Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Well that was a rough game to watch.

Bar our Run D nothing looked good. Hard to think of any positives to take, we are a completely different team on the road.

OLine was atrocious, Geno was horrendous (he loves a pick six), Cromartie gives up a TD every week now it seems and Dee Milliner continues to worry in a very bad first season. Rookie Cornerback or not, you have to play the position better than he has been playing it. Really worry about him and Cro up against Jones and Torrey Smith next week.

Stephen Hill can feck right off though - He has been our worst draft pick since Vernon Gholston.

Still though - much better season that I thought it would be back in August :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Cro's thing these last few seasons was his speed and its just not there this season, he's getting burned week in week out, he'll be gone at the end of the season. Rex needs to forget Milliner was a 1st round pick he's clearly not ready to be starting especially since there's better corners sitting on the bench.

Stephen Hill might as well not be even on the field he's been completely invisible the last few weeks, he hasn't caught a pass since the bengals game and he only had one in that game. at least Holmes is back, he had a pretty decent game tonight coming off an injury.

The offensive line was horrific alright, Smith was sacked four times and hit eight times. the rookie Winters was constantly getting beat and I could see Vlad getting the guard spot back if Winters continues this form. the pass and run blocking must improve drastically if the Jets plan on winning any more games this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

It looks like a long winter ahead for us poor Jets fans. Anyone who watches college ball could have told you that Geno wont ever be a franchise QB. His main problem is similar to Sanchez and that is that he lacks poise under even the slightest of pressure. Both dont seem to be able to read a defense or be able to handle any size of a playbook. I cant see any situation where Geno will improve enough to lead a Jets team to the playoffs. His second half is mirroring the second half he and West Virginia had last season. While Geno is far from the only problem that needs to be fixed, I believe QB is the first position that the Jets should fill in the draft. AJ McCarron from Alabama should be the Jets first pick in the next draft. Bridgewater, Manziel and Mariota will all go firstand hopefully McCarron will fall to us. He plays in pro style offense, can read defences and most importantly reacts well under presssure.

There is also a very deep class of WRs coming up and hopefully the Jets can finally draft a good wide receiver. I have seen alot of mocks where Campbell a 6'6" WR from Rutgers is rated highly. Cant understand this as I have watched Rutgers twice this year and he cant catch the ball. Anyone but him and I will be happy.

Sorry for long post but really fed up with Jets at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rex Ryan needs to be shown the door and Sanchez cut. Ryan is also responsible for Offense and should be sacked on that basis.

I believe QB is the first position that the Jets should fill in the draft. AJ McCarron from Alabama should be the Jets first pick in the next draft. Bridgewater, Manziel and Mariota will all go firstand hopefully McCarron will fall to us. He plays in pro style offense, can read defences and most importantly reacts well under pressure.

Doesn't matter who we draft or sign we need to fix that O-Line as well or nobody will stand a chance.

Mangold and Howard have been Mediocre.
    Winters a struggling rookie (but not surprising)
    Willie Colon a flag magnet.
    D'Brick has had a stinker, his regression is very worrying, he gets beat for a sack nearly every single game.

I'm really fed up watching that ****e week in week out, we have the worst O in the league. I agree with LuckyLloyd that the buck stops with Rex this time, 3 years of solid decline and he literally doesn't give a care once the D is playing good. Really not good for the HC to be going on like that.

So many positions to address in the draft and free agency. I'd prioritise the following.

Holmes & Sanchez - Adios, thanks for the memories.
    Debating whether to keep Cromarties, I probably would but only if he restructured his contract to give us more cap space.

WR - We may be in a position to draft the number 1 WR on the board depending on how we finish.
    Ideally only Kerley will be still on the roster next year. Maybe Hill battling it out for the 5th spot.
    Another WR hitting Free Agency might be worth a play - No stupid big contracts like we gave that T**t Holmes a few years back.

QB - Overly optimistic here but I'd love if Cutler hit FA and we made a play for him. If not Matt Schaub would do me for a year or 2 until we build for a rookie to come in. I really don't think next years draft QB class is as strong as everyone is making out, when the rule is run over them come April we won't see that many with first round grades.

Safety - We have Dawan Landry in SS spot for another year, he's been serviceable but we need a FS to go with him, AA has done a good job but we need some more ballhawks around there.

Offensive Line/Tight End- We need to use to Picks 2, 3 (Bucs Revis Pick), 4 on these positions and hope we find some diamonds.

To Summarise - This year was supposed to be rebuilding year Number 1 for the Jets. Bar Chris Ivory our Offense doesn't look to be rebuilding at all. Idzik needs to cop on because he won't get much more leeway if he stinks it up next April with Draft picks.

