Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

yeah definitely a lot of competition heres the roster as it stands now:
    QB: Geno Smith – Ryan Fitzpatrick – Matt Simms
    RB: Chris Ivory – Bilal Powell – Steven Ridley - Daryl Richardson
    FB: Tommy Bohannon
    WR: Brandon Marshall – Chris Owusu - Shaq Evans
    WR: Eric Decker – TJ Graham – Quincy Enunwa
    WR: Jeremy Kerley – Saalim Hakim- Walter Powell
    TE: Jace Amaro – Jeff Cumberland – Kellen Davis - Zach Sudfeld – Chris Pantale
    LT: D’Brickishaw Ferguson – James Brewer - Brent Qvale
    LG: James Carpenter – Oday Oboushi – Brian Winters
    C: Nick Mangold – Dalton Freeman
    RG: Willie Colon – Dakota Dozier - Wesley Johnson
    RT: Breno Giacomini - Corey Hillard - Ben Ijalana - Sean Hooey

DE: Muhammad Wilkerson – Legar Douzable - Stephen Bowen
    NT: Damon Harrison – TJ Barnes
    DE: Sheldon Richardson - Kevin Vickerson - Ronald Talley
    OLB: Quinton Coples - Trevor Reilly
    MLB: David Harris – Erin Henderson - Chris Young
    MLB: Demario Davis – Jamari Lattimore - Mario Harvey
    OLB: Calvin Pace – Jason Babin - IK Enemkpali
    CB: Darrelle Revis - Buster Skrine - Dexter McDougle - Darrin Walls - Keith Lewis
    CB: Antonio Cromartie - Dee Milliner – Marcus Williams - DaShaun Phillips -Curtis Brown
    FS: Marcus Gilchrist - Jaiquawn Jarrett
    SS: Calvin Pryor – Antonio Allen – Rontez Miles
    K: Nick Folk – Andrew Furney
    P: Ryan Quigley – Jacob Schum

looking at the roster right now, except for olb i don't see where a rookie could crack the starting lineup. This a good thing for me, the Jets can actually start developing players without depending on them to be immediate all pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

phatkev wrote: »

looking at the roster right now, except for olb i don't see where a rookie could crack the starting lineup. This a good thing for me, the Jets can actually start developing players without depending on them to be immediate all pro

Yeah definitely a good thing imo, I'd say there's room for someone to break into the OL if drafted highly but I'd see us going OLB first and foremost. Surprised with the Ridley signing, seems similar enough to Ivory... May mean they rotate ~50:50 and we rarely see someone else. I'd say that will stop us bringing in a rb in the draft anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

yeah definitely a lot of competition heres the roster as it stands now:
    QB: Geno Smith – Ryan Fitzpatrick – Matt Simms
    RB: Chris Ivory – Bilal Powell – Steven Ridley - Daryl Richardson
    FB: Tommy Bohannon
    WR: Brandon Marshall – Chris Owusu - Shaq Evans
    WR: Eric Decker – TJ Graham – Quincy Enunwa
    WR: Jeremy Kerley – Saalim Hakim- Walter Powell
    TE: Jace Amaro – Jeff Cumberland – Kellen Davis - Zach Sudfeld – Chris Pantale
    LT: D’Brickishaw Ferguson – James Brewer - Brent Qvale
    LG: James Carpenter – Oday Oboushi – Brian Winters
    C: Nick Mangold – Dalton Freeman
    RG: Willie Colon – Dakota Dozier - Wesley Johnson
    RT: Breno Giacomini - Corey Hillard - Ben Ijalana - Sean Hooey

