Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

We had the butt fumble we now have the butt stumble from Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Sanchez throws a pick on the first series...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Is Rex basically putting plans in place to apply for defensive co-ordinator jobs next year because it sounds like he is washing hs hands of the offense

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000228777/article/rex-ryan-on-mark-sanchezs-picksix-i-never-saw-it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

QB (4) — Graham Harrell, Mark Sanchez, Matt Simms, Geno Smith

RB (4) — Kahlil Bell, Tommy Bohanon, Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell

WR (5) — Clyde Gates, Stephen Hill, Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Kerley, Ryan Spadola

TE (3) — Jeff Cumberland, Konrad Reuland, Kellen Winslow

OL (9) — Oday Aboushi, Will Campbell, Willie Colon, Vladimir Ducasse, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Austin Howard, Nick Mangold, Caleb Schlauderaff, Brian Winters

DL (5) — Leger Douzable, Kenrick Ellis, Damon Harrison, Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson

LB (10) — Antwan Barnes, Nick Bellore, Quinton Coples, Demario Davis, David Harris, Danny Lansanah, Josh Mauga, Garrett McIntyre, Calvin Pace, Ricky Sapp

DB (10) — Antonio Allen, Josh Bush, Antonio Cromartie, Jaiquawn Jarrett, Dawan Landry, Ellis Lankster, Dee Milliner, Isaiah Trufant, Darrin Walls, Kyle Wilson

ST (3) — Nick Folk, Robert Malone, Tanner Purdum

genos3.gif

geno5.gif

Four wins if we're lucky.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000243247/article/mark-sanchez-i-won-competition-against-geno-smith

Sanchez saying he won the QB battle & will be back as starter. Harmless self-confidence or distuptive delusion???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Harmless self confidence I hope, he's lost the starting job because of injury and he won't get it back until geno plays really bad.

I have a horrible feeling we'll be blown out badly . We need a run game , if we can take pressure off Geno we'll be better .

Plus the patriots offense will be blunted without amendola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

great read about Damon "Snacks" Harrison, one of the good stories to come out of New York

http://espn.go.com/new-york/columns/nfl/story/_/id/9717854/new-york-jets-damon-harrison-water-boy-starting-nose-tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Watched the Falcons game there last night. Fair play to Geno on the performance and getting them up the field at the end. Was a few hairy moments earlier in the game with a few long shots that could have been picked.

The defence looks to be doing a good job so far. Most of the scores against the titans were from turnovers after all and we should have been much more comfortable against Buffalo except for crazy penalties. Having a much better season than I thought.

• Advertisement

That was a game that had to be won. Rex probably lost his job last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GEKKO135

I don't think Rex has lost his job just yet but his head is definitely just above water. This weekend could be a big factor though and I'm sure he realizes that. I think he'll use every trick in the book to get the best out of his team on Sunday. What worries me is that Mornhinweg wont run the ball enough to exploit the absence of Mayo and Wilfork. I know the ground and pound days are gone but I think running the ball and keeping Brady off the park will be key to getting a win here.

Yeah Mornhinweg needs to give Ivory the ball in this game, he had 52 yards on 11 carries in the last game and that was with Vince Wilfork in the team,if they can get a decent run game going it will take a major amount of pressure of Geno after a poor showing last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

4 and 3 lads, at the start of the season who would have thought.
    We have the best front 3 in football right now in my opinion.

Mo and Sheldon Rich are on the way to Hawaii and Snacks has been an unbelievable free agent acquisition.

I don't mind Geno's Turnovers this year, sure some of them are infuriating at the time but i've seen enough good from him so far to have fate in building around him in the off season.

I sense we will level out to 8-8 or maybe 7-9 / 9-7 which (will do me) should be enough to keep Rex around - I don't want to see him go, the consensus is that Woody and Idzik are very happy with him and Marty so far.

Two very tough games coming up for us next before the bye but I'm right now.

Always nice to beat that shower too :)

We're much better than I thought we would be. Great win.

yep its a good day to be a Jets fan. some real positives in that game for me, Antonio Allen is putting in some solid performances and iven the most difficult job of the afternoon-covering Gronk which he done extremely well. Ivory gettin the bulk of the carries resulted in him gettin a 100+yard game, the o-line did a much better job protecting Geno today. finally its really nice to see the Jets get someone who isnt afraid to return punts.

there were some negatives though, Milliner doesnt look like is physically ready for the NFL with all the injuries he's had. Coples is also struggling since his ankle injury and looks a bit of a liability on the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Rex really can coach a defence in fairness to him and been less of the clown stuff this year

Mo Wilkerson and co can be feared for years if they keep this up

More skill players in the next few drafts please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I don’t ever get my hopes up… EVER! (I’ve been a Jets fan since 1967, and I know disappointment to the N'th degree). But it looks like they’ve found their quarterback of the future in Smith as long as his decision and reaction process improves. Too bad they gave Sanchez all that money for what exactly I don’t know.

My wife’s cousin went to Temple with Wilkerson and told me when the Jets drafted him, that he was going to be their franchise player at some time in the near future. I said yeah, right! Looks like I could be eating crow.

Rewatched the game there, Our defensive front is crazy good, Wilkerson, Snacks and Richardson are phenomenal. The patriots had -6 yards offense in 14 minutes of the 3rd quarter (obviously both teams had the ball in quarter but still! )

Brady was hurried and harassed a lot and it effected his timing .

