Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

hots wrote: »
    Does him a favour in all likelihood. I saw Q wasn't happy with it, not surprised as he's one who has done well under him. For his many faults (Gregg) he's brought some relatively unknown players forward pretty nicely, with a couple of decent secondary additions and a bit more discipline it's a mid-table defense pretty quickly.

Yeah the young guys on the D-line were really thriving under him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

phatkev wrote: »
    Yeah the young guys on the D-line were really thriving under him

and he was doing decent work with a poor LB group too, no edge rushers and a bunch or deep depth guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Well, this member of the team cut is fine by me. Good riddance, Manish Mehta: https://nypost.com/2020/12/10/daily-news-pulls-manish-mehta-off-jets-coverage-amid-scandal/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Lowlights from today were the three missed FGs. Dont know how you can miss in this sport to be honest. Then the ultimate insult with Geno coming on and actually doing nothing. Humiliating.

Yep, both punting and kicking were sh/te yesterday and had been pretty reliable up until that. Very little in the way of positives really, Hewitt and Langi making good cases for themselves for next year, Maye getting a very nice int was cool. Q decent. Austin probably serviceable so long as he's not the senior CB next year, needs to be paired with a top draft pick (seahawks or our second) or with a solid FA. Farley proving he's a ST guy and no more, zero coverage capability. Score could have been much worse, Sam hit seahawks players in the numbers or gloves 3 times, all easy picks, nice of Jamaal to put his one down for us :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

A completely deserved win today! Yes some shaky moments in the third quarter but very controlled. The kicker was 100%!! The Rams simply were outplayed and outcoached here. Key was Darnold having zero turnovers.

Frank Gore with all his experience was also key and richly deserved his TD.

The talk of tanking is offensive and no player goes out to lose. Watching this in a Jets bar with some Jets "fans" cheering on the Rams was pathetic. Where is the guarantee that Lawrence is the saviour? Should I go out now and but a MegaMillions ticket?? Clemson is not NFL.

This level of disciplined performance could lead to 3-13:)

Man that makes a year of **** losses so much worse. We've gone from a 0 win team taking the best qb prospect in a long time, to most likely taking Sam 2.0 with a warm fuzzy 1.15 in the bag.

I hope we find a trade partner for someone high on Sewell and then take a roll of the dice with another pick. I love the idea of 2 stud OTs but you can't tie up that much capital I don't think. Trade out of 2 and take qb3/4 and stash another first is probably the best situation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Dont know whether to laugh or cry after yesterday's win. I will admit to being not able to sleep properly after it last night! If we end up picking 2 there is no way I would take Fields and I don't think the option of building around Darnold is viable. It's so hard to judge with college QBs and I think I might take Mack Jones from Alabama with the Seattle pick or the 2nd round pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Just caught up with the Jets win today. Some shock - a win is a win is a win. Sam getting the ball out quick and not staring down receivers which weren't actually opened helped. Gore chundered on and gained yards on the majority of his touches, his catch short on that key 3rd down and stumble backwards was excellent really. Mims is growing game on game. Williams has had a good season so far particularly after I was worried he was going to end up like his namesake Leonard Williams who was taken high and never really did it. Was dominant until he was getting sick on the sideline! See how the Jets go until the end of the season, not sure they'll score enough against the Browns but if they can continue with a near 60 min performance - it's the hope that kills you. Decision making from Sam was much improved. It's Trevor at 1 (as a Clemson and general American football fan) or trade out of 2 and see what you get and keep Sam for another year. I didn't think I'd be typing that but again it's the hope that kills you.

Good Luck in Jacksonville, Trevor. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They can't keep Sam for another year. He's done with the Jets. Keeping him for another year and hoping it works out this time is a waste of time. He's been atrocious this year, no game over 250yds and only 9 TDs.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They can't keep Sam for another year. He's done with the Jets. Keeping him for another year and hoping it works out this time is a waste of time. He's been atrocious this year, no game over 250yds and only 9 TDs.

Yeah totally agree, Sam definitely needs a change of scenery! And if/when Gase gets fired, I cant see any potential HC wanting to take the job if Sam is pushed on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Yeah he hasn't turned over the ball the last few games and had a 50% completion rate against the Browns and people want him back. I think he's done in NY. Loads of time to look at the Mormon kid's highlights between now and the draft. I'm sick of nothiness from the Jets even if a guy like Wilson is a complete bust at the pro level at least it would be exciting for a bit. Excitement is generally good. Currently it's dull and loss season after loss season.

