Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improvised Explosive Device

• 28-04-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Controlled explosion on device
    Saturday April 28 2012

Army bomb experts have carried out a controlled explosion on a device found in Co Tipperary.

A bomb disposal team made safe the improvised explosive device (IED) in Roscrea early on Saturday.

The security operation started at 02.45am after the device was found near a vehicle.

The scene was declared safe at 04.40am.

It was the 70th time the bomb squad was called out in 2012 and the 22nd time a viable IED was dealt with, so far this year.

© Press Association

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/controlled-explosion-on-device-3094844.html

:confused:

Who is making these IEDs and why?

While the bomb in Newry seems to have obvious suspects, I'm wondering who are the suspects in these 22 viable IED's found in Ireland this year.

Since they use the term IED rather than bomb, I assume that they may not have been too sophisticated or large in size or expected impact. The term IED is vague enough to cover many possibilities however.

I can think of 3 possibilities, teens / tweens (20+), paramilitaries or criminal gangs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Gangs I'd bet.

I'd say they are probably mostly pipe bombs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Gangs I'd bet.

Do you have any motives for shifting the blame onto criminal gangs?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Gangs I'd bet.

Yes, pipe bombs seem likely, as does the gangs theory; I think that drug gangs were mentioned in relation to a previous one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Turtyturd wrote: »

People who make bombs are criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Drive-by Shootings, Father.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    lol no, I'd just be very surprised if it wasnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

The good citizens of this fair land preparing for the "Irish Spring"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Depends who you're making them for really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Thrill wrote: »
    The good citizens of this fair land preparing for the "Irish Spring"

The soap or mineral water?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Spring

http://www.irishspringwater.com/irishspringwater/asp/page.asp?p=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Often these ieds are found near someone "known to the guards" even if not reported in the press. Usually locals will know more about it. Smoke and fire etc.

Depends who you're making them for really.

no it doesn't, a bomb is just used to destroy persons and property. A cowards weapon at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

is an ied just any bomb that isn't used by an internationally recognised state?

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    With Iraq Afghanistan its become a catch all (lazy) term for any type of bomb really... Like most bombs during the troubles would today be called IEDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

thought this was about Guinness farts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

usually.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Republican groups targeting drug dealers in Limerick and Dublin. Or maybe they were being made their to be moved up North. The IRA stored weapons and trained in Tipp for years.

no it doesn't, a bomb is just used to destroy persons and property. A cowards weapon at best.

Yeah but you're missing the point, re: anybody who makes a bomb is a criminal.

As I said it depends who you're making the bombs for.

Yeah but you're missing the point, re: anybody who makes a bomb is a criminal.

As I said it depends who you're making the bombs for.

Bombs kill people, it doesn't matter what shirt they wear they are still people and its a crime to kill people... unless of course they aren't the same religion as you then its fine I suppose... carry on.

Bombs kill people, it doesn't matter what shirt they wear they are still people and its a crime to kill people... unless of course they aren't the same religion as you then its fine I suppose... carry on.

"Crime" implies that it is illegal.

• Advertisement

Those Jedi and their rebel alliance must be crushed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I can think of 3 possibilities, teens / tweens (20+), paramilitaries or criminal gangs.

Let's not ignore the real issue here; a tween is a preadolescent child (10 to 12 years old).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

At a glance I thought the thread was "improvised explosive dance".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

"Crime" implies that it is illegal.

So is your point that is isn't illegal to kill people ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not the good bombs though? The freedom and democracy bombs? The ensuring security bombs? The 'surgical strike' bombs? The helping little girls go to school bombs?

Shirley those are good bombs made by good men and women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I think an IED is like a bomb, but without the word 'bomb' written on it like in the cartoons.