DE: Muhammad Wilkerson – Legar Douzable - Stephen Bowen
    NT: Damon Harrison – TJ Barnes
    DE: Sheldon Richardson - Kevin Vickerson - Ronald Talley
    OLB: Quinton Coples - Trevor Reilly
    MLB: David Harris – Erin Henderson - Chris Young
    MLB: Demario Davis – Jamari Lattimore - Mario Harvey
    OLB: Calvin Pace – Jason Babin - IK Enemkpali
    CB: Darrelle Revis - Buster Skrine - Dexter McDougle - Darrin Walls - Keith Lewis
    CB: Antonio Cromartie - Dee Milliner – Marcus Williams - DaShaun Phillips -Curtis Brown
    FS: Marcus Gilchrist - Jaiquawn Jarrett
    SS: Calvin Pryor – Antonio Allen – Rontez Miles
    K: Nick Folk – Andrew Furney
    P: Ryan Quigley – Jacob Schum

Looks like jam packed roster. I'd say he is trying to fill every hole possible before he drafts a QB!

drafts a QB!

g1379092610384759364.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Likewise looking at that offensive line on the right side needs addressing. That bloke we got from Seattle whose Italian name I can't spell was pretty poor last year. Have a lasting memory of him getting beat repeatedly at the line. Slowly turning towards drafting Mariota due to the success of free agency. Still think O-line and linebacker are more pressing needs/value at 6

yeah if we stay at 6 I would hope for one of the edge rushers or Cooper, I dont think any of the O-line players offer any value at 6, but I would be happy to trade back for one. In an ideal world the Browns would fall in love with someone and trade up to 6 given the Jets their two firsts and get someone like Dupree and D.J. Humphries/La'el Collins , not happening but it would be nice

It might be the pints talking but that can't be fresh? You would think it would look a mess if it was fresh. Either way he might need to write another team over it. I wouldn't have an issue with the jets drafting a RB anywhere from round 3 onwards. You can't have enough backs in this league.

Surely not actually him?

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    It might be the pints talking but that can't be fresh? You would think it would look a mess if it was fresh. Either way he might need to write another team over it. I wouldn't have an issue with the jets drafting a RB anywhere from round 3 onwards. You can't have enough backs in this league.

both he and Ivory have one year contracts, I'm going to assume whoever has the better season will get the contract extention

I have seen a few mocks with Yeldon going to us in the 4th. I would be surprised if he lasts that long but he would definitely be a value pick at that stage.
    Returning to my favourite subject of QBs I see we are being heavily linked with Hundley with some projecting him to us in the 3rd or 4th round. I hope not as we already have 1 Geno and I dont think there is any need to draft Geno 2.0. If we trade for picks in the 5th or 6th maybe but there should be players who can contribute immediately still available in rds 3 and 4. if we stay away from QBs altogether I hope we can at least start rebuilding the O line to give the current/future QBs a better chance to succeed.

Just had a look at Todd McShays latest mock draft. He has Gurley going to the Jets at 6.......Fcuk that!!!! I don't care how good a RB is taken one in the top 10 is just not worth it. In other news they have exercised Quinton Coples 5th year option

Just had a look at Todd McShays latest mock draft. He has Gurley going to the Jets at 6.......Fcuk that!!!! I don't care how good a RB is taken one in the top 10 is just not worth it. In other news they have exercised Quinton Coples 5th year option

Not going to happen, we have 2 strong RBs already, even taking one in the 2nd would be surprising.

Happy enough with Coples, we're so short at OLB we should hold onto him.

hots wrote: »
    Happy enough with Coples, we're so short at OLB we should hold onto him.

Yeah looking forward to seeing what Bowles does with Coples, could have a big year

Yeah looking forward to seeing what Bowles does with Coples, could have a big year

Depending on if we use our first pick on an OLB or not he may be the key man in a blitz-heavy defense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

McShay is a moron.