• Advertisement

the Jets scored 37 points today:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

phatkev wrote: »
    the Jets scored 37 points today:eek:

Had to come to work extra early this morning so didn't get to see any of the game.

Didn't read your comment correctly and taught you said conceded 37. I was thinking - "for fcuk sake, not again".

When I opened ESPN to look at the recap, I wasn't sure I was looking at the right game at first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

it would have been a much better day had miami and the ravens lost both got late scores to go a game ahead and with a tough trip to cam newton territory next week that elusive 6th place is looking harder to reach with 3 to go

Fun Jet fact of the week: Sheldon Richardson now has as many touchdowns this season as both Stephen Hill and Santonio Holmes

Best 8-8 Season we've probably had considering everything that happened.

Will put up my review of the season later this week but I'm more satisfied with this season than the previous 2.

Finished second in the east and that's payback for what Miami did to us 2 years back down there.

Delighted Rex is staying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

phatkev wrote: »
    Fun Jet fact of the week: Sheldon Richardson now has as many touchdowns this season as both Stephen Hill and Santonio Holmes

He now has the same as both of them combined!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Delighted that Rex is being kept on. Did a great job with the Jets this year & deserved to be kept on.

What will be happening at QB in the off-season for ye?

yeah delighted Rex is staying, there's no coach out there who has done more with less than Rex imo. Its now up to Idzik to perform this offseason he's got the $$ and he has 12 draft picks, so he has no excuses not to add some much needed offensive weapons.

The QB position is Geno's to lose, he put together some nice stats in his final 4 games, i reckon they will bring in a competent backup to challenge him in training camp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

What ever happened to Nick Mangold? He used to be a God.

he has been solid in pass protection this year, but his run blocking has been sub par. he has had a couple injures all season which could have led the decline in his game

I've been playing Madden 10 for the past month and I picked the Jets because of their jersey (and I've gotten sick of being the Chiefs all the time) and I really do love Mangold and some chap called Faneca too.

Yeah Faneca was a beast, he was one of the main reason the Jets had so much success running the ball in 08/09 seasons, he was then cut for the absolute stud that is big Vlad:(

Tremendous guy. Due to the weight issues experiences by former players, he lost 100 pound within around 2 years of retiring. This is what he looks like now:

attachment.php?attachmentid=358&d=1363020255

I'd be more worried about coming up against that girl if I was a defensive linesman at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭franglan

Have to agree on the Rex staying malarkey- thought it would be a 5 or 6 win season for the Jets but to get to 8-8 is close to doing an exceptional job. You look at the offensive options this year at WR and TE- Stephen Hill isin't going to make it, Santonio Holmes needs to get rid of the red contact lenses and just go away.

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    Santonio Holmes needs to get rid of the red contact lenses and just go away.

Cannot wait until this chap is released from the Jets.

Only following the Jets about 7 years or so now but he is by far the my most hated of Jets players I've seen. Complete a**hole too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Locker room upon it being confirmed that Rex is staying:

ku-xlarge.gif

going to shock the world next year folks

icon14.png

Would love to see all the dressing room for a full reaction/assessment of what the jets players think of Rex staying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Decided to wait till some of the uncertainty in the jets season was resolved. Mainly Rex Ryan's contract.

So first off Rex Ryan being kept in my opinion was the best option. He showed he can get a team AFC Championship game and compete. He could of been fired but who would have been the alternative ?

Someone from college ? The likes of Jim Cadwell, Jay Gruden etc..

His defensive work is top notch and every team in the league would kill to have him. Give him a 2 year cycle if he cant show improvement on the offensive side in both stats and developing players then we'll move on from Rex and thank him for the memories !

Re-signings
    Austin Howard and Willie Colon need to be resigned to stabilize the offensive line.

Once Josh Cribbs was signed the special teams improved , he was injured in pre season for the other teams he signed for . He shouldnt cost to much and will be asset if he can remain fit.

Kellen Winslow, Ed Reed, Calvin pace need to be cut. Pace May have spot for a cheap 1 year deal as depth linebacker . Time to move on from Jeff Cumberland, he hasn't developed, take someone younger.

Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie - Holmes I want to move on, he could decent come next year but hes not worth it even if he reduces is salary.

Cromartie - I keep moving back and forth he had an awful second part of season. Restructure and keep . I don't know

Now the interesting point of QB, Geno's last few games showed promise. I hope they get in competition and not Michael Vick as its been rumored or suggested on sites. But somebody to force Geno to win the job.