Antonio Allen looks to becoming a big player for us, I was impressed with him earlier in the season and he had by far his best game to date against Pats.

Our offense when we get inside teams 40 is worrying, Yes Geno is a rookie but hes not helped by some of our receivers. When he has less space he looks less confident,leading to picks around the endzone, This week and last week against the steelers.

Kerley Look fit, Gonna have a big impact in relieving pressure for Geno.

Cribbs made our return game look a whole lot better, no offense to kerley but he fair catches nearly every punt.

We have the whiff of an 8-8 team. Hopefully its enough for Sexy Rexy to keep his job. I'd be gutted if he was let go.

two huge games coming up @ Bengals and Home for Saints. If we can do well from these who knows what beckons !

On the penalty on the field goal, ye was a weird one alright, Lucky we got it, but I still think we were the better team over 4 quarters.

Wilkerson, Snacks(UDFA), Kerley(5th round) Davis(3rd Round) and Allen(7th round) all came in under Mike T's watch as well so he didn't fcuk the club up entirly!!

We have the whiff of an 8-8 team. Hopefully its enough for Sexy Rexy to keep his job. I'd be gutted if he was let go.

I'm in the same boat, I really hope he gets another shot next year, he has built one of the most formidable defenses in the NFL during the offseason, especially the front 7. and his defense has basically shut down Tom Brady twice this year.
    two huge games coming up @ Bengals and Home for Saints. If we can do well from these who knows what beckons !

Win or lose these next two weeks should be fun, and very telling.

• Advertisement

We suck.

Was at the International Series game the weekend so I still haven't gotten around to firing up the condensed game on gamepads for fear of anger.

Where does it rank in the Rex Ryan era?

That Giants game on Christmas Eve a couple of years back still breaks my heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

What a win

Wilkerson and that DLine is wicked

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GEKKO135

That game sums up just how good Marty Mornhinweg is. A coordinator with pretty much no talent at receiver managed to outscore the Saints in a game that looked dead and buried before it began.

Even though I'm still not sold on Quinton Coples, he is finally starting to show his worth. The same can be said for Dee Milliner who had a solid performance despite nearly letting a big play get over him that was fortunately dropped. Chris Ivory and the offensive line were the biggest winners of the day, I feel. If the run game didn't get established then this game was doomed. We saw the same game-plan employed for the Bengals but their run D was too solid, letting Dalton march down the field and wearing out our defence before the first half was over. The right side of the line looks particularly strong in the run game.

Now, the jets are 5-4 going into the bye week and we have an opportunity to make a run for the playoffs. We should have a stronger squad with Holmes, Cumberland and Winslow all getting back. Hopefully Kerley's injury isn't as bad as it looked either as he has been a key 3rd down player. With those players back our passing attack should get going again.

Personally, I don't think we'll get there but regardless the first 9 weeks have shown this is a team with a formidable defence, an excellent coaching staff, and a promising future. Woody made a great decision keeping Rex when so many people were calling for his head. He knew Rex wasn't the problem. I still think he's one of the best coaches in the league and I would love if he stayed long-term. I think if we draft well next year, which I expect we will under John Idzik, then I feel we may have some good years ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Wasnt a bad weekend of results for the jets this weekend with Tennessee and the Chargers losing. Would have preferred Cincinnati to take Baltimore and maybe Tampa could turn over Miami tonight after their seahawks performance.

Two absolutely huge games coming up @ Bills and @ Ravens. Coming off the bye I'd be hopeful of taking down the Bills to go to 6 - 4. Its going to be some dog fight for that last Wild Card spot!

Thoughts on the pick up of Reed ?

Can't see a negative if he's not healthy or not up too it we can just cut him ,

Also think he could be a postive influence for Allen .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭franglan

At least he'll be up for the Ravens game!

I cant see him gettin too much playing time to be honest considering he has clearly lost a step, Landry and Allen have done well at the safety position so far this seasons. but maybe he can be an effective situational safety and provide needed veteran leadership

and as you said it can only be good news for young guys like Allen, Bush and Jarrett getting to be on the practice field and in the meeting rooms with him.

phatkev wrote: »
    I cant see him gettin too much playing time to be honest considering he has clearly lost a step, Landry and Allen have done well at the safety position so far this seasons. but maybe he can be an effective situational safety and provide needed veteran leadership

and as you said it can only be good news for young guys like Allen, Bush and Jarrett getting to be on the practice field and in the meeting rooms with him.

This....

Just seeing Ed in a Jets jersey this weekend is going to be great. Our midseason signings so far this year have been doing well. David Nelson and Josh Cribbs have slotted in nicely so I hope Ed gives it his all for the next 7 games and isn't just around to collect some pay cheques.

• Advertisement

lol lads, Reed was absolutely dreadful in Houston - hence why he was cut. They paid him $5m guaranteed plus some of the other $10m on the contract in base salary and workout bonuses, etc. To write that off halfway through his first season is a damning indictment of not just his on field performance, but obviously his attitude and contribution off the field.

He's hanging around to get a few more cheques in the door. He got his ring last year and has been famously beat up for a long time now. He must need the money and I think that as such it is a brain dead move to go anywhere near him. He's Hall of Fame bound, but he's done as a functioning player in the NFL.

Advertisement