Gurley as 6, he's not well. Trying to figure out what Mariota will translate to in the NFL. Making a very rough/lazy comparison as I think Mariota will have a better career in the long run, but would we take a QB at Kaepernick's level as our starter for the next x amount of years or would you take someone like Cooper if both were available. Didn't think I'd be turned but I'm edging towards Mariota if he's there at 6. Reasonably confident I know what Geno is at this point and that's not a long term solution at QB for the Jets. I think we will see a better year for the Jets this year with an overall better record leaving us in a worse solution to take a starting QB in 2016.

franglan wrote: »
    Gurley as 6, he's not well. Trying to figure out what Mariota will translate to in the NFL. Making a very rough/lazy comparison as I think Mariota will have a better career in the long run, but would we take a QB at Kaepernick's level as our starter for the next x amount of years or would you take someone like Cooper if both were available. Didn't think I'd be turned but I'm edging towards Mariota if he's there at 6. Reasonably confident I know what Geno is at this point and that's not a long term solution at QB for the Jets. I think we will see a better year for the Jets this year with an overall better record leaving us in a worse solution to take a starting QB in 2016.

Glad to see someone coming around to my way of thinking. Who knows how long until the Jets have another chance at a possible franchise quarterback. However the more I read the more I think Mariota will be gone before number 6. Not sure who I want then but definitely not Gurley.

• Advertisement

From listening to a couple of "insiders" today I think he'll be gone by 6 too. Likely he doesn't get by 2. Either the Titans take him and A. He develops into their starter, B. They draft him trade him on draft night before preseason etc. or C. Someone trades picks with them and that's where the Rivers/Chargers/Anyone else desperate enough for Mariota trade scenario comes in to play. I don't think I'd be willing to move up for him especially not to 2 as it would most likely cost a 2nd this year and probably a 2nd next year at a minimum.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/why_jets_mike_maccagnan_studied_pittsburgh_steeler.html

some snippets of Mike Maccagnan's pre draft press conference, definitely seems like the type of GM that would rather trade down and stock pile picks as apposed to trading up.
    When it comes to dealing with the media he's the complete opposite of John Idzik

When it comes to dealing with the media he's the complete opposite of John Idzik

Lets hope he's the opposite when it comes to drafting as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

agreed but rex was just as poor on the line as well i think he tried to pass on the blame at times before the end , a couple of defensive line men would be a good start though

, a couple of defensive linemen would be a good start though

I think the one group on this team that doesnt need improvements is the d-line, its stacked!! Linebacker yes, but not the d-line

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

I cannot wait for this draft tomorrow.

Rappaport saying Maccagnan is shopping our pick around in both directions.

Whether it happens or not, it is great to see the GM at least keeping options open

• Advertisement

From listening to him talk I think its definitely more likely that he looks to trade down the board. If they stay a 6 a lot of the draftniks seem to think its either Bud Dupree or Brandon Scherff, if Mariota is off the board. I think 6 is to high for either of these, but if i had to pick I'd go with Dupree. Bowles defenses have seem to make good use of bigger linebackers in the past, so if it is Dupree at 6 I think Bowles will have a clear idea of how he's going to be used

Your newest Jet. I'm so happy they decided to go BPA

Leonard-Williams-CBS-Player-Of-The-Week.jpg

congrats on that pickup guys what an incredible line. means your linebacker are going to be running free now

Wow! Delighted they took him, no idea how he slipped down to us! The only question is do we convert to a 4-3 or is Mo getting traded?

Unreal to pick up the top ranked player in the draft @ #6, OLines live in fear!

• Advertisement

Bowles has said they will stay with the 3-4 defense, but I think he'll be similar to Rex and use multiply fronts. Mike Maccagnan said pretty much right after the pick that he wasnt looking to trade Mo. if they do trade Mo, I dont think I be nearly as happy about the pick

means your linebacker are going to be running free now

well one of them LB's is Calvin Paceasaurus, so I'd assume it would be more of a light jog than a run when it comes to him:pac:

well one of them LB's is Calvin Paceasaurus, so I'd assume it would be more of a light jog than a run when it comes to him:pac:

A general amble around...

From the sounds of it we're staying 3-4 anyway so it'll be lots of rotation I'm guessing. Relentless aggression!

