJxAQJXpa/view (can't seem to get the .jpg link from google drive??)

Didn't make it back in time for fight tho (Katies bout anyway), spent a while queuing for the bus back to Port Authority and then straight for food but boxing wasn't on any TV.

Lesson learned from last year; bring your passport if you want beer! Driving licence didn't cut it at MetLife. Managed to get three pints all together.

Lessons learned this time: Even with passport you have to fill out a form, which they ask for your passport number, expiry etc. and then you can only purchase beer from that stall alone anytime you want one. Have to fill it out again if you want a different type of beer. Where they came up with this rule for non-US people I do not know!? I didn't fill in correct details on form and my friend questioned what was done with them and was told they would be shredded.

Also they stop selling beer just after half time??!!! WTF?!

Anyway, the day didn't evolve around pints but crazy the hoops you have to jump through to get a pint! :D

Waiting for the schedule to come out to plan another trip over, looking like late September/early October at this stage and keeping fingers crossed we get the Jags in London!

Glad you enjoyed it. Tend not to drink at these games as prices are outrageous but anyway have local ID if needs be!

The train queues move a lot quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Either it's the experience guy or the college guy who is the maveric. Neither might work out but it could be fun. Just not a Dolphin's reject... What did he do to deserve this.

Decided to listen to the turnonthejets podcasts about the Gase hire on the way home. More depressed than ever. He seems to have been third choice. There seems to be no justification for the hire except for a phone call from Peyton Manning. My biggest concern is that front line free agents won't come to the Jets because of him. I hope all are proven wrong but as the saying goes the numbers don't lie and don't look at Gases numbers unless you want to depress yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Decided to listen to the turnonthejets podcasts about the Gase hire on the way home. More depressed than ever. He seems to have been third choice. There seems to be no justification for the hire except for a phone call from Peyton Manning. My biggest concern is that front line free agents won't come to the Jets because of him. I hope all are proven wrong but as the saying goes the numbers don't lie and don't look at Gases numbers unless you want to depress yourself.

Big fan of Joe Caporsoso

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    Big fan of Joe Caporsoso

Like the site and eventhough he is sometimes a bit negative in this case he goes deep into the numbers to analyse Gase. He also debunks some of the arguments being made that Gase is some kind of QB whisperer and offensive genius. The evidence is just not there to support this theory.

News is that we might get Greg Williams as defensive coordinator. At least the D should have some fire!!

Like the site and eventhough he is sometimes a bit negative in this case he goes deep into the numbers to analyse Gase. He also debunks some of the arguments being made that Gase is some kind of QB whisperer and offensive genius. The evidence is just not there to support this theory.

News is that we might get Greg Williams as defensive coordinator. At least the D should have some fire!!

The NY media would have a field day with Gase and Williams in town!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

The way I look at it, he wasn't given a fair crack in Miami. I think there's a lot to be said for taking a coach after he's made his mistakes in his first HC role.

D9Male wrote: »
    The way I look at it, he wasn't given a fair crack in Miami. I think there's a lot to be said for taking a coach after he's made his mistakes in his first HC role.

You will find that most coaches who fail on their first HC job do better after a few years back as a coordinater. There is no precedent for a coach who was hired straight away to a new HC job succeeding. Again the numbers don't lie. Any current player who has spoken up for him has the same agent. Hopefully he changes his OC but he he brings the same OC from Miami it shows he has learned nothing. There seems to be a major propoganda effort by the Jets organisation on social media today and yesterday and it seems to be working.

Gase had his press conference. The NY post ran what, in my opinion, is one of the worst photos of, well, anyone, ever, in their article covering it.

iwjkeh.jpg

Apparently his eyes are a meme and have their own twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/Crazy_Gase_Eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Can see why he normally wears a baseball cap low on his head

I'd be OK with that statement if his team had won more than 7 games!!

So the Gase / Darnold era can commence. :o

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So the Gase / Darnold era can commence. :o

It'll be interesting to see what staff he brings in or how many of the current group will be held on to. I definitely want the ST coach to hang around, his group constantly performed well
    Whoever they bring in as DC is basically going to be a head coach cause Gase pretty much said he wants nothing to do with th defense!

Gregg Williams seems to be pretty much official now. Interesting hire, I think they had to go with someone with a lot of experience giving Gace doesnt look like he'll have a whole lot to do with the defence. Williams defences have been largely 4-3, it'll be interesting how that change goes down, I dont think they've a whole lot of suitable options at linebacker if he does move to a 4-3.
    Special Teams coach Brant Boyer is being kept on aswell which is a positive. Theres also talk on twitter that they're hiring someone to look after all things clock management, another positive for me given how terrible Bowles was at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Gregg Williams seems to be pretty much official now. Interesting hire, I think they had to go with someone with a lot of experience giving Gace doesnt look like he'll have a whole lot to do with the defence. Williams defences have been largely 4-3, it'll be interesting how that change goes down, I dont think they've a whole lot of suitable options at linebacker if he does move to a 4-3.
    Special Teams coach Brant Boyer is being kept on aswell which is a positive. Theres also talk on twitter that they're hiring someone to look after all things clock management, another positive for me given how terrible Bowles was at it!