I'm going to jump on the Wilson bandwagon too. If we can just hire HC who will play to the strengths of a new QB it would make a huge difference. I have been doing a few mock drafts lately and Najee Harris has been available at the start of the 2nd round. I wouldn't normally take a RB so early but he would make the life of a new QB so much easier that I would do it. Unfortunately Sam's time is up and maybe we could get a 3rd back for him but the important thing is not to repeat the mistakes of the past and surround the new QB with talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I wouldn't burn a high 2nd round pick on a RB. They are a dime a dozen to be honest. More important to get a QB, build out the O-line and get some better WR help. The D is already pretty good but need edge and CB to be strengthened.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I wouldn't burn a high 2nd round pick on a RB. They are a dime a dozen to be honest. More important to get a QB, build out the O-line and get some better WR help. The D is already pretty good but need edge and CB to be strengthened.

Neither would I normally but I am banking on Douglas getting a guard and a WR in free agency (Joe Thuney and Allen Robinson would be dream scenario) and having a 2nd 1st round pick making this possible. Harris would be capable of 1000 yds rushing easily and is also a good catcher of the ball out of the backfield. I would normally wait for later for an RB but this kid has the potential to be all world and would take serious pressure off a new young QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Gase unsurprisingly gone. He can't hurt you anymore.

Gase unsurprisingly gone. He can't hurt you anymore.

The hurt will linger though. I remember the Richie Kotite era. It was dreadful and the aftertaste lasted for years. Not being competitive for most of the games this year and last was horrible.

It's the Jets. Just Endure The Suffering.

The best thing about this is reports that Joey D will be holding the reigns on the new hire, no guarantee of success but it's not a Johnson making a football decision thankfully.

2020 Positives:

Becton is a monster. There aren't many individuals that you specifically design plays around (outside of QBs) but with an offense as lacking in skill players as ours we really should be. We'll have a new arm and new legs behind him next year and it's such an important starting platform if used right.
    Mims looked exciting in flashes, I'm not expecting superstar stuff but he's quick enough and big enough that you can look at a lot of options to line up opposite him, particularly handy if you don't go WR with our top 3 picks.
    Q progressed well enough, and the rest of the D line showed enough improvement to be positive about albeit a bit inconsistently.
    Bearing in mind he was looking at being a roster bubble kind of guy, Hewitt was excellent. He's not the guy you build your defense around but he was very reliable, huge tackle numbers.
    Marcus Maye hopefully re-signs, he really stepped up from being 'the other safety' and generally banged up, into the stud of the defense really.

At CB I guess some young guys got lots of snaps which is good, pretty bleak though.
    WR group ends with Mims and Crowder, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Crowder moved on from, needs a minimum of 2 big additions.
    TE group is weak all round, all of them are TE3 guys.
    RB group is pretty similar, guys you're fine with as depth but nothing even to be a part of a true RBBC.
    OL needs more interior guys, at times they looked capable at times absolute turds, some more depth and competition helps a lot.
    And good-guy Sam, I hope he lands well somewhere else, and more importantly can command a reasonable trade price. I thought he might still be the one longer than most, but the last few weeks have really shown he won't be with us. He's no longer running for his life like he's had to in the past, and sure he's got nothing in the skill positions but he's also not hitting them in the numbers and getting drops or throwing them out of coverage, other QBs have made practice squad guys look good and Sam can't. He needs a QB whisperer now to maybe salvage him.

• Advertisement

Dont think I've ever rooted for the Rams, but I was shouting for them last night. Their win over the Seahawks last night means the Jets second 1st round pick will be one of 21,22,23 or 24, depending on how results go tonight.
    I still cant get my head around how the Jets managed to beat that Rams team on the road!

Robert Saleh confirmed as the Jets new head coach.

Not going to pretend I know a whole lot about the guy, but I'm feeling far more positive than when they hired Gase!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You've gotten a really good guy in Saleh. Sad to see him go but happy that he ended up somewhere where expectations aren't sky high from day 1, seems to have a decent GM, and cap and picks to build something.