With the rookie pay scale and the fact Geno was a 2nd round pick we can give him this year and if he doesnt pan out we can move on. but he needs a fair chance with some good weapons. He arguably had the worst set of receivers in the league.

Weapons - I'd take a risk on Maclin coming of a season injured and hitting free agency. Could be exactly what we need.

Draft

First round - I can see a OLB being taken or i can see WR/TE being taken, Id rather the latter group. If we take a defensive player its Ryans influence, Id rather we take a WR and let rex coach up 3rd 4th rounders.

2nd or 3rd round think we need to depth O-line, The rookie winters hasnt played great but theirs no alternative for next year . Depending if we pick wr/te in first. An OLB needs to be drafted very light in this department.

pick 4- Honestly upside skill position . RB/TE/WR.

round 5-7
    Ill just pray they do anything .

Re-signings
    Austin Howard and Willie Colon need to be resigned to stabilize the offensive line.

Once Josh Cribbs was signed the special teams improved , he was injured in pre season for the other teams he signed for . He shouldnt cost to much and will be asset if he can remain fit.

Kellen Winslow, Ed Reed, Calvin pace need to be cut. Pace May have spot for a cheap 1 year deal as depth linebacker . Time to move on from Jeff Cumberland, he hasn't developed, take someone younger.

Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie - Holmes I want to move on, he could decent come next year but hes not worth it even if he reduces is salary.

Cromartie - I keep moving back and forth he had an awful second part of season. Restructure and keep . I don't know

Weapons - I'd take a risk on Maclin coming of a season injured and hitting free agency. Could be exactly what we need.

Totally agree on the offensive line, imo Howard is the most valuable of the Jets players hitting free agency and needs to be resign. I'm also in favor of resigning Colon his biggest thing heading into the season was staying healthy he proved this and was the best on the line in pass protection.

Once they resigned the most valuable FA they need to sign MO Wilkerson he only has 1 year left on his contract and you dont need a player as good has him gettin anywhere near FA, he is the Jets prized star and the moment and deserves a multi year deal

Winslow is definitely a goner after the antics his got up to this season! i think Reed needs to as well even though rex has credited him with Milliners vast improvements in the final quarter of the season, his just to much of a risk each time he goes onto the field. Pace might still have another year in him but if he is brought back as a rotational player/locker room leader, hopefully Barnes and Coples can stay fit and hold there spots at OLB.

As you said Holmes is as good as gone and that cant happen quick enough imo.
    Cro could come back IF physically ok, his hip seemed to be a major problem for him this season and a reasonable salary can be agreed upon.

Once FA hits I would love to see them go after Jairus Byrd he is the best safety to hit FA and is the type of player the Jets have been missing at this position for some time, i know he is going to command a ton of money on the open market so i might not be ideal, but then i think they could go for a receiver like Golden Tate or a James Jones who wouldn't be looking for as big a pay day as Decker or Maclin

I know its silly to speculate on draft needs before we've went though free agency but at this stage I'd like to see a TE/WR in the first 2 rounds, then use the two third round picks on S/OLB

so its that time of year again and it looks like Cro is the first big name to be released, loved the guy but its the right move, looks like there is about 30 million in cap space now.
    Screenshot2014-03-09at190404-1.png

lets hope Holmes is the next one to get the chop ive read it could be as soon as wednesday

It will be interesting to see who picks up Sanchez, he has to go but did bring the Jets to two championship games. As a replacement I'd take Shaub but he wants to start and not sit behind Geno.

franglan wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see who picks up Sanchez, he has to go but did bring the Jets to two championship games. As a replacement I'd take Shaub but he wants to start and not sit behind Geno.

Raiders could be a good shout - Or maybe backing up Wilson in Seattle due to the Carroll connections.

Fairly sad to see Cro go - He was a great servant to the Jets, pretty bad last year but he was banged up and his 2010 and 2012 season were fantastic.
    Have a sneaky he feeling he might end up with the Patriots!!!!
    And he provided us with one of the unintentionally hilarious & classic moments in the best Hard Knocks season there has been.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Raiders could be a good shout - Or maybe backing up Wilson in Seattle due to the Carroll connections.

Fairly sad to see Cro go - He was a great servant to the Jets, pretty bad last year but he was banged up and his 2010 and 2012 season were fantastic.
    Have a sneaky he feeling he might end up with the Patriots!!!!
    And he provided us with one of the unintentionally hilarious & classic moments in the best Hard Knocks season there has been.

Straight swap with Aqib Talib - sound!

• Advertisement

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/10/jets-cut-santonio-holmes/

so Santonio got released today, I have feeling no one will be that upset over this news!
    the cut will save the Jets around 8 million

Advertisement