From what I've read and seen of Gase he has so little interest in Defense it's almost a split HC role, makes the Williams hire more sensible I think. At the very least the two of them will be a welcome change for the interviews from Bowles :o Great news keeping Boyer.

I had my spirits briefly raised when the Jets hired Gregg Williams as DC. However it's back down to earth with the hiring of a man who was one voted the worst play caller in the NFL as OC. I have read the argument that Loggains is familiar to Gase but I think it just showed that Gase hasn't learned or doesn't want to learn from his mistakes. We have to hope that the Jets get the right talent in to support Sam and then success may follow. Also disappointed the Jets are not coming to London this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The problem with the Jets is clear and obvious, his name is Woody Johnson. I'd consider him among the worst owners in the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

eagle eye wrote: »
    The problem with the Jets is clear and obvious, his name is Woody Johnson. I'd consider him among the worst owners in the NFL.
    He's the UK ambassador for Trump. Has no involvement with the team now.

• Advertisement

I had my spirits briefly raised when the Jets hired Gregg Williams as DC. However it's back down to earth with the hiring of a man who was one voted the worst play caller in the NFL as OC. I have read the argument that Loggains is familiar to Gase but I think it just showed that Gase hasn't learned or doesn't want to learn from his mistakes. We have to hope that the Jets get the right talent in to support Sam and then success may follow. Also disappointed the Jets are not coming to London this year.

yeah not a great look, he was with him in Chicago as well so its clearly a case of them being buddies. I'm sick of hearing the "OC doesnt matter because Gase will be in charge of the offence" line. You should want your players surrounded by the best coaches available not some idiot yes men that do as they're told!!

yeah not a great look, he was with him in Chicago as well so its clearly a case of them being buddies. I'm sick of hearing the "OC doesnt matter because Gase will be in charge of the offence" line. You should want your players surrounded by the best coaches available not some idiot yes men that do as they're told!!

Same crack again today with the hiring of the Dolphins WR coach. Can't understand the fuss with the other candidates assistant coaches when the Jets are letting Gase hire his buddies and not looking at alternatives who appear to be superior.

Jets head coach Adam Gase has competed his 2019 coaching staff. Gase's 21-man staff includes the coordinators that have already been announced — Dowell Loggains (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks), Gregg Williams (defensive coordinator) and Brant Boyer (special teams coordinator). Thirteen of the 21 coaches are new to the Jets and eight are returning from last year's staff.

Here is an introduction to the new assistant coaches who have come on board:

OFFENSE
    Shawn Jefferson — Assistant Head Coach Offense/Wide Receivers
    The Jets are Jefferson's fourth stop as a pro coach. He was with Detroit (2006-12), where he coached WR Calvin Johnson; Tennessee (2013-15), and Miami, where he coached Gase's wideouts all three years and Jarvis Landry for two of them, including his 112-catch 2017 season.

Jefferson's coaching career followed his distinguished 13-season playing career with stops at San Diego, New England, Atlanta and Detroit. He played 195 regular-season games (130 starts) and totaled 470 receptions for 7,023 yards (14.9 yards/catch) and 29 touchdowns, plus 14 postseason games, including Super Bowls XXIX (with the Chargers) and XXXI (with the Patriots).

Jim Bob Cooter — Running Backs
    Cooter is coming off a five-year stay with Detroit, starting out as the quarterbacks coach for Matt Stafford and the Lions' signalcallers in 2014, then stepping up to offensive coordinator during the '15 season. In 2017 the Lions had the No. 13 offense in the NFL, the sixth-ranked passing offense and the No. 7 scoring offense.

His first NFL coaching experience was as an offensive assistant for Indianapolis (2009-11). He was Kansas City's quality control coordinator for a season, then an offensive assistant for Denver in '13, where he worked with Gase. He began coaching as a graduate assistant in 2007-08 at the University of Tennessee after serving as a backup QB on the Vols and being named to the SEC's All-Academic team.

John Dunn — Tight Ends
    Dunn moves back to the pros after serving last season as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator at the University of Connecticut. Prior to UConn, he worked for two seasons with Loggains on John Fox's Chicago Bears staff, as quality control assistant in 2016 and offensive assistant in '17.

Before the Bears, Dunn spent five seasons as tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator at Maryland, and before that three seasons as graduate offensive assistant at LSU. As a college player he was a walk-on quarterback at North Carolina and played there until 2003, when his playing career was cut short by a neck injury.

Frank Pollack — Offensive Line
    Pollack has been an NFL offensive line coach since 2007. He started with Houston (2007-11), went to Oakland in 2012, then to Dallas for four years, the first two as assistant OL coach, the last two as OL coach. Last season he coached Cincinnati's O-line. Before the Texans, he coached at his alma mater, Northern Arizona, in 2005 and '06 along with Derek Frazier. Pollack played 90 games (six starts) over six seasons as a tackle/guard with the 49ers from 1990-97.