49ers fans weren't overly enthusiastic about Saleh until this year. His first 2 seasons weren't great and then last year everyone gave the praise to Bosa and the stacked defensive talents for how well they did. This year however he managed to quietly keep the 49ers defense in the top tier despite mostly bottom of the league talent, due to all the injuries. The only ongoing issue with him is that he seems to struggle to make impactful midgame adjustments on when things are going badly - again this could be down to the level of talent he has been dealing with for most of him time.

It looks like he is also taking Mike LaFleur to be his OC, who will likely run the Shanahan scheme. He was blocked a few times from interviewing for other OC roles as they wouldn't have involved play calling. It will interesting to see how he gets on without Shanahan - his brother didn't really set the world on fire until he teamed up with Rodgers.

Most importantly for you guys after dealing with Gase, Saleh is a fantastic leader. From rookies to the most senior vets, everyone loves and runs through walls for him. Unfortunately as a 49ers fan, along with LaFleur I wouldnt be surprised if he brings over several of the defensive FA guys that we are unlikely to be able to afford to compete against you to sign, which should help with installing his scheme and culture. Looks like you'll be the 49ers East - so another team to root for.

It's back! The off season Jets optimism has arrived early with the appointment of Robert Salah as HC! At least we can approach free agency and the draft with hope. Having listened to the excellent series of podcasts Cool your Jets did on all the candidates, Saleh would have been top of the list, so absolutely delighted the Jets got him.

It's been quiet here since the Jets hired Salah. I would like to know who do people think will be the Jets starting QB next season with all the Watson rumours going around. I think they will draft Fields from Ohio State at number 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

It's been quiet here since the Jets hired Salah. I would like to know who do people think will be the Jets starting QB next season with all the Watson rumours going around. I think they will draft Fields from Ohio State at number 2.

Watson is interesting. By all accounts the Jets are his preferred team. He's a super talented QB and the Jets have the necessary draft capital to acquire him but I think they would have to give away too much. And with the amount of holes the Jets have they need every pick they can get.

Draft Fields at number 2 and trade Darnold

I'm happy with whatever they choose really, I don't think there's a bad option. Fields and keep building is my favourite, mainly because I think Watson could be absolutely eyewatering. Fields + 3 additional other first round talents and ~ $20mil extra a year in a FA salary, in the team feels more likely to me to be a win over say the next 5 years... Watson is the safe pick though if you can get him.

Hmmm who's left now for realistic FA targets? Throw the bank at Thuney or similar and scrape up whatever WR is left and want to earn some cash?

hots wrote: »
    Hmmm who's left now for realistic FA targets? Throw the bank at Thuney or similar and scrape up whatever WR is left and want to earn some cash?

Its hard to know what they're going to do to be honest.

Theres alot of talk of Thuney, they can obviously over him the contract, but I'm not sure if he'd pick the Jets!
    We also dont know if Joe Douglas is prepared to make big splashes in FA, I do think he'll add more to the oline just not banking on it being a big name signing.

I think the same goes for WR, I dont think they'll land the bigger names like Golladay, Samuel or Smith-Schuster, but might look at the likes of Will Fuller or Corey Davis. I also think either the 2nd first rounder or 2nd rounder will be spent on WR

Theres quite a few former defensive 49ers players hitting FA as well, so wouldnt be surprised to see a couple of them end up with their former DC

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    Its hard to know what they're going to do to be honest.

Theres alot of talk of Thuney, they can obviously over him the contract, but I'm not sure if he'd pick the Jets!
    We also dont know if Joe Douglas is prepared to make big splashes in FA, I do think he'll add more to the oline just not banking on it being a big name signing.

I think the same goes for WR, I dont think they'll land the bigger names like Golladay, Samuel or Smith-Schuster, but might look at the likes of Will Fuller or Corey Davis. I also think either the 2nd first rounder or 2nd rounder will be spent on WR

Theres quite a few former defensive 49ers players hitting FA as well, so wouldnt be surprised to see a couple of them end up with their former DC

Yep I'd agree with that, not one of the top WR names but definitely one of the second tier ones. Similar for interior O Line I'd say, and then could well see us take the same again for each with 2 of our first 4 picks

Advertisement