Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gels/Acrylics - Do or Dont?

• 28-04-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Ive just got a new job and feel like treating myself to some new nails.

I usually paint my nails or wear false nails that I do myself at home. Ive heard good and bad things about gels and acrylics and just wondering if people here could give me their opinions and experiences please?

I love the look of them, so just wondering do they damage your nails? Whats the difference between the two? And any recommendations of someone good in cork?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I've had gel nails once and wouldn't get them again. Not for anything.

My own nails were in bits afterwards, so weak and they peeled and broke easily. Took the nearly a year for them to get back to how they were before.

It totally put me off false nails, gel nails, any nails really. Now I just paint my nails as I know the polish won't damage my nails the way the gel nails did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

Thanks for the reply. A few people have said that it damages them, and some say they dont. But the amount saying they do seems to be more.

Did you find they left your nails the same way as after false nails? i.e. just a little dry, and you have to file off the bits of glue, or was it worse?

It was far, far worse than false nails.

My nails were peeling and breaking, they were so so fragile.

The damage left by fails nails is no where near as bad as the damage left by gel nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

don't don't don't.... you'll destroy your nails. bio-sculpture gel over lay is the only one I'd ever recommended (and that's me typing as a qualified acrylic nail technician lol) acrylic & gel wreck your nails!!!

Thanks for the advice ladies :)

Id say il steer clear.. Ive already wrecked my hair so dont need to do it to my nails haha :p:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Gel nails absolutely destroyed my nails! They were dry, brittle, and really quite sore! You couldn't pay me to get them again!

Sounds horrible!! Il definitely be sticking to the false nails so.

Dont think i could cope with them snapping off all the time, wouldnt look too nice id imagine.

I was only tempted to get them because Ive heard a few people telling me of people that are doin it from home for less than 20e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Eh-snapping? Gel nails dont snap. :confused:

I wrote there last week in another thread about gels.

If you have naturally lovely long strong nails, dont get them. Your nail underneath will weaken. If you have such nails, just get them manicured.

If, like me, you have crappy nails that grow, but snag, break etc despite nail hardners and the like, and also it is out of laziness (you dont have to think of your nails for 3 weeks), then gels might suit you.

Ive been getting them for 6 + months now and I love them. I wouldnt have any nails anyways (as per above). The length of the nail is my own/grown, but the layers on top are gel. They dont snap or fall off (unless I imagine there is some mighty force on them). If you have no length on your nails, the technician will glue on tips. These will be filed down/cut each time you go back as your own nail grows.

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Eh-snapping? Gel nails dont snap. :confused

I meant breaking, as a previous poster said that they can have a tendancy to break and peel.

My own nails are quite strong, and generally long, although in the last 2 or so months ive found myself biting them due to stress in my job.. but since i have a new job i thought id do something to help them look a little better.

Did you find that although your own nails had a chance to grow,that they werent that strong?

I meant breaking, as a previous poster said that they can have a tendancy to break and peel.
    Did you mean by posts?

If so, I didn't mean that gel nails break and peel, I meant my own natural nails, which is what my natural nails did after the gel nails came off.

• Advertisement

I didn't mean that gel nails break and peel, I meant my own natural nails, which is what my natural nails did after the gel nails came off.

Oh sorry about that, I just misunderstood. Sorry Lovely Muffin :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Did you find that although your own nails had a chance to grow,that they werent that strong?

My own nails are very weak under them-no question there. But I wouldnt have any nails anyways (as said above snags/biting/not taking care of them enough)-thats why gels suit me. When the gel is on top of my nail, they are as hard as a rock.

If you have naturally stong nails and look after them, would advise to just get a manicure every few weeks-shellac (soft gel) and gels (hard gel)do strong healthy nails no favours and will without doubt make them weak.

The gel if done properly will not come off. I have seen one case (a colleague of mine) who got gels on and they literally peeled off her own nails. She got them done again and same thing happened. She was told she had oily nail beds (not sure if that is a viable excuse or if they just werent put on properly) but Ive never had a problem. The gel is welded to your own nail. They dont snap or break.

Advertisement