IEDs normally have a red wire, a blue wire, and a digital clock that makes a ticking noise as it does a countdown. Sometimes they have vials of liquid.

z

[edit - this may be an IED, but clearly the wires are the wrong colour and there's an analog clock instead.]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

you might need to rethink that 1, or do you have a certain criteria that qualifies it to be a bomb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Although I am not a fan of the use of the term IED to describe bombs or mines, the description has nothing to do with who uses it or how complex or sophisticated it is. It simply means it was created from components not originally designed for the purpose. The reason the term is almost invariably applied to non state actors is because States have the opportunity to go shopping from catalogs of purpose built devices.

Look I agree with you, I suppose I'm being a bit of a pedantic dick really.

The point still stands though, thousands of people, maybe even hundreds of thousands of people are not alone not breaking their states law; but are even paying taxes on the money they earn from manufacturing bombs.

• Advertisement

Maybe he/she means that you can be someone who works for a company that makes bombs legally, like for the military, or something like that.

Why the fcuk he/she doesn't explain what he/she means is beyond me.

Look I agree with you, I suppose I'm being a bit of a pedantic dick really.

The point still stands though, thousands of people, maybe even hundreds of thousands of people are not alone not breaking their states law; but are even paying taxes on the money they earn from manufacturing bombs.

Yeah i understand, I just don't think the lad that wrote "thou shalt not kill" will see it any different though.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    So is your point that is isn't illegal to kill people ?

Ehh and you can't think of any circumstance with people are killed by guns and bombs legally? Think about it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Republican groups targeting drug dealers in Limerick and Dublin. Or maybe they were being made their to be moved up North. The IRA stored weapons and trained in Tipp for years.

:confused: really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

An IED is an improvised explosive device. Its a term that is now commonly used to describe "bombs" used against organised military forces. An IED implies that it's a simple/crude device but they can be quite complex. It simply means a bomb made of of things that were not originally meant to be bombs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Although I am not a fan of the use of the term IED to describe bombs or mines, the description has nothing to do with who uses it or how complex or sophisticated it is. It simply means it was created from components not originally designed for the purpose. The reason the term is almost invariably applied to non state actors is because States have the opportunity to go shopping from catalogs of purpose built devices.

The Indo called the one in Newry a bomb.
    A van bomb found near the Co Down border contained 600lbs of homemade explosive and was "ready to go", PSNI officers revealed today.

The one in Roscrea was described as an IED. The news, Indo, RTE etc. seem to always call them an IED if they are found in Ireland and a bomb, such as pipe, car. etc. if they are found in Northern Ireland.
    A bomb disposal team made safe the improvised explosive device (IED) in Roscrea early on Saturday.

The police seem to just say "device" so I wonder why this distinction is made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zagmund wrote: »
    I think an IED is like a bomb, but without the word 'bomb' written on it like in the cartoons.

IEDs normally have a red wire, a blue wire, and a digital clock that makes a ticking noise as it does a countdown. Sometimes they have vials of liquid.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0074205
    Kitty: It's got a single hand timing mechanism, four wires at the top...
    Dan: Right.
    Kitty: One of these wires leads to the trigger. One leads to the triggering mechanism, one leads to the trigger guard, and one leads to all three. There are also three fake triggers, and four fake trigger guards. One trigger looks like a detonator, one looks like a trigger guard, and one trigger looks like a trigger.
    Dan: Right...
    Kitty: Now, about the detonators. You've got eight detonators, but don't let 'em fool you, they're all fake-
    Dan: Look, this bomb is no fake. I've gotta do something fast. I'm gonna cut the yellow wire.
    Kitty: No, Dan, don't! It could be the blue one! You cut the wrong one and you blow it!
    Dan: I'm cutting yellow. (Cuts a wire, bomb stops ticking)

-->

[Later, after Dan has returned to the cabin]
    Kitty: I spoke to Scotty, and you were right about cutting the yellow wire.
    Dan: Aaah..
    Kitty: What is it?
    Dan: I cut the blue one.

-->

[Bomb explodes]

Advertisement