Would be fantastic to pick up Gregory if he's still around, would have an incredible defense pretty much sorted in every position for the next 2/3 years (Revis decline permitting). Would allow us to compete in every game this year and would mean after that focusing on offense for at least a draft and a half or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Is Muhammad Wilkerson not the subject of some speculation he may be on his way to a different team?

Is Muhammad Wilkerson not the subject of some speculation he may be on his way to a different team?

lots of speculation, but mike maccagnan has said they're not actively looking to shop him.

fairly happy with the Smith pick, a real deep ball threat, and if theres one thing Geno can kinda do well it is throwing deep balls

DEVIN-SMITH-CATCH.gif

He was making acrobatic one handed catches before ODB:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cracking read on your new 3rd round draft pick:

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/23/lorenzo-mauldin-2015-nfl-draft-louisville/

Paully D wrote: »

I remember watching a segment about him, he's being through so much ****.
    on the field he plays like an absolute psychopath, looking forward to seeing what Bowles can do with him

Heres that video about Mauldin

Its going to be pretty easy to root for this guy

• Advertisement

Wow really happy with these picks so far, Big Mac looking good:)

Happy enough so far but remain to be convinced about Devin Smith. I think Maudlin could be a real steal in round 3. I hope we can address the oline today. Glowinski a guard from West Virginia could be a good pick in round 4 or 5. Tyler Varga an RB from Yale could be another value pick. After that maybe a QB but not sure if I like any that are left and also a TE maybe Blake Bell or Nick O Leary. Anyway didnt get any pick right so far but enyoyed trying.

I hope we can address the oline today.

I definitely think they will be addressing this sooner rather than later, TJ Clemmings and Tre Jackson are two other names that I wouldn't mind hearing

Well this is getting ridiculous, picked up Petty who's perfect to sit and learn for a while and then we took an OLman who from all the reports looks to have plenty of potential and dropped further than expected. It's turning into a pretty stacked squad if everyone turns up next season.

I really really dislike the Petty pick. he's old, can't handle pressure and imo he has regressed during his final year in college.
    In other news they have acquired Zac Stacy from the rams for a 7 rounder, a decent bit of business

Dont like the Petty pick either. Overall the roster is on much better condition than the way Idzik left it and I would like to think we could be competitive this year. But if you look at the 4 QBs we have going to camp you would have to be worried. I don't think Geno will ever click like some expect him to but I live in hope that either him or Fitzpatrick can do enough not to cost too many games.

Here's a interesting piece on the breakdown of Todd Bowles defense. Goes through how he could make use of multiple DE/DTs, it also goes into how he used safeties/nickel CBs in Arizona and what it might mean for Calvin Pyrors playing time.
    http://thejetsblog.com/bga/bga-breaking-down-the-2015-jets-defense/?utm_content=bufferc9924&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Here's a interesting piece on the breakdown of Todd Bowles defense. Goes through how he could make use of multiple DE/DTs, it also goes into how he used safeties/nickel CBs in Arizona and what it might mean for Calvin Pyrors playing time.
    http://thejetsblog.com/bga/bga-breaking-down-the-2015-jets-defense/?utm_content=bufferc9924&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    Praised it on reddit yesterday, illustrates our flexibility really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

Away from all the NE mad forums, what are your guys thoughts on the Brady saga?
    What sort of penalties do you think they are looking at?

I think he will get 1-2 games and the club will be fined for the conduct of their employees.

• Advertisement

I fully expected fines to be handed out to the Pats Organization but I didnt think there would be any suspensions handed out, but according to the NY Daily news(which I'd take this with a pinch of salt) Brady will be suspended.

heres some of Damien Woodys view (he also makes Tedy Bruschi sound like an idiot, which isnt that hard when I think about it)
    http://espn.go.com/boston/video/clip?id=12848278&ex_cid=espnapi_public

Advertisement