Derek Frazier — Assistant Offensive Line
    Frazier comes to the Jets after a coaching career spent in the college ranks. He started at Nichols College (2000), then went to Adams State (2001), Fresno State (2003-04, '06-11), Northern Arizona (2005-06) and Colorado State (2012-14). His last four seasons he coached the offensive line at Central Michigan, adding the title of run game coordinator to his OL duties the past two seasons.

Bo Hardegree — Offensive Assistant
    Hardegree, 34, was Miami's quarterbacks coach under Gase from 2016-18. He began his NFL coaching career as offensive quality control coach with Denver in 2014 and moved to Chicago the next year as offensive assistant. Before the Broncos, he worked on the college level, as a graduate assistant at Duke (2008-10), where he earned his master's degree, and as an intern with LSU (2011-13).

DEFENSE
    Frank Bush — Assistant Head Coach Defense/Inside Linebackers
    Bush was Miami's assistant head coach and linebackers coach under Gase the past two seasons. After a short playing career as a Houston 'backer (1985-86), he has had a long career coaching NFL LBs among other positions.

He was a scout and then a coach for the Oilers (1987-94), then coached with the Broncos (1995-2003), Cardinals (2004-06), Texans (2007-10), Titans (2011-12) and Rams (2013-16). He was a part of Denver's two Super Bowl championships after the 1997 and '98 seasons and served as the Texans' defensive coordinator in 2009 and '10.

Andre Carter — Defensive Line
    Carter's first NFL coaching assignment was as Gase's assistant DL coach with Miami in 2017-18 after he was a graduate student assistant at his alma mater, California, in 2015 and a Bill Walsh NFL Diversity Coaching Fellowship participant with the 49ers in '16.

He is well-known for his playing career, 13 NFL seasons split among San Francisco (2001-05), for whom he was the seventh overall pick of the '01 draft, Washington (2006-10), New England (2011, '13) and Oakland ('12). He played in 184 games with 147 starts and racked up 80.5 sacks and 18 forced fumbles. Jets fans will remember him for his career-high four-sack game for the Patriots in a Sunday night MetLife Stadium game in 2011.

Joe Vitt — Senior Defensive Assistant/Outside Linebackers
    Vitt enters his 41st season in the NFL. Season No. 40 was spent on Gase's Miami staff last year as senior director of football and player development. Prior to that he spent 38 seasons as an NFL assistant coach with eight different teams, predominantly working with LBs. From 2006-16 he was assistant head coach/linebackers for New Orleans and helped the Saints win Super Bowl XLIV.

He also coached with St. Louis (2004-05), Kansas City (2000-03), Green Bay (1999), Philadelphia (1995-98), the Los Angeles Rams (1992-94), Seattle (1982-91) and the Baltimore Colts (1979-81). He served as an interim head coach twice, for the Saints in '12 and for the Rams in '05.

Blake Williams — Defensive Assistant
    Williams has nine years of NFL coaching experience, eight of them on staffs with his father, Gregg. Blake started out as a coaching intern with Washington in 2006-07, moved to Jacksonville in '08, was an offensive line assistant in '09 for the Super Bowl XLIV champion Saints and coached linebackers for two more years in New Orleans, was the coordinator and LBs coach for the Rams in 2012, and coached the Browns' LBs for the past two years. He also spent single seasons at Southeastern Louisiana University and William Jewell College and with the NFL league office.

Eric Sanders — Defensive Assistant
    Sanders completed his third season last year as Cleveland's defensive quality control coach on Gregg Williams' side of the ball. He also was a quality control coach with Oakland from 2010-14. In between his Raiders and Browns stints, he spent 2015 as a defensive assistant at Stanford. Sanders began coaching as video coordinator at UC Davis (Ken O'Brien's old school), before moving to tight ends and assistant offensive line coach. Then it was on to Utah for a year in '07 before returning to Davis as LBs coach in 2008-09.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/adam-gase-completes-his-jets-coaching-staff?campaign=tw

A father in law, a son and a whole lot of buddies from Miami! I really cant see how this is going to be anything but a failure:(

Interesting pairing with Williams and Vitt, considering Vitt testified against Williams in the bounty gate investigation.

Would have liked to see Kev Greene remain on the staff, he done a good job with a pretty mediocre linebacking core last year

Also Jim Bob Cooter had a bottom 5 rushing attack for each of his years as OC in Detroit, so an odd choice for a rb coach

Looks like a nice trade, low draft picks for a proven guard esp. now that the Jets are losing James Carpenter:

https://nypost.com/2019/03/11/the-jets-next-move-to-help-sam-darnold-just-became-clearer/

Lots of talk about signing Le'Veon Bell. I don't see it - it's not like when the Jets signed Curtis Martin, they were close to high-level contenders before signing him, and for a few years he brought them closer still. Bell would be super-expensive, I'd rather invest in the line and the D (which is pretty shaky in a lot of positions outside Safety), and maybe a mid-tier runner (or later draft pick.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement